British voiced speaker with strong low end? Scumback HP55?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rockon1, Jan 23, 2008.

1. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Only thing I dislike about my Supersonic is its weak low end on the OD channel. Short of a modification(the amp has plenty of low end on the clean channel) Im wondering if a I might find a speaker with a strong low end ,smooth mids and highs. Ive heard that the Scumback H55's have a strong low end and are similar to a vintage g12h-30. Thoughts? Thanks Bob

2. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

3. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Thanks GuitarsFromMars........Anybody else ?

4. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Aside from the H75, H75-LDC, H55's, V30's and G12H30's.....

I would say look into the Classic Lead 80's. And some of the Eminence, esp. Canabis Rex, Man-o-War, Tonker??

5. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

in my time that ive been playing (25yr) ive found its the amplifier that needs to be tight......ive got greenbacks right now that many complain about flubbing but through my tight amp they are amazing....just for thought

6. Roe

Roe Member

h55
    c1230-55
    ceramic silber bell

7. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I have read the bass cone Scumbacks have a lot of bass.(H55) My V30's,G12H-30's and Tonker didnt quite do it. Surprizingly my Tonespotters have quite a bit but with the smaller magnet its a little loose. Hopefully somebody who's tried the H55 might chime in. thanks Bob

8. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Thanks didnt realise Weber makes a 55 model too. Hmmm...

9. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

Classic Lead 80.
    I just replaced the G12M-70 with a Classic Lead 80 in my JCM800 Combo.
    Lots more bottom and overall smoother tone. No more ice pick highs.
    Fantastic speaker.

10. steelvalley

steelvalley Member

I recently had a new cab built for my Straub Cantus - a 50W plexi-like amp. My Marshall 1960AC (greenbacks) was a little too flubby in the bass. Got a 4-12B with 2 H75s and 2 H55s from Scumback. The amp has much to do with the bass tightness and strength, but the new cab noticably tightened the bass, as well as accentuating it pretty heavily - to the point where I'll often dial the bass down to 2-3. Didn't catch if you're looking at 1, 2 or 4 speaker cab. If a 2 or 4, I'd go with a 50-50 mix with H or M 75s. The mix does exactly what I wanted - helped by StoneAge Cabs - very tight and very powerful - excellent classic/hard rock vintage Marshall/Celestion tone. Alone, the 55s might be too much. In a single 1-12, I'd probably look to the Celestion Heritage 30.

11. Rumblefish

Rumblefish Silver Supporting Member

Scumback H55's are awesome especially if you play single coil pickups.Agree with the other guy your cab and number of speakers has a lot to do with the sound.The x pattern of 55's and 75's is very cool and allows using single coils or hummers.Don't even think of any other brand of speaker.Scumbacks rule.
    I am the final authority here.Just take my word for it.I am the ultimate resident expert.

12. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

I have a 2x12 with H75 and H55. I don't think it has pronounced bass, it's pretty even I think. I also have 1x12 cab with a g12h30 by Celestion. That cab has more pronounced bass than the 2x12 with Scums. So I'd say if big bass is what you want go with the g12h. Just my .02

13. Ginglymus

Ginglymus Member

I tried the H55 and H75 LDC in a single 12" combo (modded BFPR). The H55 was a bit bass heavy with humbuckers . I had to cut the bass pot all the way down. (It's sounding great in a Burt 1x12 front-ported closed back though.) The H75 LDC sounds extremely well-balanced in the PR, especially for smooth OD tones. Lately I've been using the Princeton Reverb for clean so I thought I'd try it with a 65 watt Scumnico and I'm loving that too!

14. fretless

fretless Supporting Member

Eminence GB-12 hands down. It's a Greenback clone, but with a tighter bass. Very rich and open. Overall a warmer toned speaker. Overdrives very sweetly and clean tones have shimmer without any spikiness. Midrange is present, but it's super smooth. A heck of alot cheaper than any Celestion with zero loss in quality. Made in the USA as well.

I think the stock speaker in your amp has too much high mid peak, which makes the clean channel a little harsh.

15. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Interesting. I figured the H55 with its "bass cone" would have more bass than a G12H-30. I tried 2 -G12H-30's and the bass was decent but not that strong-(besides two G12H-30's was a tad too smooth sounding for my liking.)Bob

Rumblefish- I may try one just because I need to know how they sound. Bob

16. mignano

mignano Member

Another vote for Lead 80's here.... just a suggestion: my favorite speakers are a pair of vintage Lead 80's. See if you can pick up some old used ones in good condition on eBay - they will be broken in nicely.

I also recommend the Heritage G1265 reissues.

Both have that soft Greenback midrange, but with more headroom and cleaner bass.

17. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I have a couple G12-65's. havent warmed up to them yet alone-too midrangy.One on may favorite combinations though is a G12H-30 and G12-65. They work well together. Unfortunately not a good match for my tastes and the SS. Im really looking for something with extended bass. I probably should have investigated a ported cab. Bob

18. jamison162

jamison162 Member

It's the amp man. It's always been week in low-end and punch to me. I've always said that. Otherwise, I quite like it. Upgrade the PT and OT to MM's.

19. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I dont think the trannies have anything to do with it. Its capable of producing prodigious amounts of low end on the clean channel. I willing to bet a simple mod to the voicing of the OD channel would work wonders however I wouldnt want to affect anything else since I really dig the rest of the voicing. My latest combo of V30 and Tonespotter is pretty surprizingly pretty good on the low end and sounds to my surprize pretty good. Bob

20. ebenezer

ebenezer Supporting Member

Try a Tone Tubby Ceramic. A very even speaker and voiced like a greenback. I get get thundering lows from mine.