"British" vs. "American" Speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by pete12string, Apr 6, 2015.

1. pete12string

pete12string Supporting Member

I hear people describe speakers as having a British sound or an American sound. I have a Celestion G12H30 and a Greenback, both described as "British" sounding speakers. I bought a Fargen Townhouse 5w that has a Fender kind of sound and was thinking of an "American" voiced speaker - even though I don't know what I'm talking about. :dunno

How would you describe the differences in terms of tone?

2. abnerfm

abnerfm Member

3. FFTT

FFTT Member

Weber 12F150 or 12A125A low efficiency AlNiCo either would be close to OEM Fender Voiced. Gries Amps is now using the Eminence Screaming Eagle 12" in his 5 watter.

4. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Usually in Brit mids are more forward, American mids are usually scooped a bit or sometimes a lot.

If you look at a TT 40/40 10" here vs a Jensen c10r, TT shows kind of response curve most Brit flavor speakers have, c10r showing that mids scooped American response. That's it basically in a nutshell but you can get all kinds of minute variances in a speakers response curve. Like say a Alltone/Reverend, it's kind of like a greenback and Jensen had baby, it fits right in between.

[​IMG]

5. wyatt

wyatt Member

6. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

Took the words out of my mouth!

Just some FYI: Sometimes, British voiced speakers sound AMAZING in American voiced amps. An Alnico Blue in a Fender Deluxe is a thing of beauty.

7. Bossanova

Bossanova Member

i was just going to say that! my guess is the british speakers compensate a little for the lack of mids in the fender amps..? either way, i've been running a vibrolux reverb out of 2xgreenbacks and wow!!

8. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

Let's not forget the Italians (Jensen)!

9. Rumble5

Rumble5 Member

I run a pair of Greenback-style Weber Legacies in my Pro Reverb, and think they're an awesome match. They provide a little mid range thickness that it naturally lacked before and tame some of the overwhelming bass response.

10. Nikola

Nikola Member

How about the other way round?

As in placing an American voiced speaker into a British amp like a Marshall?

11. Joe L

Joe L Supporting Member

I believe that the the amp circuit basically defines if tone is mid scooped ( ie Fender Blackface) or with more pronounced mids ( Vox). The speaker may compliment and color the tone ( loud, chime etc.) , but doesn't dramatically changed mid scoop sound or not.
    I recently, changed the speaker in my PRRI from the stock C10R to a Celestion Gold 10. I found that the amp was a bit louder sounding fuller/warmer and more harmonic with the Gold. The base was tightened and the highs were smoother. As for the mids, I found only a sight increase, which accounts for the fuller tone, but not dramatically mid pronounced. It still sounds like a Fender, with chime and sparkle, with a mid scooped black face tone. The Celestion, did not change the amp to sound like a Vox. Basically, I find speakers color tone which has been the case with every speaker change I have made on my amps. The trick is to find the speaker that matches up with your amp as each different speaker does not sound exactly the same in different amps due to the circuitry. That's what my ears hear.

12. FFTT

FFTT Member

Fanes play very well with Fender, Ampeg, Supro, almost anything.

IMHO, far better speakers than the best ever Jensens.

Tighter, crisper, more detailed, especially when you push them.

13. wyatt

wyatt Member

The original Jensen, JBL, etc. speakers really excel at cleans. They have a definition, articulation, and tight top end that really help clean tones pop more than the Celestion-based speakers. It's part of that Fender spank and shimmer.

The problem is, these same elements can make a speaker too aggressive hen overdriven, which can sound harsh. This isn't always undesirable, it's part of the lo-fi feel of old Tweeds and department store amps. But the Celestion-based speakers all smooth out better when overdriven, making them more versatile and musical in "hard rock and above" levels of crunch.

14. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Another difference is that most Brit speakers were used in closed back cabs. Makes a huge difference in sound. More bottom and compressed in the closed back. A Greenback in a BFDR sounds very Fender clean sparkly etc. until driven very hard into compression.