Brown Tone amps Namm

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TommyStrat, Jan 25, 2008.

1. TommyStrat

TommyStrat Member

Did anyone see an amp line called Brown Tone at Namm? My friend saw them and is an owner of many fine vintage and custom amps and was gushing about them. I believe he said Brown tone. I have heard about Brown sound reconing and some other names containing brown sound but have not heard of Brown tone amps until yesterday. Any input is welcome.

2. seeker

seeker Member

Here's the link to their web site :

www.brownnote.net I'm building an 18 watt kit, almost finished ! They do sell complete amps as well as DIY kits. I did not attend NAMM , and have never played a Brown Note amp, but I hear very good things about them, can't wait to fire up mine.

H

3. brownnote

brownnote Member

Thanks Seeker..yup that's us...Tommy who was your friend? PM me.

4. jazzguitarplay

jazzguitarplay Member

Please tell me, how much technical training does one need to put one of these kits together?. Please take in mind I can hardly turn a screwdriver. I really want one of these amps but again am not technically inclined

5. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

There are a few people here on the board that will put the kit together for you. Besides the company doing it themselves
    I you have trouble turning a screwdriver then I suggest having it done.

6. tambokgt

tambokgt Member

I'm waiting for them to come up with the BluesMaster kit.... Is it available now?

7. brownnote

brownnote Member

Many folks have built a kit successfully as their first attempt, but you really need to have some grasp of what you're doing and particular attention to detail.

We build them...keep in mind the kit is the simplified version...the production amps have many more features and voicing options.

8. brownnote

brownnote Member

If you're talking about A Brown Soun, to my knowledge they don't make amps.
    I've dealt with John and he tinkers and does some repairs, but I'm not aware of any commercial offerings, correct me if I'm mistaken.

9. brownnote

brownnote Member

the D44 Kit can be modified into a BluesMaster...we don't offer a plug and play kit, but several folks have done it already so it's entirely possible.

10. pickslide

pickslide Supporting Member

Damn those Voxy 18 sound clips sound amazing. Is the Brown switch more of a half power switch or something else?

Do you really have to crank the amp to get those tones? Sounds just awesome.

11. brownnote

brownnote Member

Thanks!
    Glad you like it!
    yes, Brown Switch is lower power switch.
    No you don't have to crank it...it has a very useable "master" Volume control.

12. will132

will132 Member

If I was to buy the D44 kit, how do I go about the modification? Do you include, or can provide the schematics/parts to do this?

Thanks,

Jim

13. jspax7

jspax7 Member

Here ya' go. http://store.bnamp.com/dsumodkit.html

There's a forum to help out with any issues. Also, an assembly guide.

My first build was a D'Lite, and every question I had was answered. Since I had not built an amp before, I asked for assistance with the initial power up. There may be someone in your area that has built one, and would be willing to help, as the kits and production amps are finding there way across the globe.

Moss and Norm have done a great service with these kits. The tone rivals that of amps costing much more, and you get to learn how to mod it too. IMO, the education alone is easily worth the price of a kit.

I also own a production prototype with these mods, and the tone is addicting! I have owned more expensive amps, and the D'Lite (imo) clearly holds it's own with the other Dumble inspired amps I've played.

I have recommended and demoed this amp to prospective owners, (one lives in the UK, and ordered an amp) and I will continue to do so, because they're great! :dude

14. will132

will132 Member

Outstanding, thanks for the link and info!

15. TommyStrat

TommyStrat Member

I would hire a tech to assemble. I wonder if they sell them assembled. They really got my friends attention and he gets all kinds of free amps from the big boys. I am thinking 22 watts would be fine with my other rigs. I like to run sterio rigs so a small amp with a warm sound would be great.

16. jazzguitarplay

jazzguitarplay Member

Id rather have the big boys build it for me so I can keep practicing guitar. Im interested in the D'lite 44, what does the bluesmaster mod alter the tone? Im after the most Dumble sounding tone monster

17. doveman

doveman Member

18. pickslide

pickslide Supporting Member

Is master in quotes because it is not a traditional MV? I did not notice on your website that this amp has a master volume.

19. Shark21

Shark21 Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I've been playing my D'Lite 22 for about a year now. Moss (Rocco) at Brown Note built mine. If you're really interested in this amp and don't feel comfortable building the kit yourself (like me), have the real experts do it. Moss and Norm are so "inside" this project, you can't understand how important it is to have them build it.

I found them on a thread right here on TGP. Every time I turn my amp on, I smile. Every gig I play, some guy comes up and asks, "What kind of amp is that?"

Dave R.

20. katarzis

katarzis Member

the Lite 18 sound samples are amazing!!!
    who is this great player?

Edit - ALL the sound samples are amazing... this player is one of the best i heard in a long time!