Brightest thick pick?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by scr@tchy, May 20, 2011.

1. scr@tchy

scr@tchy Member

I currently use a Dunlop Tortex .60. I use these because I find that the tone is brighter and more articulate, if I try to go to the .73 I hear the attack get more dull and I run back to the .60.

I want to try a thicker pick, could some of you tell which ones you think are the brightest sounding?

2. cajone5

cajone5 Some guy Silver Supporting Member

If you want bright you can't go wrong with the v-pick screamer. That thing really gives you a bright attack.

3. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

I agree. Try a V-pick.

If the regular 2.75mm scares you, try one of the "light" models at 1.5 mm.

(and .73 is still very thin, IMO).

4. DanHorse

DanHorse Member

Brightest ones i have found are the Timber Tones wooden picks, variety of woods available, pretty thick. Cant remember which one i got that was the brightest but it sounds utterly unlike any plastic pick.

5. MarkF786

MarkF786 Member

I never liked the chirp I got when using v-picks. I bought six different styles and never liked any of them after repeated trials.

I generally find thin picks are brighter and thick picks are duller (or "warmer") so I switch picks according to the guitar or music I'm playing.

One exception are Guitar Craft trianglular picks; since they have very pointy tips, they are bright at any gauge.

I'm curious, why do you want a thick pick that sounds like a thin pick? Is it a comfort thing?

6. DraggAmps

DraggAmps Member

Did you use sharp V Picks? My sharp V Picks are the brightest that I've used, especially the super sharp Dimension. I have a 2mm Blue Chip that is pretty warm but the smaller, thinner, and sharper ones are supposed to be quite bright. There's a Jazz III style Blue Chip that is very bright, I suspect. Also, the smaller or medium speed beveled ones in thicknesses of 1.5 or thinner would probably be plenty bright. They do start at $35 though, but the material is self lubricating and with the speed bevel, they just glide over the strings. Plus, I'd be willing to bet that any single BC pick would last longer that $35 worth of 12 pack Dunlops or Fenders. People who have owned them for years will tell you that can't even see any wear at all yet.

7. DraggAmps

DraggAmps Member

And yes, the thick pick thing is about feel. A 4.1mm thick is extremely comfortable. Plus, the thicker the pick, the longer and more gradual the bevel, so, even if it's a sharp tip, it just slides of the strings like butter. Thinner picks catch and bounce all over the place in comparison. They resist more and are tiring to grip into. There's also picks like Blue Chip that aren't as thick, but have a speed bevel and very hard, self-lubricating material that slides over the strings as easily if not more easy.

8. 8len8

8len8 Member

9. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

Ultem is indeed a bright sounding material. Clayton only makes them up to 1.2 mm. I thought they sound too thin (no pun intended) even at this gauge. Wish they would make them 2.00mm + Then again, .60 and .73 gauge picks sound thin to me, pretty much regardless of the material.

I bought 24 of them, still have at least 20 unused.

10. Steve73

Steve73 Member

I'd say Dunlop Stubby's. I found the material they are made out of bright.

11. Bryan T

Bryan T guitar owner Silver Supporting Member

Yep. Bright and thin in my hands. I had similar results with the V-Picks that I bought.

I have some bone, stone, and metal picks that are also very bright. I only use them for special effects.

12. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

Beat me to it.

13. helio

helio Member

Try a couple different coins. Seriously. I believe a few well known pros do this (of course, only one I can think of is Billy Gibbons, who reportedly uses a peso.

I don't use a coin regularly, but here and there I'll pick up a quarter, a nickel, or some other coin, and love the tones I can get with it. Use it sometimes on some Dead covers, 'cause it gives me a steely attack that hints at Garcia's bright, shiny tones.

At the very least, try different coins, and have some fun hearing how their different edges (thickness, serrated or smooth) really change the tones.

14. scr@tchy

scr@tchy Member

I just feel like experimenting. I like the way thick picks sound when others use them and I wonder if they could ever be an option for me. I also wonder if I will have easier control over dynamics with a thicker pick. Using a thinner pick for me was always a technique compromise, but I love the tone so much that I find myself drawn to them and don't mind the extra practice I need to get comfortable with them. Who knows though, I may find something out if I look around.:omg

15. otaypanky

otaypanky Gold Supporting Member

I made these from old silver coins. I've seen people selling silver coin picks on eBay for not a lot of $ as I recall

[​IMG]

16. DraggAmps

DraggAmps Member

How do you do it? They look stretched?

17. nrandall85

nrandall85 Member

Not a fan of v picks. Try to track down some Adamas 2mm graphite picks. They're bright and they have an excellent bounce to them. I don't know whose idea it was to ever discontinue them.

18. Ipressthebutton

Ipressthebutton Member

I just got some of the Dunlop Ultex Jazz 2.0s and they are very bright. I have been using the Adamas graphites for years and alway tend to gravitate back to them. If you can't find any, Telefunken is making graphites now very similar to the Adamas picks. They also have one the shape of a Big Stubby.

19. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Supporting Member

I had to wean myself away from these after the chirp became annoying. The worst part is that they felt great and I very quickly became used to playing them.

20. Steve73

Steve73 Member

Yeah, me too. I loved the thickness and the way the Stubby's played but I had to admit the chirp was too much eventually. I replaced them with the Dunlop 205, which I love. Same thickness, similar shape, but it gets a nice warm, smooth tone, but still fairly neutral.