British high gain distortion for SS amp

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rotlung, Mar 11, 2015.

1. rotlung

rotlung Member

I have a little solid state practice amp that I use for general bedroom noodling. It has a decent clean channel that I would like to hit with a distortion pedal to get a high gain British flavored sound. I like things to be a little on the thick midrange, maybe a little wooly side, but I'm mostly concerned with finding something affordable and inspiring to play ie "amp-like". I would like to spend around 100 or less used. I don't really know how a solid state amp reacts to distortions really, I only have overrdrives that don't really get a big sound.

Would a rat or OCD be good enough or should I look at something else?

2. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

Try an EHX English Muff'n. It's got that British sound and the tubes will make your ss amp feel more like a tube amp.

3. Holzar88

Holzar88 Silver Supporting Member

Montreaux Knebworth II (https://www.axeandyoushallreceive.com/product/montreux-knebworth-ii) is designed to do exactly what you're looking for.

Marketing copy:

"The Montreux Knebworth II (Knebworth 2) pedal was designed to go forth from where it's big brother the Knebworth leaves off. A further extension of the ultimate Marshall style distortion box. We think they pretty much nailed it. It pulls off very convincing Plexi and JCM800 style sounds right up thru to modern style TSL and DSL sounds thru' pretty much any style amp even Solid state. The wide range of EQ capability lets to tweak almost any size or style of amp to generate great marshall sounds."

Edit: Bit on the pricey side though.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  4. rotlung

rotlung Member

It's a little out of my price range. I don't mind spending a good amount for gear I gig with, but this will mostly be for home use.

5. chromeskull

chromeskull Member

My rat pedal with the gain low does a good job into most clean solidstate amps ive used with it. How about the boss power stack I think its a british amp emulator and somewhat inexpensive?

6. whackystrings

whackystrings Member

Starved-plate tube/marketing gimmick or not, the Radial tube distortion pedals (i.e. the 'British' in this case) should work well. They've been around for a while now so should be reasonable on the used market.

7. thecornman

thecornman Member

Caline English Man Distortion! About 40 new. Will make your little ss amp sound like a big British amp.

8. jordane93

jordane93 Member