British speaker in a Fender Amp - sacreligious or no big deal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by johnsfore, Feb 16, 2008.

1. johnsfore

johnsfore Member

Hi. I'm thinking seriously about putting either a Weber Blue Dog or a Scumnico alnico speaker in my Fender Princeton Reverb 11 but a buddy of mine says that this is 'verbotten' as it would involve putting a British-voiced speaker in an American amp and that it won't sound good. Any opinions on this? It sounds a bit silly to me as I have seen many Fender amps with Celestion Vintage 30s in them. Would I be better off going with a Jensen P12N-type speaker, even though they are now made it China (I am told)? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. padavis

padavis Supporting Member

I think that is fine dude. I had a Weber Silver Bell in a Randall RM50B with the Blackface module and man that was some sweet tone. I am going to put some flavor of Weber into my Blues Jr. I am thinknig Blue Dog... so I'll join the American Amps with British Speakers club.

3. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Fender amps often sound GREAT with Celestion and similar speakers, IMO.

4. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

I dug CL 80s in a silverface twin. Speakers have a huge shaping effect on your overall tone. No experience with a PR 11, but if you like the classic fender sound, you're not going to get it without a classic fender-style speaker. If you like those speakers in other amps, you're going to get a lot of similarities when you put em in your amp.

zeppfan1 likes this.
  5. SLG

SLG Member

I gigged with a Fender Princeton Reverb II for years. I used either an EVM 12L or a Celestion G12H30. Both speakers sounded great in the amp. I preferred the EV for the added efficiency and clean sounds, but the Celestion sounded better overdriven. I'm playing a Bruno Cowtipper 22 now. It's loaded with a pair of Scumback H75 (g12H30) speakers. The amp sounds outstanding. My recommendation would be to shy away from both the Celestion Alnico Blue and the Greenback in your open back combo. You run the risk of blowing the Blue. The Greenbacks just sound better in closed back cabinets. The Celestion G12-100 and the G12-65 would also be good choices for your amp.

6. bosstone

bosstone Member

Most amps sound better with British style speakers to me.

7. dougk

dougk Silver Supporting Member

+1. I run Celestion C90's in damn near everything I play (Bassmans and Allens).

Unless your living out of your car you dont have to get rid of the speaker you have now, just store it some where.

8. dorianadams

dorianadams Member

Just tried out a Celestion Lead 80 in my newly acquired Fender Concert. Sounds great . Way better than the blown 10's that came in it.:BITCH Also way better sounding to me than the amp with an EV or Fender 12 or the stock 2-10s( gigged one for 15 years). The Lead 80 is actually a really great speaker and perfect for a 50 or 60 watt 1X12 amp..

9. Shawn S.

Shawn S. Member

Julien Kasper and Wayne Krantz use Celestions in their DR's. Not huge names, but they've got tone...

10. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too.

Biggest tone improvement I ever made to my Sewell Texaverb (Vibroverb inspired) was sticking one of those Warehouse Guitar Speakers CL80 clones in it. I can't imagine ever going back to a non-British speaker in that amp.

It also sounds awesome through my Fargen's 2x12 cabinet, which has two greenbacks in it.

BAN

11. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

Putting a G12H30 in a Deluxe Reverb is one of the most popular selections out there. I say go for it!

12. P90Nut

P90Nut Member

I put a Celestion Greenback in my Blues Junior & it made a huge improvement in the sound.

Good luck,

Mark

13. Mooki

Mooki Gold Supporting Member

I put a Vintage 30 in my Blues Deluxe. It sounds like someone pulled a blanket off of the amp. It really came alive!!

Rock On!:BEER

14. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I use a Greenback in my 62 Deluxe and love it!

I say go for it!

15. PFCG

PFCG Member

Julien told me in class one day that he mainly uses an old AC-30 and a Plexi for big gigs. Ill have to ask him next week about the celestions in the DR. Monster player and a great teacher, i love that class! (Jeff Beck Lab)

16. PSaulino

PSaulino Silver Supporting Member

Have had one of these for along time now - my all time favorite small gigger/band practice amp.

A CL80 is nice in that amp as would be a 1265, or even better a Scumback M75.

But for the BEST (IMO) sound outta that amp, it's a US sounding speaker, and after testing litteraly dozens of speakers, I like the Eminence Legend 121 the best.

Paul

17. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

A 30 watt Scumback or equivalent will do ya.YMMV.

18. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

I'm a bit late to this thread, but I have just received a number of clips from Anthony Steele. Anthony does soundfiles for WCR Pickups, Reinhardt Amps, and now Scumback Speakers as well.

Anthony sent me several clips of an M75 speaker with his Fender Deluxe Reverb. You can find Les Paul, and Telecaster clips here: http://southbayampworks.com/m75as/

The clips with deluxe in the name are the ones to listen to. They're short, 30-45 seconds. If you want some different tones and styles presented, he's got a few in there, so you might find the tone you're looking for. Can't hurt to give it a listen.

19. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

I've got a Sewell Texaverb 25 which is basically a Deluxe Reverb on steriods loaded with a 70th Anniversary Celestion G12H30. I hadn't used it in a while since it's not my go to amp for various reasons,but I did an opening act last night and it kicked but. I was able to dial in a nice balanced punchy clean tone and then added OD's on top and I got some very sweet tones. These speakers really hold up VERY well when pushed and wont fart out or sound flabby on the bass tones.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]