1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Broken Ernie Ball Volume Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mingo, Sep 14, 2005.

1. mingo

mingo Member

The string broke on my Ernie Ball Volume pedal, any ideas on how i could fix it?? The string broke near the front of the pedal, where it goes around the pulley, and i don't really know what to do to fix it.

Any suggestions, ideas, diagrams even, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. stucker

stucker Member

Go to the Ernie Ball website and look for customer service. They will probably send you a new string (with instructions) free of charge.

Music stores are another option. Darren Riley carries them in is Raleigh, NC repair shop.

Scott

3. mingo

mingo Member

thanks for the tip.

also one other thing, i was poking around in there and saw this dip switch looking thing... just curious as to what that does.

thanks

4. dzeitlin

dzeitlin Member

The dipswitch changes the quickness (sweep) of the swell

5. stucker

stucker Member

I have an old one with a pot on the side that may serve the same function as the switch. It allows you to have the greatest volume change at either the begining or the end of the pedal travel.

Scott

6. daz

daz Member

Yes they do - they sent me new string spring kit free and I live in Australia!

7. erlinger

erlinger Supporting Member

You can find instructions for changing the string here:

Ernie Ball Page

Hope it helps,
    Mike

8. mingo

mingo Member

thanks for all the tips

9. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

They sent me the free kit also And my pedal was 7 years old,Thats pretty cool Customer service.
    It is also easy to install string and the spring,instructions are good.:dude

10. mingo

mingo Member

did you email them, or call them??

i emailed them yesterday, they haven't replied yet.

11. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

done with email if I recall,it takes time for them to reply:eek:

12. JackJordan

JackJordan Member

My string broke as well, I emailed them but they directed me to their online retailer site where they sell the parts. I guess they are no longer giving away the string?

Their site charges $4 for the string and another $8 to ship it, does anyone know where you can buy it cheaper (for $30 more I can buy a whole used pedal)?

13. sbcallstar

sbcallstar Member

I've had 3 of these, and the string breaks after around a year of use. I use mine for a mute between songs, and as an effect, so it gets alot of abuse. I recently bought a Boss FV-500H, and I gotta say, I really like it. I know its a Boss pedal, but they are built like a tank. One problem, its a pretty big pedal, so it takes up some space, but no string to ever break so I am sold. This is coming from a 5 year user of EB's too. Actually, it sounds better to me than the EB's too. With all my overdrive on, It works just like the volume control on my guitar when rolling it back. It seems to retain the highs a lot better than the EB's did. Really cool.

14. JackJordan

JackJordan Member

^I've been thinking about switching to that expression pedal. My only problem is that I use 3 Ernie ball's (1 for volume and 2 for the M13), so it adds up to a bit of an investment when I change over. Does the Boss expression pedal even work with the M13?

15. sbcallstar

sbcallstar Member

I couldn't tell you that for sure, but I think it does, it has an expression input

16. Moat

Moat Member

I re-string mine with hardware store variety, low-stretch braided (not twisted) mason's line (either polyester or Nylon, IIRC) - just a few bucks for waay more than you'll ever use, and it lasts many times longer than the stock Kevlar string. "Bites" the pot pulley better, too - reducing the possibility of slippage.

Even used a buddy's (golf shoe) shoelace once, swapped out during a set break! That one lasted many years of weekly gigging.

There's no magic to the OEM string, IOW - as long it's something intended for low stretch/elongation under tension... like braided mason's line.

17. electrolyte

electrolyte Silver Supporting Member

Great tip - just restrung/repotted one of mine after 20 years of use. I'll try the mason's line on the other one, also broken.

jp