Brown Note Lite 18 vs. Dr Z Carmen Ghia?

TommyStrat

Hey bud. I have never played the two side by side and have not played the Brown tone yet. However I have spoken to Moss in detail and he is building me a Brown note 22 watt. The guy is super smart and taylors each amp to the individual. My friend and guitarist killer Phil Brown was gushing about the amps touch sensitivity at the Namm show. Phil has a collection of old Marshalls and some of Lee Jacksons amps and has played some of my custom stuff as well and says the Brown Tone amps are the best he has played. Plus I like the fact you get what you consult about. I should have mine in another 4 weeks or so. Will report in once I get a chance to gig with it. Good luck.

allynmey

Hi Jump, I've played most of the Brown note stuff and can tell you it sounds top notch! I've never been much a fan of the Carmen Ghia. I'd go with Brown Notes amp. The CG seems to be missing a lot of the mids and low end due to the tonestack.

Tone Disciple

Platinum Supporting Member
Ghias get a great tone at good volumes, but break up pretty quickly as you up the volume. The deal clincher for me would be the Phil Brown recommendation listed above. This guy is great!

joolzriff

i just checked out that brown note stuff....wow....does it come pre assembled?? i'm underthe impression its kits??

JumpMarine

i just checked out that brown note stuff....wow....does it come pre assembled?? i'm underthe impression its kits??

You can buy the D'Lite series(22,33,44), Voxybrown and Lite 18 as prebuilt amps. The cool tolexing alone makes me want to buy one!

lite18.jpg

JumpMarine

Hi Jump, I've played most of the Brown note stuff and can tell you it sounds top notch! I've never been much a fan of the Carmen Ghia. I'd go with Brown Notes amp. The CG seems to be missing a lot of the mids and low end due to the tonestack.

What's your take on the D'lite 22 kit? Is it just the parts, no instructions and follow the layout/schematic?

rockster12

the Z's never did it for me. I've spent a bit of time with the Brown Note amps and they sound Killer. Moss is a good guy that listens to what the player wants out of their amp.
As far as Phil Brown goes, this guy is a tone machine. And I was fortunate enough to jam with him at the Brown Note booth and true to form, he got some amazing tone out of these amps. And yes, he does think very highly of these amps. Another friend of mine, Micheal Ault from the Paul Reed Smith Band, is a really good guitar player with great tone and he has a Brown Note amp being built right now.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom