Brimar 6V6

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by r9player, Jun 26, 2006.

1. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Well I finally found a 6V6 amp that sounded like something I'd like a lot, more on that later.
    Then RL in Fla said I should get some Brimar 6V6s .. and I did (from KCA very fast thanks!).
    Originally it had JJs and wow the Brimars ROCK!
    More headroom, better sounding cleans, seemingly more output as well and great over drive sounds.
    Very very happy, and superfast service! :dude

2. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

Yep I've got Brimars in my Super Champ (also from KCA) and they sound superb. Nice cleans and very smooth over driven sounds.

3. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

So far I've liked old Sylvania 6V6s the best. But I guess I oughta give the Brimars a spin, eh?

4. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Same here. I have Brimar CV511s (British military-spec 6V6s) in my Mesa Blue Angel. The difference from the stock tubes to these was like getting a better amp - incredibly smooth transition to breakup, so much so that you can barely tell where the clean ends and the overdrive begins, it just becomes progressively thicker.

guitar007 likes this.
  5. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Excellent tubes, probably why I've sold over 3,000 of them, many to repeat customers.

They'e almost gone though, so if you need a lifetime supply (or a 5 year supply), better hurry.

6. Tony Foran

Tony Foran Supporting Member

Mike
    Will they survive in a Jim Kelley?

7. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

I have been wanting to try new tubes in my /13 combo amp. What do you think Brimars will do for a /13 SJT?

8. Reeek

Reeek Member

I did a 12 tube 6V6 shoot out in my Hi Mu head with all the tubes except one being the most revered 6V6 tubes in the world and the winner was the Brimar (hands down) that I got from KCA. I already have a 10 year supply on hand :D

John Phillp's analogy is spot on in my experience although a different tube. Even against the RCA BP's, Bendix 5992, Mullard military grade and Hytrons (Hytrons are one of my all time sleeper favortites), the KCA supplied Brimar was like a new and better amp as soon as I dropped it in. The preamp tubes for all 12 6V6's was a long plate Mullard.

The clarity, output and sustain along with smooth breakup was a notch above.

Of course one could disclaim the values of all these vintage tubes vary and any tube of the same brand may sound better than others however I have more than one of every tube I own except the 5992 and I made sure to swap same brand tubes around, even some that weren't matched, and the outcome was still the Brimar everytime in my little private test.

9. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

They have in the past, but you're on your own. I warranty to 450V, beyond that it's at your own risk.

10. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Were the Hytrons close to the Brimar? Thinking of getting some of those.

11. Reeek

Reeek Member

I love the Hytrons big time. Enough that I have 4 NIB matched pairs for the future. One of the smoothest overdrives I have heard IMHO . . .

Way worth the money I think. I like them over RCA's almost everytime although I have a couple of "special" RCA BP's I keep fresh. Those two special RCA's are out of a 16 RCA 6V6 stash though so the Hytrons beat out 14 BP RCA's easily to my ears.

Worth a try for sure.

guitar007 likes this.
  12. Sam Evans

Sam Evans Compliance Officer Gold Supporting Member

I love my quad of Brimar 6V6s. Each one sounds great in my Microbaby, and just a sgreat in my SJT 10/20.

13. nek

nek Member

I have a 5G9 Tremolux that is unbelievably hard on 6V6's. Brimars are the only tube that's stood up to the amp.

14. Tony Foran

Mine is also a 1x10. Just back from Jim Kelley. It has the JJs in it now and it sounds great but I would like to try the Brimars.

15. Tony Foran

How about 515? :NUTS

16. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

The Hytrons are MEGA sleepers but catching on and the supply is running low on them as well.

17. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

515? Yeah, that's sick alright!

515 > 450 therefore.......