British AlNiCo comparison

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by Damon, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Damon

Damon Member

Tell me what you think - which of these five speakers suits my amp (Pentone) and guitar (55 Junior) best? They are all 12" British AlNiCos...

speaker comparison

These files are not normalized, so there's a variation in volume due to the speakers' varying efficiencies... so feel free to ride your playback volume. I thought it would be better to show their comparative loudness.

For now I'll say that one of them is a Celestion Reissue Blue and another is an original Silver Celestion from 1963 with H1777 cone and bell-less magnet. If you can pick those out you really know your stuff!

...longer clips of each one:

speaker #1

speaker #2

speaker #3

speaker #4

speaker #5

thanks for all input :)

2. Normster

Normster Member

1 - meaty, I like it
    2 - thin, not to my taste
    3 - almost sounds like #1
    4 - my favorite, meaty with some nice top end bite
    5 - not as thin as #2, but still not to my liking

Of course, I'm listening through computer speakers at work so that may effect my choices. ;)

3. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

4 by a long shot...2,3 were sorta ok.
    1 I didn't care for, 5 I absolutely hated.

4. Damon

Damon Member

Thanks Normster!

One interesting thing I noticed is that #2 and #5 are both 16 Ohm speakers, the other three are 8 Ohms. My amp does have selectable output impedance, and I made sure it was set to the correct Ohmage setting for each speaker... perhaps the output transformer selectively passes fewer lows at that setting. Or, perhaps those two are just thin-sounding speakers!

Here's another speaker that is 4 Ohms, I didn't include it at first because it was so quiet (inefficient) that the room mic picked up more than the close mic, and it required normalization:

speaker #6

5. Damon

Damon Member

Thanks Ed...

I gotta go out for a bit, I'll post which is which later tonight.

Keep the observations comin!

6. ultrevex

ultrevex Member

Numbers 3 and 4 were neck and neck to my ears. I had ruled 4 out because something stuck out on one of the very first notes you attacked heavily but I think it's just digital clipping.

7. Damon

Damon Member

8. Antero

Antero Member

9. Damon

Damon Member

Yeah Celestion does still make a really great speaker (or at least they did in 2001). I got this Blue from PerryR, I don't know how may miles he put on it with his Z's but I gave it everything a 5 Watt amp could dish out for sustained periods, so I guess it's physically broken in if not chronologically.

I feel more comfortable slamming the Blue than the '63 Silver with the full output of my amp... even though the Silver was originally rated for 12 Watts. But the one that really gets p'd off and growly with the amp turned up is the Goodmans Audiom 70 (#3), that sucker is eighteen pounds with a cast frame and a huge magnet. For the heck of it I tried it with the gain all the way up, boost on, and tone on full: Audiom 70 dimed.

The Silver AlNiCo is great for low to medium gain single note lines, it's so vocal. Here's an example: 63 AlNiCo at about 10:30

To me in the room the Blue doesn't sound quite as Huge as the Audiom 70 at volume (but still fantastic), or quite as sweeet as the Silver for cleaner stuff (on chimey low-gain chords the Silver really shines... the Blue shines at this too but with a glint of glare).

Blue does everything really well, I can see why it got the nod. I'd love to try an original Greenback. Thanks for the replies!