Broken Eventide TimeFactor

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ethn Hayabusa, Jan 26, 2012.

1. EvilHomer

EvilHomer Member

My TF's started developing ghosts in the machine type problems very occassionally as well, the menu/parameter scroll thing. Been driving me bonkers but it's just been once every couple of weeks so haven't really spent enough time investigating it yet. Glad I came across this thread, will give i a go with the ol' screwdriver and see what happens.

2. Willard89

Willard89 Member

How did you manage to unclip the ribbon cable? Did you have to remove both PCB's to undo both ends of the cable? I have my TF opened up and ready to fix, but that's as far as I've gotten ha..

3. dejvid

dejvid Member

How does one take a Timefactor apart?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  4. jay1320

jay1320 Member

5. ScottySevins

ScottySevins Member

LMFAO TO THAT POST ABOVE ME!!!!!!!! But this is the reason i would never buy a timefactor or timeline for that reason. Tone can not come from something with software updates. IMO!

6. jb4674

jb4674 Member

Opinions can be subjective.....

I would try those delays before making that type of statement....

--This public service announcement was brought to you by the good people of The Gear page ;) --

7. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

A cable is hardware... Just sayin'.

8. Void_pointer

Void_pointer Member

Ug only slam rocks together to get tone!

Meriphew likes this.
  9. dejvid

dejvid Member

Good one! Eventide have actually asked me to send it over and they said they'll repair it for free; I just have to cover the cost of sending the unit to their US address, which is bound to cost some €€€ I don't have.

If you had left your comment at not wanting to buy a TimeFactor because it was too complex as a pedal and had lots of things that could go wrong, I would agree with you – to a point. But you clearly haven't tried a TimeFactor; it's got a great sound and the fact that it can get software updates has nothing to do with the hardware fault it has.

10. dejvid

dejvid Member

Have you tried taking one apart or was a meme'd response all you could come up with? I've reassembled a Macbook Pro - would this be harder?

11. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

It's pretty easy to get into a TimeFactor, IMO.

12. Dark21

Dark21 Member

Hi guys,thanks for posting and all the info ....... i´ve been having the same thing happening to my TF and Eventide responded must be the power supply since i´ve been using the PP2+ instead it´s original one ..... It looked like they had it right but ii the end it was there again.I live in Spain so quite far and costly to be sent to Eventide and all that.
    Now,fallowing the recomendations here i´ve resembled it (kind of), but just wich part of the ribbon cable needs to be reset, the one that connects to PCB or the other to LCD?
    And by the way,i am not so much familiar with ribbon cables and connectors, so any advice on how to take it out without breaking the thing?
    Thanks again and really would apriciate any important info on this ......

13. rodeodee

rodeodee Member

I've had one or 2 flip outs on stage where it's rebooted. My gut feeling on mine so far was that it was related to the power jack or that part of the board getting a bit too much stress on it. It could be the ribbon cable though. When I'm toggling through the banks with the right side switch occasionally the force causes a blank and a reboot. Hmm.

14. Dark21

Dark21 Member

Hi,i just thought to share my experience in messin´arround with this thing .....
    Didn´t find a safe way to reseat the connector so i just pushed it a little bit and hoped for the best.
    It is a very compact pedal,the inside is designed to take maximum useage of all the space so to me it made it a little tricky to handle fearing not to touch and brake any of this small components(usually would leave that to tecnition).A little piece od soldering material has droped down from me handeling the PCB and that scared the **** out of me thinking i´ll get a perfectly deluxe white noise pedal as was someone elses experience here.
    Well,i´ve had it on and playing long hours for the last 2 days and all is fine.
    In my case it wasn´t happening all the time,but it did have a nasty tradition of starting at gigs, i just believed it to be the current powering problem or maybe bad grounding in some places we played,unstable current,it looked like a reasonable explanation. Just lately it became a regular thing but it seams to be solved for now.
    Still,if someone would please explain exactly how you disconnect and reseat the ribbon cable, it could be maybe needed in the future if this ever starts happening again.

15. dejvid

dejvid Member

I've had Eventide offer to repair it for free as long as I paid for shipping costs.

16. zapugh_33

zapugh_33 Member

I just had the same problem and adjusting the ribbon cable to press it into place harder fixed it no problem!
    Maybe Im crazy, but it seems as though the pedal is carrying my signal clearer now as well!

17. Dad love mom

Dad love mom Member

I just found this through a Google search. I was having the same issue with my Eventide Space. The issue is now seemingly solved.

18. fratrottola

fratrottola Member

Hello to everyone. I'm new in the forum and this is my first public post.
    I know Eventide Tmefactor is a well known pedal and that this thread is quite old, but since i had some problem with TF and managed to fix em thanx to this and other threads on TGP i just want to share my experience that may be useful for someone else.

The problem was: when powered all TF led blink together, lighting on and off but the unit never boots. I've tried to power the unit with its stock power supply, and with powerfactor 2 (both with center positive cables). I've contacted Eventide support and followed their suggestion (booting in update mode with USB cable plugged in and also without) but with no luck.

Here's Eventide support answer regarding TF power draw:

Hi Francesco,

First off, if you are using the PowerFactor 2, then you should be using the 12VDC 400mA outlet to power the TimeFactor. Please see below.
    MF, TF, PF, H9 and Space can operate from a 5W power source that supplies regulated 9 to 12VDC max. The minimum required power ranges from a maximum of 4.5W at power up (all LEDs lit) to about 3.6W in normal operation depending on how many LEDs are lit.

For a regulated 12VDC,
    The current requirement is 380mA at power up and 300mA in normal operation. Do not use unregulated 12V.

For a regulated 9VDC,
    The current requirement is 500mA at power up and 400mA in normal operation.​

Before spendig quite alot of money on repair I decided to try everything i could. After a bit of research no big issues were popping around with TF (and almost none was complaining about TF blinking) but many of the hardware problems were often caused by the ribbon cable that connects the 2 PCB inside TF.

I end up opening the unit: the ribbon cable was slightly loose on one side, so some pins were not connecting properly. I uplugged and plugged angain the ribbon cable and the Timefactor was back to life again.

Francesco

PS: Thanks to SackvilleDan, he had similar problems with TF, and he helped me to find a solution.

19. pico322

pico322 Member

Same issue here, and the ribbon trick worked for me too! Thank you guys!