• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Brown-headstock Gibsons

GibsonSGgirl

I have a Gibson B-25N acoustic guitar that has a brown, or natural-finish headstock with the raised 'Gibson' lettering in mother-of-pearl colour.

When I bought it, the seller told me it was either a '69 or a '70, but I know Gibson frequently reused older serial numbers, so I've never been entirely sure what year it is from. I will post the serial number when I get home. I will say, however, that it does say 'Made in USA' stamped on the back of the headstock under the serial number, and it does have the volute.

What I'm wondering is, did Gibson ever make any acoustics with the non-black headstocks? This one has some sort of finish or laquer over it, as it's shiny, so it doesn't look like it's been stripped off at all.

Also, I have seen several B-25s and B-25Ns with the normal, black headstock, and they seem to have only risen in price dramatically from back in 2002 when I bought mine.

Lastly, were these a student guitar, or a cheaper model at all? Or does anyone have any information about them? They're the size of a classical guitar, which I always liked, and mine looks like a miniature J-50 (at least to me)...

Any ideas what a brown-headstock Gibby acoustic would be worth?

phantasm

They did the firebrand series that just had a natural wood headstock in the 70's- but i think that was only electrics.

highrise

'Raised' Gibson lettering makes me think the headstock veneer may have come off except that would typically take the lettering with it...

Pics?

Cody

Well, look who’s undead!
Sounds original. Here's a '69 B-25N at MandoBros for $1295 :

highrise

If that bridge is metal, which it appears to be...the difference would certainly be noticable.

It would also be an improvement. ;)

I like that guitar a lot. Very cool!

If that bridge is metal, which it appears to be...the difference would certainly be noticable.

It would also be an improvement. ;)

I like that guitar a lot. Very cool!
The "bridge" is wood. The saddle, however, also is wood, mounted with metal. The height adjustment hardware includes large brass studs embedded into the top of the gtr. Many times on gibson flat tops from the sixties, I have removed the bridge, removed all the metal foolishness, filled in the the holes in the spruce, fill the big slot in the bridge, reglue the bridge, and cut a slot for a conventional bone saddle. It's like getting the other half of your sound that the gtr never left the factory with in the first place. Many earlier sixties gibson flat tops had molded plastic bridges with ceramic saddles (WTF were they thinking?!?!?).

highrise

The "bridge" is wood. The saddle, however, also is wood, mounted with metal. The height adjustment hardware includes large brass studs embedded into the top of the gtr. Many times on gibson flat tops from the sixties, I have removed the bridge, removed all the metal foolishness, filled in the the holes in the spruce, fill the big slot in the bridge, reglue the bridge, and cut a slot for a conventional bone saddle. It's like getting the other half of your sound that the gtr never left the factory with in the first place. Many earlier sixties gibson flat tops had molded plastic bridges with ceramic saddles (WTF were they thinking?!?!?).

Funny, plastic and ceramic...the 'key' to tone.:banana

not.:thud

Didn't the original LP's abr's have nylon saddles?
That everyone replaced?

GibsonSGgirl

Just curious, how much does it cost to have that done? I'm thinking it might be worth it if it brightens it up and improves the tone...

Just curious, how much does it cost to have that done? I'm thinking it might be worth it if it brightens it up and improves the tone...
Like I said, "It's like getting the other half of your sound that the gtr never left the factory with in the first place".
Contact your local reliable repair shop. There are various levels of "completeness" you can discuss with your luthier. Some may not remove the bridge and top-mount studs, just fill the big slot in the bridge and re-cut for a traditional size saddle (I've done that too).

Trending Topics