Broken Eventide TimeFactor

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ethn Hayabusa, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Ethn Hayabusa

Ethn Hayabusa Member

My TimeFactor randomly has parameters start adjusting themselves (screen goes haywire). I contacted Eventide, and it is going to be $100 to fix. If there is no alternative, I guess that is what I have to do.

Just curious if anyone has alternatives to shipping it to Eventide for repair.

2. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

take it apart and reseat the ribbon cable. fixed mine when it had that issue.

3. Ethn Hayabusa

Ethn Hayabusa Member

Ah, the ribbon cable is just not connecting well? Cool, thanks!

4. -Ao-

-Ao- Member

Seriously?! Oh man, i had the exact same issues and i just spent more than $100 for the repair from eventide as they said it was due to hardware issue....

5. Ethn Hayabusa

Ethn Hayabusa Member

That sucks! Another thing that kind of sucks, is the last pitchfactor update made the harmonizers sound horrible, I need to go back to one of the older versions.

6. morg

morg Member

I had the same thing happen to me. I was told by Eventide to reset it back to the factory settings after saving off my presets. I reloaded them and haven't had a problem since.

7. Ethn Hayabusa

Ethn Hayabusa Member

If you are referring to the Timefactor, that's the first thing I tried. No luck for me.

8. -Ao-

-Ao- Member

Yea, i'm gona ask them what exactly went wrong to my eventide.
    Well, at least for the pitchfactor, you can switch back to the older version ;)

I did tried to reset my TF too, not just once but many times, no luck. Hopefully, reseating the ribbon cable solves it all.

9. Cirrus

Cirrus Member

I had a modfactor with the same problem and yes the ribbon cable was the issue. Just be carefull when getting to it because it's between the two boards.

10. Ethn Hayabusa

Ethn Hayabusa Member

-Ao-

I was surprised when they told me about the cost. Fulltone fixed my mini Deja Vibe free, a while after I bought it, and they even paid to send it back to me. Wampler checked out my first generation Superplextortion when I complained about it having low gain, and upgraded it to current specs free.

I didn't expect that out of either company, but I think $100 is sort of ridiculous.

11. -Ao-

-Ao- Member

Yup, i agree that 100USD was kinda expensive, especially if it's just the ribbon cable issue..
    I'm staying outside of USA, so i had to shipped my TF over there, and that cost me around 40USD to ship. 100USD doesn't include shipping it back to my country and i had to pay another 40USD to ship it back.. Well, no choice, i didn't have any options back then :p or maybe i should have asked around in tgp, gah..

12. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

ribbon cables are hardware, not software :rotflmao

13. cube

cube Member

i have seen guys send TF's to even tide with the switches kicked off and they quote a charge , then repair em for free.

14. -Ao-

-Ao- Member

i was thinking hardware=chips :( ahaha

15. Ethn Hayabusa

Ethn Hayabusa Member

I took it apart, the ribbon cable looked fine. I pushed on, it, and didn't notice anything different. Re-assembled it last night, and the problem is gone. Weird. It's been doing that for months.

Saved $100+, so hurray for that.

16. jb4674

jb4674 Member

17. FloydGGG

FloydGGG Member

Can anyone help me? I had a similar problem. It started out with parameters changing by themselves, then sometimes the knobs would not respond to turning. Now, the DLY TIME A channel does not work at all. I reseated the ribbon, but it did not help. Any other suggestions???

18. jb4674

jb4674 Member

Backup your presets and do a factory reset. If that doesn't solve the problem, update to the latest version if it's not updated. After all those options are exhausted, call Eventide for support.

19. SackvilleDan

SackvilleDan Member

Small question... what are you powering it with? I used to use the 9v output on my PP2+, and it worked most of the time, but sometimes it would start acting funny with screen flashes and parameter changes etc. I switched to the high current output on my Iso 5, and problems went away... Any chance this is your problem? Try it into the wall with the original power supply and you might save yourself $100!

20. movingmatter

movingmatter Supporting Member

My PitchFactor recently decided not to power up. I have been powering it with the Eventide PowerFactor. I tried the original included adapter, but still no power. Eventide today quoted me $100 to ship it in, which I feel is high. Anyone else have power problems on the PitchFactor?