Brown Princeton VS blackface Princeton

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by retrobob, Jan 3, 2008.

1. retrobob

retrobob Member

The brown Princetons are really great sounding amps.
    Not so sure about the blackface princetons? (excluding the Princeton Reverbs)
    Is the circut that different other than the bass treble instead of a tone knob?

2. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

I think Blackface Princeton's sound GREAT. That said, the brownface Princeton I used to own was the best sounding amp I ever owned. I;ve owned hundreds. Its THE one I miss.

The trem on the Brownies is different and sounds so full and lush, nothing comes close to Fender Brownface Trem. Its worth the extra $$.

3. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Completely different amps IMO...

4. retrobob

retrobob Member

Are they really that different, besides the tremolo and the bass & treb controls?
    The tone is just way better in the Brownies for some reason.

5. atomicmassunit

atomicmassunit Member

You can get a lot more grind outta the browns. They're VERY VERY VERY similar, almost identical to the Tweed Vibrolux. The blackfaces are cleaner, with less midrange. There is also a transitional princeton, the White Knob princeton, which looks like a blackface, but has the same circuit as the brownie, Vol Tone Depth and Speed controls with white knobs with blackface cosmetics.

I had a sweet little BF Princeton and sold it to Sonny Landreth. It sounds even better now, when he plays it!

6. doctord02

doctord02 Member

They are substantially different; the tonestack of the brown lets a hotter signal thru, where as the blackface attenuates the signal quite a bit. The brown runs at a lower voltage using a 5y3 recto and has less clean headroom. The blackface has a higher voltage and uses a GZ34 recto.

Brown Fenders are by far my favorite sounding Fenders... They're just *nasty* in a Billy Gibbons kinda good way...

7. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

Don't overlook the '64 transistional model of the blackface Princeton is actually the brownface Princeton in blackface clothes. I have one with creme knobs and it's anything but a nice polite blackface. It just looks that way. :D

8. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I've never had the pleasure of playing through one but I love sweet, innocent looking, guitars and amps that'll just rip your head off when the time is right. Shock value, that's the ticket! :AOK

9. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

I have a BF Princeton and it does not distort at all, even on 10.

It is a very very clean tone.

It's my main at home amp but with just a cord and a gitter, it don't cut it.

10. jetattblue

jetattblue Member

If the brownface tonestack lets more signal through, does that mean the amp is louder overall than the blackface; or, does that mean it distorts quicker, but the overall volume is about the same?

11. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Never played a Blackface Princeton I liked much at all (but I love BF Princeton Reverbs). Never played a Brown Princeton I didn't like.

It all depends on what you are looking for. Don't expect much natural grind or crunch from a BF Princeton.

12. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

A quick pic of my Wolf in Sheeps clothing! :)

[​IMG]

13. doctord02

doctord02 Member

Distorts quicker; blackface may be a bit louder since it's operating at a slightly higher voltage as well. Blackface will feel slightly stiffer with the GZ34 recto instead of the 5Y3.

If you wanna hear something amazing, plug a brown princeton into a Marshall 4x12 and turn it up to about 7. Pure bar-b-que sauce saturated nastyness that instantly transforms you into the Rev Willy G. Try it, it's guarenteed to put a grin on yer face.

A how, how, how...

14. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

is that an aluminum dustcap peeking through the grillcloth?

15. HKGuns

HKGuns Member

Gas man nailed it. The BF Princeton, Non reverb, stays clean at full volume. It just refuses to break up.

The browns on the other hand have that wonderful in between tweed and blackface sounds that make them rare and so special. They break up just like a tweed amp will when pushed.

Brown's and Blondes are my favorite Fender's followed very closely by the tweeds, with BF/SF coming in last place for my ears.

Here's my 62 Brownie.

[​IMG]

16. retrobob

retrobob Member

Hmmm, I love BBQ sause and ZZ Top too!
    It just so happens, I have a old Marshall 4x12. Perhaps I shall try it with my little brown tone box. You think that 16 ohm cab would pose a problem?

17. soulohio

soulohio Member

so who makes a brown princeton clone?

does a princeton reverb sound like a brown princeton? is there such a thing as a brown princeton reverb?

18. goodtone

goodtone Member

These guys make a clone . http://quinnamp.com/ Wish I could say I've heard one. Cool looking amps.

19. Bob Arbogast

Bob Arbogast Supporting Member

Try a Hot Fudge from Allen Amps. It's not a strict clone, but is an absolute knock-out of an amp (not to be confused with the Hot Fudge with Nuts, which is modeled after the brown Deluxe).

Bob Arbogast

20. soulohio

soulohio Member

which one is the princeton clone?