british distortion

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Kezend, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Kezend

Kezend Member

i'm looking for a british distortion. i think it is british anyway. if you like incubus and have fungus amongus album, the trach Take Me To Your Leader has the tone im looking for. Its the chorus, "i forgot to remember", with the C/B etc D part. anyways. i was thinking of waiting for the Zvex Box of Rock, but im not sure thats gonna be as british as i think...cause thats based on old marshalls which were copies of fenders right?? ill ask zack anyway. any other suggestions?

2. daphil_1

daphil_1 Member

Hotcake sounds very "british" to me for what its worth :D

3. mild

mild Member

You're asking on a largely boutique board, so I'm going to give you a boutique answer.

The BJF EGDM is the best "Voxy" (and therefore, "British") distortion out there.

Its as simple as that.

4. Teahead

Teahead Member

BJF Emerald Green all the way. Nothing I've tried sounds more British than that pedal. There's a bit of a wait involved due to the huge popularity, but there's a good reason for that popularity and you're still likely to see it before the Box of Rock is available.

To give you an idea of how it sounds, I have a few Emerald Green clips in the 'pedal clips' part of my sig below. You're more than welcome to check then out. Best of luck...

Tea.

5. BoyMambo

BoyMambo Member

The best Marshall sound that I have heard comes from the MI Audio Crunch Box. I absolutely love this little red beastie!

6. jgyn

jgyn Member

Crowther Hotcake.

7. Kezend

Kezend Member

cheers for that, they were very helpful! the high gain setting might be what i'm looking for! i didnt quite like the crunchbox as much when i heard it, but i heard it has changed so im gonna check it out again.

ok so i checked out the crunchbox, i feel the BJF has the sound im after. is Musictoys the only place to get these BJF beauties? i dont mind waiting, i'm in no rush, but how do go about ordering them?

8. sgguitarzz

sgguitarzz Supporting Member

When paired with the right amp the Tonebone Hot British can do the British distortion thing very well. I think it works best with a cleaner sounding amp then one with a hotter front end. For example, it worked better with my Ampeg Reverberocket R212 which has an amazing clean channel then with my Sunn T50C.

9. Teahead

Teahead Member

More than welcome. You can also order through www.tonefactor.com and from Dean at snake oil strings, his email is leomuser@aol.com None are likely to be any quicker than anyone else, since all the pedals come from Bjorn. I've had great service from both of these guys.

Good luck...
    Tea.:BEER

10. longgonedaddy

longgonedaddy Member

Give the Toadworks John Bull a spin while you're at it.

11. ahltarocka

ahltarocka Supporting Member

The Menatone King Of the Britains, I like the older 5 knob version. In addition, a friend of mind just got the Indyguitarist Plexi-Drive. It does a great Marshall JCM and Vox 30 vibe. I may buy one.
    www.indyguitarist.com

Rockon:JAM
    Remember The 60's

12. mild

mild Member

Forgot to +1 to our other national product, the Hotcake. This is perfect with EL84 amps (which I sincerely hope you are using, if you indeed want that awesome "British" sound) as a light to medium-mild breakup for your amp. It gives it a sweetness that you miss very quickly if you don't have one.

Whilst I'd hesitate to call it "British", I would quickly add that no "British amp" style user should be without one. It is that good, and a steal of a price. Enjoy...

13. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

ahltarocka, I'm intrigued by the new IG pedal. Lately I've been gassing for a V-Stack BHM for that voxy sound, but I also love a marshall. If the plexidrive can do both, that's a dream come true!

14. Tprince

Tprince Member

+ 1 BJF Emerald Green.
    SCOD
    Tonebone Hot British
    Marshall Guv'nor