1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Broken Line6 DL4: Repeats are distorted, no headroom. How to fix?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by teleguido, May 24, 2011.

1. teleguido

teleguido Member

I recently acquired a broken DL4 in the hopes that I would be able to fix it. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a fix online for the issue I'm experiencing.

All the repeats sound distorted. It does this on all settings. It's especially noticeable with the looper, as it becomes more and more distorted as the loop keeps repeating. I tried resetting it, but that did not help.

I tested the power supply (the regular Line6 power supply) with my multimeter, and it was putting out around 10.3 volts AC. Supposedly it should be putting out 9V AC, so I decided to try plugging it into my BBE Supa Charger. I set the dip switch correctly for a Line6 pedal, and it powered up just fine. When running from the BBE Supa Charger there was less distortion present in the repeats and the unit seemed to have more headroom. If I played softly, I could make the repeats not distort, and if I strummed hard the repeats would distort as much as they had before with the Line6 power supply.

Anyone have any idea what is going on here? Links, advice, etc. would be much appreciated.

Also, if you happen to be someone who fixes DL4s feel free to send me a PM.

2. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

Try putting the drive pedals before the delay, not after........

Just kidding, have you tried contacting the manufacturer??

3. teleguido

teleguido Member

No... I'm not the original owner, and there's no way I'm going to spend the cash to have Line6 fix the thing. My plan is either to fix it myself, pay a fellow gearpager to fix it, or send the thing back from whence it came. :)

Anyone have any ideas?

4. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

Dan Rasp - or DRASP as he is known here - is the best expert at fixing and upgrading those pedals that i know of. :YinYang

5. Axekisser

Axekisser Member

Check the obvious stuff first: Plug your non-active PU guitar into the DL4 and output to amp or monitoring chain (could be overdriving the input op-amps). Make sure the jacks are clean. Check to make sure there's no old batteries in the unit (I've seen weird things happen with the original batteries long forgotten, still in the unit). Use the looper setting as it gives a clean repeat and see how it sounds.

6. Citizen_Insane

Citizen_Insane Member

How good are you at SMD soldering? That sounds possibly either a blown voltage regulator or opamp to me.

7. teleguido

teleguido Member

Never done SMD soldering before... After opening this thing up, I'm not sure I want it to be my first attempt. Those traces and pads are TINY!

And yeah, I think you are probably right as to it being either a problem with the voltage regulator or an opamp. I've read a lot about how ridiculous and overcomplicated the voltage regulator circuitry is on these things.