Brownface Deluxe speaker recommendation please

sikoniko

I recently acquired my first vintage fender amp. My buddy has both a tweed deluxe and a brownface deluxe. I really liked them both, but was caught off guard by the brownface. I was able to locate a '63 at a great price and I now own it. It currently has the original speaker. It sounds nice, though a different friend of mine doesn't care for it too much, as he thinks it's too 'punchy' - not quite sure what he means by that...

Anyways, I've read that people like to swap the tweed deluxe speakers w/ various celestians, most notably the blue.

Is there a preferred speaker for the brownface deluxe or does everyone just leave the original?

thanks,

mlj_gear

I would not put a Blue in a brown Deluxe myself, as I think the highs could get harsh. I recently changed to a WGS Invader in mine, and am really liking it.

In any case, I think you want to stay away from brighter-sounding speakers.

slider313

Gold Supporting Member
I've tried more than a few in mine. I'm running the Celestion A Type and it compliments the circuit perfectly.

StevenO

As someone who owns a '61 Brown Princeton, but not a deluxe, I suggest you get yourself an old well-worked, thin paper coned speaker, maybe even preferably a smooth cone, or a new production speaker that tries to do the same thing (I.e. Not a speaker that focuses on being robust or loud or heavy duty). Let the amp do the talking and let the speaker take a pounding and learn to work the volume and tone controls on your guitar and amp. They're great sounding amps that need something dynamic and sensitive. That kind of speaker will emphasize the amps characteristics, working with it to let the amp and guitar truly breath.

Trust me on this one. :)

65DuoSonic

I once tried a brownface deluxe that had an old Celestion "blackback" from the '70s installed. It sounded awesome when cranked up.

Last edited:

De Batz

My deluxe is more like a BF, but it does have a higher gain, almost tweedy normal channel. I have just removed a Cannabis Rex for being a bit dull and lacking in sparkle, and replaced it with a Tayden ACE 50. That's some speaker, with a fat low end with a bit of looseness, sparkly treble without being piercing, and good cut in the mids.

If Tayden were easier to get hold of (hint: TAYDEN LADS! IF YOU'RE READING THIS I THOROUGHLY ENDORSE YOUR PRODUCT BUT YOU NEED TO ANSWER YOUR PHONE / EMAILS!) then they could / would be at the very top of everyone's list of favourite speakers. No, scratch that, if they were easier to get hold of everyone would think they were rubbish because they'd lack the unobtainium factor.

sikoniko

thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm guessing it takes a couple months to break a speaker in... how do you guys rotate through speakers to figure out which you like best? every 3 months or so buy a new speaker until you have a few to swap around?

71strat

+1 on the Celestion Cream.

Best speaker Celestion has come out with in decades. If not ever.

Truly 1 of the best speakers available.

Killer for Tweed/Blackface, and Marshall circuits than Ive used/heard them with.

Also just because its 90 watts doesn't mean it wont work well ith a lower watt amp.

It stellar in low watt amps, and is also advertised as such. And they arent wrong. Very reactive/dynamic speaker. Also goes from Clean to OD very smoothly. Creamy smooth. Its probably why they call it Cream.

But IMHO it/they, I use 2 of them, also sounded great straight out of the box.

I mainly use them with either a Metro GMP45, or a Backfaced 69 Dual Showman, that's got an ODS Mod. Its like a Blackface/Tweed combination.

Scottone

I have a Creamback in by '61 as well. Sounds great to my ear and I have absolutely no motivation to try anything else.

sikoniko

i see three different types of cream celestions...

celestion cream alnico
g12m-65
neo creamback

im thinking the recommendation is the alnico, correct?

swiveltung

I depends on what you play and what sound you want. For a more robust clean sound than the original, but retain Fendery clean sound, the Emi GA SC64 is hard to beat.
For more smoothed out highs I had a Weber Silver Bell ceramic in my 60 Brown that was nice.

sliberty

I have a Brown Princeton clone in a 1x12 combo cabinet, loaded with a JBL K-120 and love the results.

71strat

i see three different types of cream celestions...

celestion cream alnico
g12m-65
neo creamback

im thinking the recommendation is the alnico, correct?

Yep.
The 90 watt Cream x Alnico.

Really really nice speaker. IMHO the best speaker Celestion has made in decades, if not ever.

Great with my Blackfaced 69 Dual Showman with an ODS mod, and Metro GMP45.

This is a very smooth, well balanced speaker. Theres nothing about them I don't like, and sounded great straight out of the box, and is getting better as they get broken in.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom