Brown Pro vs Pro Reverb trade advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bbes347, Feb 21, 2009.

Trade or not?

1. Trade!

2. Do Not Trade!

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. bbes347

bbes347 Member

Some of you guys might be able to help me figure this one out.
    I have a '66 Pro Reverb in great condition but without the original speakers. A friend of mine has a Brown Pro in the same condition, completely original. He wants to do a straight up trade. I'm not playing the PR right now and I'd love to try something different. On the other hand, the PR is a really fantastic amp and I only paid $1100 for it.
    I haven't played the Brown Pro yet. So, I don't know how it sounds. Let's assume that it sounds great. What do you guys think? Strictly thinking of this as an investment, would the trade make sense?

Let's make it a Poll. Polls are fun.

2. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Both are great amps and have their own voicing. From an investment standpoint I would go with the brown Pro as it's a true pre CBS amp, they have lower production numbers and will always bring a bit more $$$ on the vintage market. I would make sure the transformers are original and no invasive mods were done before making the trade.

3. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

It all depends on what you want as a player, if it were me I'd trade in a heartbeat!

4. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

call him now,wake his ass up.the trem on the brown ones are amazing.

5. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Supporting Member

Both amps, when running properly, are outstanding. With that said, the alnico 15" which usually came loaded in the brown Pro is nowhere near as efficient on the bass frequencies as the typical 50w ceramic 2x12 compliment in the PR. Some guys like the fuller midrange and looser bass on the brownie (phenomenal slide amp, esp. with a Strat or Tele, and as Mars says, the trem is completely sui generis), others want the definition and reverb from the bf. YMMV, try before you trade.

6. bbes347

bbes347 Member

This is interesting feedback. Thanks a lot for the input, guys.

My player amp is a Tweed Twin Reissue. I'm not really looking to replace it. I don't think anything could. But I'd like another amp to play around with.

Thanks again!

7. gi doc

gi doc Member

The blackface Pro Reverb is probably an overall better sounding amp.........probably one of the top 10 amps Fender has ever done. However, from an investment standpoint, the trade is the better way to go. You'll be coming out around $500 on top with the Brownie original, best guess. I agree that the brownie is more of a blues/slide amp. If you don't trade, I might be interested in the Brown Pro as long as it's all original and the guy is reputable.

8. mrmax

mrmax Member

Yeah it sounds close to a Univibe
    :cool::cool::cool:;):munch

9. sabby

sabby Member

A EMV15L will tighten the bottom turn that Pro into an American-Marshall monster.

10. takakat

takakat Member

I had 1960 Pro and I wanted an amp with reverb so I sold Pro and bought a 66 Pro Reverb. When I did this switch of amp back in early 90's there was no reverb pedal such as Holy Grail available. 60 Pro amp was much better amp than Pro Reverb especially mine had JBL D150F in it and I used it for 15 years on road without any problems. I was never happy with Pro Reverb so now I own a 74 Twin Reverb and it made me forget about Brown face Pro.