Brit Floyd / Fractal Show Impressions

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by LeicaBossNJ, Apr 19, 2016.

1. LeicaBossNJ

LeicaBossNJ Silver Supporting Member

Yesterday I saw Brit Floyd in a packed theater in NJ. Great tribute band, awesome show.

As a gear geek, I immediately checked out the rigs and noticed no amps and the green glow of Axe FX behind the guitar/bass rigs. Sure enough, they projected a sign "all guitar and bass sounds made with Fractal Audio gear"

This was my first large scale, all modeling concert.

A few impressions:
    -They also ran a lot of stomps and other FX on top, but the core tones were definately modeling
    -The bass was really good. Standout good. Loads of gut punching rumble but also with clarity and note definition. Not the mushy mess a lot of live bass sounds had. A+
    -The guitar sounds absolutely had that "listening to the studio album" vs. "Listening to live guitar" polish to them
    -They played Strats but really you didnt get a ton of that traditional Strat sound poking through all the processing, which is fine but noticable. The clean sounds were crystal clear and almost piezo-like
    -The driven tones were modern sounding. Like a cross between Floyd and Muse. Very powerful and full range. You could hear the guitar even through miles of reverb, modulation and delay effects
    -I did notice that the solos became a bit piercing and ear fatiguing by the second set. All that clarity came at a price I think. Still, this can be said about any show with half hour of wall to wall high-up-the-neck soloing.

Overall great show and interesting to hear an all-modeling big time production.

http://www.britfloyd.com/news/190-brit-floyd-announces-partnership-with-fractal-audio

Phnurt, bloomz and mbenigni like this.
  2. metallica86

metallica86 Member

I see them almost every year when they pass by Toronto, great tribute band, they nail the sound pretty good, the Axe FX sound really really good especially for songs like "Sorrow" or Numb...

I went to see Joe Satriani and Dream theater last week, both used Axe FX now and IMO Satch tone is so smooth and juicy, he still use his JVM as core tone but all effect from the Axe. Same with Petrucci

bloomz and mbenigni like this.
  3. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

IME, Brit Floyd sounds pretty much the same as before they moved to Fractal.

4. Opzouten

Opzouten Member

Meshuggah has been using AxeFx for years and they have great live sound. I can't tell any difference.

5. Pat6969

Pat6969 Supporting Member

The JVM410HJS is the only amp head I regret selling. It was the best sounding and most versatile head I've had the pleasure of owning. It was a big, heavy beast though, if Marshall put out a smaller 30 watt version I'd be all over it.

goodkungfu and mbenigni like this.
  6. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

The former Brit Floyd guitarist posted his presets on the Axe Change site and many of them are fantastic.
    -
    Austin

bloomz likes this.
  7. mbenigni

mbenigni Member

Good observations all around, but it can be hard to tell how much of this (especially the ear fatigue) is down to the Fractal processing and how much is down to the sound reinforcement. There's a lot of DSP happening at points between a band and a house PA these days, heck even inside powered cabs themselves.

I saw Primus last year and immediately noticed the guitarist's AxeFX rig. Sounded absolutely killer IMO, and the only fatigue was from standing through the set. :)

I saw Satriani a couple of weeks ago in CT. Absolutely mind-blowing. The man is his guitar. He appeared to be using an old school Marshall half stack (JCM-800?) with a traditional pedalboard in front but looks can be deceiving. (I've been meaning to find out what exactly was on that pedalboard.) EDIT: Scratch that, I see you had answered both my questions before I even asked them.

LeicaBossNJ and Gearzilla like this.
  8. mikah912

mikah912 Member

The funny thing is that they never seem to use it on records. Not because it doesn't sound as good as amps, mind you. Rather because they go for even "lower end" solutions like Vettas, Pods, and - on their most recent album - Cubase Amp Rack.

9. Hoth

Hoth Silver Supporting Member

I love Brit Floyd. They really are something special in the cover band world and the crowds they draw and the ticket prices they command are a testament to that. I have extensively used an XL, Helix, Kemper and AF this past year. I like chasing my tail around and appearing cool on webboards, which is how I justify my life :). Once tweaked to my taste, they all pretty much sounded great and I am convinced that any differences come down to taste and workflow.

Phnurt, bloomz, jpage and 5 others like this.
  10. metallica86

metallica86 Member

I went for Meet & Greet with Joe and he signed my guitar,he's still my guitar hero of all time. I asked him if he ever asked Marshall about 20ish watt or smaller version of JVM Satch signature, the guy smiled and said :" you never know", I guess he can't talk much but maybe something behind the scene going on..

Back to OP post, I saw Bobby left Brit Floyd, but the new guy who replace him using Axe fx as well, Bobby is awesome player, he posted a lot of Pink Floyd lesson on Youtube and you can hear his sound and playing

mbenigni and LeicaBossNJ like this.
  11. LeicaBossNJ

I was surprised with the new guitarist. He was very good - but with a very modern flavor. At one point, he was doing a Van Halen-style tapping shred style solo.

bloomz likes this.
  12. LeicaBossNJ

I agree. One thing is certain, though. The tones were more clear and articulate than I've ever heard a mic'd amp in a live setting. Crazy Horse at Radio City was really the only other one I remember being like this (that was more about a lack of sound reinforcement).

The bass especially. I could actually hear it! It's not possible to say what the AXE FX did in particular, but the overall sound was very "high def"

mbenigni likes this.
  13. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

I haven't heard Brit Floyd since Edo replaced Bobby, but I did hear them when both Bobby and Damian were using AxeFXs and thought they sounded even better than their pre-AxeFX days.

metallica86 likes this.
  14. Elric

Elric Supporting Member

Yes, it was quite cool that FAS added a model of it when JS came on board. Never played the real amp but the model is quite nice.

15. Pat6969

Pat6969 Supporting Member

Ya, I'm not sold on those models yet. I tried them for a couple days trying to recreate what I had in the real amp with little success, then I got stuck on the CA Triptik model that I've been playing for a couple weeks. I might re-visit the HJS later and try again.

16. Unnecessary

Unnecessary Member

I got a kick out of the production video where they explained how the AFX was basically a A/D DI Box for Cubase Amps. Just proves that in a mix, with the right engineer, you really can record with a potato and get solid results.

mikah912 likes this.
  17. db9091

db9091 Member

When I've heard bands I know well (especially live) that have "ear fatigue" it often comes down to the mixing desk not properly fitting their sound to the room's reverb. You put a lot of reverb on a tone and then the room has it's own, that can cause problems if not addressed during sound check.

I saw Rush live at Nassau Col. and it was like their live albums. I saw them at the Dean Dome and it was like a bunch of shrieking kids in a hotel tiled pool room. I don't blame the band for that, I blame the mixing engineers.

Phnurt and mbenigni like this.
  18. metallica86

metallica86 Member

+1, I agree with this, I can hear more clear guitar tonefrom Damian and Bobby, their sound was one of the best show I've heard for LIVE

19. Brian Johnston

Brian Johnston Member

I still have the Peavey Mini Colossal... 5 watts, but is that thing friggin' loud for its size. I never use it, but decided it keep it for whatever reason.