Bro country has become an unwitting parody of itself

Ryno1331

Silver Supporting Member
You take some low intelligence then add a pinch of testosterone and then let simmer in a lack of education and just a pinch of racism. You got a bro country stew going!
This may be the most ridiculous and bigoted post I've read in a while.

People here are guitar players who represent a small group who generally listen to more complex music than 90% of the population. I've come to learn over the years that people don't listen to music like I do and that's ok. Most people want a catchy hook or lyrics they can relate to. I grew up in a rural area and this song hits home to me. I'm also highly educated (likely more than yourself unless you have a doctorate in a medical field and a Master's) and anything but racist.

I don't like modern country like a lot of people here but the content often evokes memories and strong feelings of nostalgia. A lot of the reason people here are still listening to the same stuff from the 60's-90's.

Nickstrtcstr

Lactose Intolerant Guitar Slinger
So... You still haven't read the whole exchange, Buttercup?

Mic drop. Mic is broken. I keep dropping it on you
Virtue signal.jpg

Silent Sound

There's good country out there. Somewhere. Just like every other genre, it's not on the radio. Popular music is popular because the average listener just wants to hear their own thoughts and feelings reflected back to them. Good music is good because it opens people up to new ideas. The average person doesn't like new ideas. They don't like introspection. They just want to be told they were right all along. And that's what bro country is all about. It's telling the listener, you're just fine the way you are. It's the world that needs to change to accommodate you and your values. Few people would pay money to be told that they're wrong. But that's what great artists tell us.

Reminds me of an old joke....

What happens when you play a country record backwards? Your truck starts, your girlfriend comes back to you, you get your job back, and your dog comes back to life.

Chicago Slim

Most of the Bro Country music comes from Big Machine Records, in Nashville. They tend to use their own (same) salaried writers in order to retain the bulk of the profits. There is still a larger portion of country music that bares no similarity. It was more widely known as Americana. Some country music people still operate on a handshake and their word.

TreeHugsBam

Aw, you went and found a meme to bolster your non argument. Aren't you adorably desperate.

Princess, I'm the one doling out the homework. Go find the post where I say he's referring to rap. Just to prove you're doing the reading assignments.

Then go find his response, Sally. He responds but doesn't deny.

Then be a darling and find the post where I accuse him of talking about "those people."

He responds but doesn't deny. He defends himself by saying mean people make him sad.

Then go find the post where I call him an easily triggered snow flake and look in the reaction where he ends the exchange with a haha.

He's done. And you're done. Mic drop.

TheBuffalo

Silver Supporting Member
Aw, you went and found a meme to bolster your non argument. Aren't you adorably desperate.

Princess, I'm the one doling out the homework. Go find the post where I say he's referring to rap. Just to prove you're doing the reading assignments.

Then be a darling and find the post where I accuse him of talking about "those people."

He responds but doesn't deny. He defends himself by saying mean people make him sad.

Then go find the post where I call him an easily triggered snow flake and look in the reaction where he ends the exchange with a haha.

Nothing youre saying has any substance. Youre just trash talking people and then saying mic drop.

Why bother posting if you dont have anything to add?

The other poster made good points.

No one brought up Rap. But since it has been brought up...

That its perfectly socially acceptable to trash country music and its fans. But other genres are off limits. ESPECIALLY RAP/Hip Hop. Which is weird when people are saying that country music is immoral and representative of some sort of deep problem in the south or whatever.

(i like alot of rap music btw)

I dont think youve even attempted to respond to any of these points.

whatizitman

The elitist has spoken, all bow down to the superior human who has evolved to decree what's best for all. Let's talk after you actually meet someone wearing a cowboy hat not part of a stage costume.

Many love this music and totally identify with it. I got two guys installing 1500 sq. feet of flooring in my home right now who have it crankin' out of my Alexa. And they are doing a fantastic job, I may add.
And they pulled up in a totally bitchin' silverado SS LOL!

Aaaaand there it is. Was waiting for it.

Having myself lived in both rural and urban regions, with deep roots in both, going back generations, I'm neither elitist nor unobserving. But it is my opinion (and I own that) that modern country in particular panders not just to a demographic (all pop does), but it panders to the very notion of culture war in a time backwards move, propagating and glorifying things that were reality only in fictional narratives. Very, very narrow fictional narratives, I might add. A culture war, because it's actually built in to the narrative that to question or criticize the caricatures means the same as oppressing them.

You wanna talk about tiresome? Go right ahead.

Traditional cowboy hats? Nobody wears them when working with horses or cattle. There are far better options. A simple trucker/ball cap works fine in all but torrential rain. Same with boots. There are church and dance hall boots. And there are actual working and horse riding boots. And neither of them need any type of religious, political, working class hero/punisher insignia on them to do their intended purposes.

And who outside of large farm/ranch owners or union coal or gas workers can actually afford a huge truck, much less decked out with lift, expensive tires and wheels, headers/mods, and other hunting "necessities?" Seriously. I'm not joking when I ask that. That doesn't scream manly or self-sufficient to me. It screams poor financial decision making.

All hat and no cattle didn't become a phrase for nothin'.

whatizitman

People can run from this all they want to, but it's the Godzilla in the room that is driving this and a whole lot of other stuff that can't be talked about (and should not be talked about) in this particular venue. Because IMO a significant chunk of the people represented do not want their lives to be any different, they're quite happy and content.

Humans that are happy and content don't need to constantly be reminded how great their lives must be. Funny how modern country seems to have a fairly narrow range of lyrical content. Clearly not the first pop style to do so. But the OP was about modern country. So we'll stick with that for the time being.

Just sayin'.

PRW

Humans that are happy and content don't need to constantly be reminded how great their lives must be. Funny how modern country seems to have a fairly narrow range of lyrical content. Clearly not the first pop style to do so. But the OP was about modern country. So we'll stick with that for the time being.

Just sayin'.

I don't disagree but I think you underestimate the desire for validation.

On edit, I think the desire for validation drives 99.9999 percent of the arguments/contrariness on this forum about ANY subjects.

Nickstrtcstr

You are hilarious. Your reading something into someone's comments =/= him saying it. That is totally on you.

Your complete lack of self awareness is astounding.

Your condescension is duly noted and completely unwarranted given your weak AF arguments.

You are what you accuse others of being. You hide behind the virtue signaling to try to cover it up.
Virtue signal.jpg

Last edited:

Nickstrtcstr

Nothing youre saying has any substance. Youre just trash talking people and then saying mic drop.

Why bother posting if you dont have anything to add?

The other poster made good points.

No one brought up Rap. But since it has been brought up...

That its perfectly socially acceptable to trash country music and its fans. But other genres are off limits. ESPECIALLY RAP/Hip Hop. Which is weird when people are saying that country music is immoral and representative of some sort of deep problem in the south or whatever.

(i like alot of rap music btw)

I dont think youve even attempted to respond to any of these points.

He believes that reading something into the exchange is the same thing as actually reading it.

No insult intended here but, that is a sign of mental illness.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom