bringing old pedal back to life

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Shiny_Beast, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Member

My research into a gig bag and battery friendly digital delay with the features I'm after hasn't panned out. I've had the guts of a rehoused old DM2/3 around for eons, I think I'm going to go ahead and try and wire it up.

This thing has been in a box for probably 20 years. I'm worried about the caps being all dried out. I would really like to give this the best shot out of the box to work, it did last time I ran it.

Is there something I should do like soak it in warm mineral water for a few hours? Anyone have any experience with something like this?

Thanks

2. OilsFan

OilsFan Supporting Member

Don't soak it in anything. Maybe clean it with compressed air and a gentle brush but that's about it. Hook it up right and give it a go. 9v (or 12 in an ACA pedal) is such low voltage that it doesn't matter. Not saying a cap couldn't go bad though but you could just replace it. A bad cap is a bad cap.

3. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Member

it's a done deal then?

4. manticorefx

manticorefx Member

Only the electrolytics would have gone bad, and the only cost a few cents a piece. There's no harm in trying to see if the thing even turns on, as long as you're using the correct polarity power supply.

5. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Member

ya, I hate the idea of going at that old board with a soldering iron, or even trying to track down a problem.

6. Don't Post

Don't Post Member

you could try piling up all the wires, jacks and pots up on the board and lighting it on fire, that will probably work pretty good.