Broke 2 strings at 2 different gigs this weekend.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by gtrdave, Jan 1, 2018.

1. gtrdave

gtrdave Member

I had a gig this past Friday night w/ the whole band. It was a great gig, but at the start of set 2 I broke a string on the PRS. I made it through the song and then grabbed the Godin A6 Ultra to play the next song, following that up with having my wife sing Janis Joplin's "Mercedes Benz" while I quick-changed the one string.
    I then changed the rest of the set on Saturday.

Then, last night I had an acoustic duet gig and near the end of our first set I broke a string on the Godin A6 Ultra.
    Touche'.
    Thankfully, a buddy of mine changed it for me while I played a backup acoustic.
    Today, I changed the strings on the Godin.

Never before have I broken 2 strings on 2 gigs in a weekend. Of course, I used to change my strings a lot more frequently, but I was also gigging more back then.
    Also, maybe it's time to rethink my use of the D'Addario 10.5 gauge set since that's what I was using on both guitars and neither set has too many hours on them.

lp_bruce likes this.
  2. acwild

acwild Member

Sorry to hear that. It's my biggest fear and I currently don't have a backup guitar.

3. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

I had to change brands and have had no problems. I changed out the string lock blocks to titanium on all of my Floyd Rose guitars. For whatever reason, I started breaking newly changed strings. I am careful not to overtighten anything and have been doing this for more than 35+ years.

I switched to the new Ernie Ball Paradigms and haven’t broken one yet. I actually really like these strings!

The good thing is that like anyone who performs live, you had a backup ready because you never know when the luck is going to strike!

4. gtrdave

gtrdave Member

It's probably not an issue if you change strings on a regular basis. I hadn't broken one playing live for many years and I was gigging up to 6 nights a week, 4 hours per night, but I changed strings every 3 days.
    Went through a LOT of strings...

I've had good experiences w/ Ernie Ball and D'Addario in the past, but these new sets of EXL110+ (10.5 to 48) are not lasting as long as I have expected. I have about 4 sets left and will not be buying them again, probably reducing down to regular 10s. An added bonus is that it can only help to eliminate the beginning tendonitis pains I've been experiencing in my fretting arm.

PBGas likes this.
  5. acwild

acwild Member

I use the Paradigms too. Got them on my electrics and acoustic. They've been great for months so far!
    The only time that I seem to break strings is shortly after I change them. If they're gonna break on me, that's when they do it. That's why I don't change them days before a gig. Now, I switched from playing my solid body guitars into an acoustic duo, so I working without a backup which is terrifying. I usually have backups for everything.

6. mattball826

mattball826 Member

I change strings every show or two. Less risk to breakage. More swaps in summer shows. Sweat creeps down, rusts the string at the bridge saddle and then soon at the next show.... toooooooooiiink !

gtrdave and jimijimmyjeffy like this.
  7. slayerbear17

slayerbear17 Member

Dean Markley user here. I had two gigs where I broke a string first song. I got lazy and just cycled thru guitars forgetting when I changed strings.

Took me less than a minute to swap out guitars and continue playing.

2018 is the year of changing out strings bi weekly. I couldnt imagine not having a back up guitar.

8. doghouseman

doghouseman Member

I broke 5 strings in one gig. What's your point?

9. Triton76

Triton76 Member

Never broken a string at a gig or practice never brought a backup. Did I just jinx myself? Nah

10. gtrdave

gtrdave Member

Did you use a chainsaw as a pick?