Brighter neck humbucker...Is it out there??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bushmill, Jul 29, 2005.

1. bushmill

bushmill Supporting Member

I have an Epi Sheraton that has been upgraded with the Duncan 59/JB combo and the neck pickup is just too dark for me...Anyone have any suggestions for a brighter, more trebly, neck pickup? I have an Edwards LP clone with a set of WGR Fillmores and love the balance of those two in that guitar...Any suggestions to get away from the Jazz neck tone I've got going on?? Finally, does anyone have pot upgrade experience for the Sheraton? If so, what pots and how does it effect the tone?
    Cheers!
    :BEER

2. ricoh

ricoh Member

Crossroads are brighter in general and 500k pots will get you a brighter sound too. You can also add caps and a resistor across the volume pot. It comes -w- a prewired true tone upgrade kit from RSGuitarworks already { www.rsguitarworks.com } attached. I removed it because it was to bright for my tastes. Maybe some one who is a tech can tell you what values and what to do. Working on a Sheraton is a hassle as well. Fishing out the electronics is a bit of a project........ all IMHO of course!!!!!
    Rico

3. aeolian

aeolian Member

That 59/JB combination is what came in Fender RF Ultras and many Bakers. But RF has a Pearly Gates in the neck of his Baker. I heard the difference at a clinic when someone brought in a stock Baker and he played both. The PG was much more open and chimey. Might be the ticket for your Epi. It should have 500K pots already. I'm not a fan of 500K's in Fenders or 1Meg's in Gibson's. Starts to sound brittle and sterile to me instead of just having a more sparkly top end. YMMV

4. cnardone

cnardone Supporting Member

I've got a Harmonic Design in the Neck of a semi hollow Chapin. No muddiness at all. Great pickup

cmn

5. KRosser

KRosser Member

The Harmonic Designs are really great pickups. They are, however, VERY sensitive to height adjustment, so if you fiddle with them a bit I'm sure you can find the sweet spot.

Also, the Duncan Jazz neck pickup is a pretty bright-sounding neck pickup

6. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

+1 (Ignore the silly name, it's not a "Jazz" pu). A while back I put a Jazz/JB combo in a friends Sheraton and it works great on that guitar, keeping its natural warmth and woodiness but opening up the top very nicely.

7. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

I have a Heritage 535, with Schaller Golden 50's. This has been the brightest humbucker that I have found. Heritage retro fits their new HRW's into guitars, so they should be a source for the older Schaller's. I also have a Sheraton that I like a lot.

8. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

+1

Don't blow major bucks on new PUPs until you first try a pair of $2 500K pots with the ones you have now, it may be all you need to do.

9. markman

markman Member

Bill Lawrence L450's. They're plenty bright with no mud.

10. Gearhead

Gearhead Member

Although I have't tried all the above, there wasn't a production neck pickup I ever liked, all too muddy. The closest was a Duncan Seth Lovers. Ended up going with custom wound neck pups; Alnico 2 mags and asymetrical bobbin winding ( Wolfetone Pickups -he does great work.)

11. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Almost P90 like.............:cool:

12. Ayan

Ayan Member

I agree with the Seth Lover for the neck position, which is what I use in my 335 (in which I have tried a few other things as well). You may not like the fact that it's not potted and therefore can be noisy -- I potted mine.

However, there is something else you can do, and that is to take apart whichever pickup is currently in your guitar and, very carefully, start unwinding the slug polepiece coil. I have done that to quite a few pickups; I take off enough windings to reduce the coil's DC resistance (which is say 3-4K on average) by about 500 ohms or so. The result is a pickup with unbalanced coils, which will have a lot more chime to it. Liny Fralin makes this type of pickup and call's it the "unbucker" and I believe Seymour Duncan does too. For what it's worth, the coils in my Seth Lover are no matched, at least not as much as say Gibson Classis 57s are.

Gil

13. bigroy

bigroy Member

I'm gonna log into this one so I can catch every post.

I just bought an Agile 2900 with the chambered body. I played my first gig with it last night. The bridge pickup suits me fine, but the neck pickup is really dark and muffled.

When upgrading to 500k pots, do you replace both the volume and tone pots or either one individually?

I was thinking about a Seth Lover in the neck, but may go the pot route first.

14. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Wire the neck hb coils in parallel before you throw it out.

15. supryl

supryl Member

Adjust your amp settings after the neck pickup and roll off on the tone control when you use the bridge pickup!:)

16. John Bell

John Bell Member

Duncan stag mag.Rio Grande Tallboy humbucker.Fralin un bucker,Anderson HO1- or a low output HD Z90.

The neck postion has always been a problem for me with 2 bucker guitars.That's why I like single coils in any postion other than the neck.You can even get humbucker mounting rings that hold one single coil pickup.Chiba has them on his PRS.Cool idea.Wish I had seen those when I played a PRS or LP.

17. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Out of the question as it requires buying nothing new.

:D

18. tiptone

tiptone Silver Supporting Member

bigroy: I've got the same guitar and I'm pretty sure that it came with 500K pots already. I'm sure you could switch out for a better pot, but it should already be 500K.

19. supryl

supryl Member

Haha! :)

20. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

I have WCR Crossroads in my SG Standard, and playing clean to lightly overdriven I have been in love with my neck PU lately. I wouldn't say that it is "bright" (that makes me think of a tele bridge PU) but it is very balanced with smokey low mids and a nice chime to the top end that is beautiful. FWIW, this is with 500K pots wired to 50s spec. I love these PUs.:D