Broken Floyd Rose String

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by emirsenkul, Mar 25, 2020.

1. emirsenkul

emirsenkul Member

Hi, Bought my first guitar (Schecter Banshee-6 SGR FR) and it actually arrived today i unboxed it and started tuning (like a normal guitar) and boom the high e string just broke from the headstock (learnt that you can't tune them from the headstock with hard way) the string is still there can play/tune it as well but its not connected to headstock
    so how much will it last? until it just drops itself (or does it)

2. PhuzzphayzZ

PhuzzphayzZ Member

It shooould stick, but,... eh,... I'd probably replace it just cuz it'd get on my nerves

3. emirsenkul

emirsenkul Member

Would this be enough?

4. PhuzzphayzZ

PhuzzphayzZ Member

don't have time right now, but if you've never changed a Floyd guitar...lol....oh are you in for a treat, bwahahahaha!!!!

I find it a chore.... pretty sure the vid will guide you fine

5. emirsenkul

emirsenkul Member

People say that its so hard but in that video the guy just unscrews it removes it changes it screws it back and just tunes it like normal i really don't get what is hard here? or is this not the full story

woof* likes this.
  6. PhuzzphayzZ

PhuzzphayzZ Member

lol, I said "chore",... it's not "hard", just ... if I had a nephew, I'd get him to do it, lol... PITA... you may feel differently... no, it's straightforward...

7. wvpv

wvpv Member

I don't see how it's harder than any other floating type tremolo. The hardest part is finding the right thickness of shim to hold it level.

8. Radius

Radius Supporting Member

Home of Les Paul, Lambeau Field , Harley Davidson
    I wouldn't gig with it but i'd leave it just to see how long it stayed!

4b454e and CarlGuitarist like this.
  9. CarlGuitarist

CarlGuitarist Member

This reminds me of a video with Dimebag from Pantera playing a Floyd equipped guitar with a broken headstock live.

monty and JohnSword like this.
  10. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

Just be carefull when you go to remove that string (especially your eyes)
    No way to relieve all the tension.

4b454e and Johnny Moondog like this.
  11. MjS88

MjS88 Member

Yeah I'd slack all the strings using the bar, just a giant divebomb, and then unlock the nut.

athemoros and Johnny Moondog like this.
  12. aaland_brian

aaland_brian Supporting Member

First off, the string will stay just fine since its fully clamped in. Second if you replace the string with the same gauge you will have no problem. A lot of people replace they're floyd strings one at a time with no shim. The only thing of difficulty on a floyd is setting intonation, the rest the same as a strat tremolo. Do listen to the previous poster about slacking the strings with the whammy bar though when you unclamp it.

eclecticsynergy, Sidmore and monty like this.
  13. GT100

GT100 Member

It all comes down to how mechanically inclined you are.
    For me this is nothing. For others it’s a challenge to do correctly...

Lloyd

14. Johnny Moondog

Johnny Moondog Member

Yep, my first two guitars, way back in the day,
    were Floyd Rose trems.

Such a pain to restring / intonate,
    that I have avoided them ever since.

15. woof*

woof* Member

1980 called and want their locking nut and wrench back.

RedRedWorm likes this.
  16. CloneTone

CloneTone Member

If there's one thing that will make your life easier with a Floyd Rose double-locking trem, it's to replace the strings with the same gauge of strings that are currently on there. If you change string gauges, and tension, you'll need to fiddle with the trem-springs in the back of the guitar to get the bridge to float correctly again.

Find out what strings came with it from the manufacturer, and replace them with only those. Otherwise, the hard lessons begin. I learned the hard way, made me better for it, but wasted so much time in the past.

monty likes this.
  17. monty

monty Member

i used to be afraid of Floyds, once I got one and did a couple string changes I realized it is actually one of those things that are overblown. It really isn't that hard, actually once set up I find it a lot easier that a Strat to maintain.

4b454e likes this.
  18. silverburstlp

silverburstlp Member

It seems the problem here was you did not unlock the nut before tuning, thus the string is still stuck under the locking nut and why it broke above that. Floyds are not all that confusing, especially one string at a time.

But when you do replace it or tune the other strings, you have to use an allen wrench to unlock the nut at the top, the fine tuners (named because they are for fine tuning) at the bridge are for quick on the fly adjustments of a few cents, not your primary tuning source.

19. Beauchamp

Beauchamp Member

That happened to me also during a gig, flipped the guitar around my neck but I was crouching too low at the time and the headstock hit the stage, broke off and I played the rest of the set with headstock broken and hanging, was still in tune!

monty likes this.