Broadcaster Bridge Pickup

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by fenderbender4, Aug 17, 2008.

1. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

I was wondering how a broadcaster bridge pickup differs from a more standard Tele bridge? Specifically in the sound department. Thanks.

2. playon

playon Supporting Member

No difference really... the old Fender pickups were all over the map as far as number of winds, resistance, etc. People seem to agree that the earlier pickups were a little hotter but in reality they varied. Some were so bright they'd take your head off, others were mellower, etc. The geeks will tell you that there were some slightly different specs between Broadcaster and early Telecaster pickups, & while that may be true, in my experience they are all individually different as far as the sound due to them being hand wound. Better just to decide what kind of sound you want and have someone like Don Mare make you a pickup that fits your needs.

3. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

Check out Don Mares website and look at the specs for his 0038.

4. EdMan57

EdMan57 Member

I have heard from a couple of Tele guys that the Broadcaster sound had a bit more output and midrange cut than the brighter and somewhat thinner sounding bridge pickups found on most 50's Teles.

Ed

5. mooawk

mooawk Member

I had both Seymour Duncan Vintage Broadcaster and Vintage '54 pickups and the Broadcaster was significantly warmer sounding than the '54. The '54 was brighter and had more bite to it.