• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Broken Wires from Humbucker

wire-n-wood

Silver Supporting Member
I'm assembling a parts guitar with some Tonerider humbuckers. I tried to push the wires from the two humbuckers through the drilled hole into the control cavity. But the drilled hole was too small for both sets of wires with their 'grippy' coating. But because I'm determined, and because I'm an idiot, I kept pushing and pulling... wrapped them in some plumbers thread-tape, finally got it through and pulled the rest with pliers and great violence.

In the process, I shortened the wires (by breaking some off) and I'm pretty sure I damaged some of the wires within the cable. In particular, the 'hot' wire is very thin, delicate wire. (Why is it so small? Surely a fatter wire would carry a better signal.)

Result - the neck humbucker does not work. Even if I put the guitar cable to the hot wire, or if I use an Ohm meter from hot to ground, gets nothing. (Whereas my other pickups all get a sensible reading on this connection.) And the bridge humbucker has a very short cable such that it only just reaches, it compromises the solder, and then it stresses the joint and disconnects when I try to put the controls and wires all into the control cavity.

Ugh.

So my question is... Is it advisable at this stage to open the humbuckers, and solder on new hot and earth wires? There was also a black wire and white wire that were soldered together (I think for split coil options). Since I'm not using them, could I just solder them together closer to the pickup without needing to bring them through to the control cavity?

Am I crazy? Any input from experienced people would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
wire-n-wood

vortexxxx

Supporting Member
You may have detached one of the leads from the coil. I would check that first. That can be re-attached but it must be done carefully.

wire-n-wood

Silver Supporting Member
You may have detached one of the leads from the coil. I would check that first. That can be re-attached but it must be done carefully.
Thanks. I cut the wire off at an inch, tested it, and the connection was good. So i wired it from there, and i now have a fully working parts-explorer. Once the neck settles, I'll check the intonation and see if i have a guitar worthy of joining the rotation. The neck feels good, so I'm hopeful.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom