Broken connection tab on speaker. Fixable?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by kingdavidy2k, Mar 19, 2015.

1. kingdavidy2k

kingdavidy2k Member

I have a really cheap offer of a Weber 12F150 with broken tab here in Australia (can't really find webers here).
    Is this easy fix or not with it at all?
    [​IMG]

2. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

replacing the old terminal strip is pretty easy....just drill out the old one [do not drill through the cone!] and pop rivet in a new one. Resolder the tinsel & you're done.

3. J M Fahey

J M Fahey Member

Agree and add: 98% possibilities the rivet/eyelet you have now is iron , when you drill it out iron filings will fly all over the place, and jump straight towards the voice coil gap, where magnetic field is strongest.

I suggest:

1) unsolder both tinsel ends from terminal strip, both the one still attached and the "floating"one so you can bend them away.

2) loosely wrap 3 or 4 turns of 2" wide packing tape around the broken terminal, so when you drill from outside and at low speed, filings stay inside the "pocket" you just formed and stick to the inner sticky surface.

Be careful when you slide it out, so none remains or worse, jumps inside.
    Some will remain attached to the stub (everything's magnetized there), pull them out with sticky tape.

3) you will not have any problem with the new rivet, because it will most probably be an aluminum Pop rivet.

4. zenas

zenas Member

First one of those I fixed I used J B Weld. Don't know if that's correct or not but it's on a Fane in a Hiwatt cab still working 20 odd years later.

Might be hard to get the part where your at so grab it off a crap speaker like a Celestion. :)

5. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

I would use JB weld, too. Simple and no chance of metal filings getting anywhere they shouldn't in the serious magnetic field.