Broke two Fender tremolo arms consecutively - suggestions?

Free

Hi, all. Any suggestions or similar experiences with stock Fender tremolo arms breaking. It breaks at the threads - right in the middle, leaving half the threaded section in the block... Thanks!

Free

check Callaham site
there s a good explanation of why trem arm brakes.
Their trem assembly rock

Thanks, Vintage. That sure looks like the way to go http://www.callahamguitars.com/ - site really explained my problem: I couldn't stand the loose play on stock Fender tremolos unless highly tightened, but I know that contributed to stressing the threads and ultimately breaking from moderate play (no overly hard use AT ALL). I'm going with a Callaham block and arm. Fender tremolo arms and the system for interlocking with the block is complete garbage.

you may want to loosen the springs a bit to ease the tension of the bridge. I would make the job for the trem arm much easier.

Not only is it a much better trem arm, but with that block and those saddles, I'd be surprised if you didn't hear a significant improvement with a Callaham assembly. Fantastic stuff.

wildschwein

Try a little thread tape around the thread. This is the same stuff that is is used on threaded brass fittings etc. It stops it rocking so much in the block thread mount and may help a little. I like my arm unwound one turn so it dangles down and this worked pretty well for me though the thread tape stops it being totally loose.

Either that or look up Ritchie Blackmore on the net and try and find some pictures of his custom trem arms he had made for his strats - they're about 3 times thicker than a standard Fender trem arm. Maybe a custom design is in order.

wingwalker

Fuzzy Guitars
After breaking arms off in several blocks over the years I switched to a Callaham tremolo about 6 or so months ago and I have to say it was the single best things I've ever done for a Strat! It stays in tune better than a stock tremolo (and just FWIW I wasn't using junk tremolos I had been using the 57/62 reissue for a while) it's smoother feeling, soundes better and so far I haven't broken the arm (and I have tried!) and the other thing that I love is that it's still tight feeling wiht no slop/play in the bar for doing little shakes...feels brand new and my Fenders blocks/arms felt worn out after a gig or maybe 2...

Go callaham and don't look back!

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
The quick and cheap fix-
Wrap teflon tape around the shaft near the entry of the arm hole to enlarge and stabilize the arm. Fiddle with it for a good fit. You may have to replace the tape periodically.

DrumBob

If you broke two of them, you're doing something wrong. Strat whammies aren't made for extreme dive bombing. :Spank

zenfreud

Silver Supporting Member
Try a little thread tape around the thread. This is the same stuff that is is used on threaded brass fittings etc. It stops it rocking so much in the block thread mount and may help a little. I like my arm unwound one turn so it dangles down and this worked pretty well for me though the thread tape stops it being totally loose.

I've always wondered if players with great trem arm technique can get their results using trem arms that have some slop in them. Any slop bugs me enough that I just end up not using the trem arm. I'll have to try some of this thread tape. Can anybody comment on whether the pop-in trems (rather than the screw-in) trem bars have less wiggle & slop?

If you broke two of them, you're doing something wrong. Strat whammies aren't made for extreme dive bombing. :Spank

I agree, these things really weren't meant for dive-bombing, think of the era that Leo designed them in. I can't imagine breaking two of them!

billstets

I agree, these things really weren't meant for dive-bombing, think of the era that Leo designed them in. I can't imagine breaking two of them!

Guys like Blackmore and Hendix used to yank it all over the place. I wonder how many they broke.

I've broken a few in my time, and just recently broke the arm on my EJ strat. So I went for the Callaham block, and hopefully that will last longer. I yank them and dive bomb them all over.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom