Brimar 6V6'es - um, yeah..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by pir8matt, Sep 19, 2008.

1. pir8matt

pir8matt Member

I got a set of NOS 6V6 Brimars from Mike over at http://kcanostubes.com and put them in my /13 FTR37 today.

I really wondered about this, because I had a set of what seemed to be perfectly good Tung-sol reissues in it, but...wow. I had no idea what a difference those Brimars would make.

But yeah, I put them in, biased it, and used it at practice with my band for about 3 hours.

Just amazing. I won't bore you with hyperbole here. If you're wondering "do they make a difference?", the answer is yes, yes they do, and its wonderful. They're kinda spendy, but until someone can make new tubes that make your amp sound like these do, they're in a class by themselves, I think.

Just had to share. Carry on.

BloozDouche and Tony-Cliffton like this.
  2. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

OH YEAH - Brimars are the BOMB for 6v6s. I've got one waiting for my Victoria 518 after my GE goes. I can only imagine how GREAT they sound in a Divided By 13!!! (I've got a set of Siemens EL34s waiting for my LDW 17/39).

3. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

I was like you and figured no way could NOS tubes make a difference until I stuck some Mullards in my JCM 800. Holy crap the difference was more than audible, it was amazing.

Tony-Cliffton likes this.
  4. pir8matt

pir8matt Member

I've heard the difference with mullard pre's in a plexi clone my friend built. We were A/B'ing it against an original '69 plexi, and the clone sounded more 'sterile', a little more modern I guess, but then we dropped just one old mullard pre in an it and completely changed the character of the amp, immediately.

Crazy stuff! I gotta save up to buy a backup set!

5. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Exactly! I filled my preamp with Mullards and my amp immediately scored some bad ass old school vibe. Even sticking a short plate old GE in my Valve Jr. turned it into a different amp. :AOK

6. Sol

Sol Member

I recently put a quad of Brimar 6v6gt in an SJB Ant 2x12 combo, and they really are everything people say, one of the best tones Ive ever had with this amp.

Having said that, if the Brimar's are a bit pricey, Ive been using Mazda 6v6gt's in the amp previously, and while they do cost quite a bit, they sound ,when overdriven even bigger than the Brimar's, and thats saying a lot.

I put my last three Mullard's in my Marshall 50watt Lead&Bass top last month, and when I took it off standby there was a pop... the middle Mullard going pop to be exact, really ruined my afternoon.

As Peter Green once said, 'Oh well'

7. pir8matt

pir8matt Member

NOOOOOOOO (hands over ears)

If there's a better (and more expensive) 6V6 out there besides the Brimar, I don't wanna know about it!

8. pir8matt

pir8matt Member

It's a great sounding amp no matter what, but it really shines with the Brimars. I'm a believer.

9. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

horrible horrible tubes...expensive as hell...move along...nothing to learn here :D

LaceSensor1 likes this.
  10. Gary F.

Gary F. Member

They will also last forever. I put a pair in my super champ , my living room amp, and I don't ever to expect to change tubes again.

Gary

11. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

Good old tubes can make a big difference (and in your amp did), but they don't necessariliy sound better than new tubes. It really depends on the circuit and on how a tube is being run. The differences are much more noticible when tubes are run in a way that they are not responding linearily to the varying amplitide of your guitar signal. That's one reason why distortion more often brings out differences in tubes. There's more, because different tubes have different capacitance and stuff, but that is a construction issue (like long or short plate), not an old vs new issue.

I like old tubes because they are often built better and last longer. For people who like getting amp sound best, I suggets collecting many tubes, old and new (over time...expensive hobby...), and keeping stash for swaps. When you find combinations that works for your amp/guitar, write them down on paper, tape it inside cab, and then look for more of these.

Before all my tube stash was stolen, I spent many fun hours doing this for my amps. I am slowly picking up more tubes so I can do this again (looking for a good set for my Duende; if any of you have suggestions of good combinations, let me know please).

DS

12. drweller

drweller Member

I had the Brimar 6V6s in a DRRI a few years back - was amazed how much better that amp felt/sounded w/the new tubes.

Great fit for that amp!

13. rockindog

rockindog Member

I flip flop between NOS GE 6V6s and Brimar 6V6s in my Victoria tweed deluxe. Both have something to offer. The GEs are a little brighter and have a tad less bottom than the Brimars. I find that the Brimars have sweet juicy mids and lows that fatten up my Stratocaster's tone somewhat. Plenty of highs there too. Just depends on what you are looking for.

I also have experimented with several NOS rectifiers and found that a Mazda 5Y3 or equivalent is the way to go. I had an RCA 5V4 in there which raised the B+ & 6V6 plate voltage too high for my taste (over 400). The amp lost something with that amount of voltage. It was less touch responsive and less sweet....kinda more hard and strident, but not bad.

With the NOS 5Y3, the B+ and 6V6 plate voltage settles down to about 380 which makes my Victoria tweed deluxe sound and play much better. As usual YMMV.

14. go7

go7 Member

I discovered Brimar 6V6 many years ago and stashed a few sets. I Also prefer them to the famed RCA Black plates and rockindog`s description is spot on. The reason Mullard never made a 6V6 ? Brimars. Enjoy!

15. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Didn't care for the Brimars in a Deluxe Reverb. In an A/B/C test with a pair of RCA 7408's and the new Tung Sol reissue,I found the Brimars to break up sooner,lack tight bass and have less note seperation than the other two.

16. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

I got a mixed quartet from Mike at KCA for my Tone King Meteor II. 2 Brimars on the "always on" pair, and 2 Marconis for the full power effect.

Sounds great, Mike's great to work with, excellent customer service. He shipped 'em so fast I swear I heard a knock at the door as I was hanging up the phone after placing the order (GRIN).

Dana O.

17. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Member

i have brimars in my 66 deluxe and i have to disagree.

huge, creamy, great low end, nice highs...very crisp an toneful.

you are actually the first person ive ever seen mention that they didnt like them.

the brimar 6v6 is an outstanding tube.

18. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Member

I have Brimars in my Gomez G-Reverb, my Victoria 5E3 head, and my Swart 6V6SE - wouldn't have it any other way.

19. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

If I were using the amp straight up, with no pedals, and using my guitar volume for OD I may have a slightly different opinion. I use one OD pedal and use my amps for a clean platform. The RCA 7408 sounds great for this in the DR as does the reissue TS. Most others I've tried fall a bit short. Different story in a cathode biased amp with lower plate voltage where I prefer Sylvania black plates.

20. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Member

well that certainly makes more sense to me. i tend to use my DR with just a cord and a guitar becuase it just sounds so damn good.

i never noticed it NOT sounding good w/ OD though.....