brown bandmaster: leave as head, or create 3x10 "1960" combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by vanguard, Feb 13, 2012.

what treatment does the ol' bandmaster get?

1. keep it as a junkyard head/cab

2. spend some money and make a brown combo amp

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. vanguard

vanguard Member

i've got a blonde bandmaster that is in a non-original blackface head-cab w/ non-original baffle. i like the junkyard look of the amp and non-matching cab a lot. i'm thinking, however, this amp would be a pretty perfect candidate as a drop in for a replica of a 1960 3x10" brown bandmaster combo. just need the cab and some brown knobs and i'm done. i think i'll actually just run 1x12" for now (even in the combo) but get the right size so i can 3x10" it if/when i want to. the amp's got an 8 ohm mercury mag output tranny too, so it's even the same ohms as the old brown bandmaster combo.

of course, this would be a $300-450-ish venture to combo it, whereas it's paid for right now. and what about resale? better as a mishmash head, or as a replica combo?

so. . .keep the head/cab configuration, or go for the combo?

[​IMG]

2. vanguard

vanguard Member

i'd love some reasons why too, rather than just a "vote". . .

3. hogy

hogy Member

Well, I've owned a '60 Bandmaster combo and I still have a brown Bandmaster head.

I prefer the head, it's much more versatile.

That said, I tend to play everything through a 4x12 anyway, and the BM through an old Marshall cab just kills.

4. vanguard

vanguard Member

interesting. . .

5. vibrasonic

vibrasonic Member

I have a 61 BM that came in a recovered head, non original Xformers.
    I had Gregg Hopkins at Vintage Amp Restorations build me this 3x10.
    I like it but have been thinking of going back to the head cab thing.
    It sounds really interesting with the 3x10. I put a Mercury Mag 4ohm OT and 3 weber sig
    alnicos (8ohm speakers)
    [​IMG]

6. sabby

sabby Member

It depends. Do you have any multiple 10 cabinets? I like 2, 3, or 4 tens in an open-back cabs. I voted combos -- the whole open-back Fender thing -- to closed cabs and I love 10s. There you have it.

7. joeybsyc

joeybsyc Member

I vote to restore it in its authentic head/cab setup...with some gold sparkle grill cloth!;)

[​IMG]

8. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

Why not just build it? You still have the head cab, so when you want a combo you have a combo and when you want a head, put the chassis in the head cab. Best of both worlds. This is all non-destructive so you lose nothing.

I'm actually just finishing up a deal to get a Blackline Bandmaster that this was done to and that flexibility between bringing my combo or just bringing a head as the situation dictates has me pretty excited.

9. gmann

gmann Member

I've got a '62 Bandmaster head. My 3X10 cab is comin' hopefully this week It was built by www.mathercab.com. I can't wait.

10. Powertwang

Powertwang Member

So, I just picked up an empty '62 Concert cab last week after puzzling over what to do with it, I looked around my basement and realized that my '62 Bandmaster should fit right into it, so all I need are some 10s and a grill and I'm rocking my Bandmaster, combo-style.

Before I do so, though, do you have any words of wisdom or warning from your efforts to combo up?