1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Bringing a guitar to UK. Need to pay custom charges?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by crosse79, Feb 14, 2008.

1. crosse79

crosse79 Member

I will be going to UK in a few week's time. I am planning to bring a new guitar into UK for a friend. Will there be any customs charges if I bring it on a plane?

2. DavidH

DavidH Member

I think,only if you declare it on your way out of Heathrow.Which would seem like a frightfully honest thing to do.It's just part of your luggage,no?

3. Rich T Fingers

Rich T Fingers Member

Not only customs charges but VAT (17.5%) also.

4. j04n

j04n Member

If its your guitar - and is not covered with swing tickets, sales receipts, plastic pick guard cover etc and you are bringing it to use on your visit, there should be no problems - its just luggage, as noted. If you subsequently decide to leave it in the UK is nobody's business but yours. Otherwise, if you are stopped in the green channel with something that looks like an import its very likely a surcharge will be levied, plus the import duty and VAT.

5. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

what they all sais,ive bought back lots of guitars as personal luggage and no problems,.if they ask just say u are jammin w/ ya mates no money involved and u aint selling the guitar.........

6. pennylink

pennylink Member

If it's for your "personal use" while in the UK there should be no import duty. As mentioned above, I wouldn't leave the tags, etc.on if it's a new guitar though.
    If you declare it you will have to pay import duty and VAT, somewhere in the region of 22% for an electric guitar.

7. crosse79

crosse79 Member

OK - looks like I won't be bringing the guitar in - since I don't want to lie to the customs officer if I am stopped. Thanks for the advices :)

8. Loobster

Loobster Member

Wow, you are very honest.

I've brought about 3 guitars back from holidays to the States, and always walked through nothing to declare. I've bought plenty of gear at rip-off Britain prices, so I think saving a couple hundred quid on a guitar ever now and again isn't that immoral.