Brownface Trem Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by opdev, Jun 28, 2006.

1. opdev

opdev Member

Any pedals that do

1) Harmonic Vibrato effect based on the Brown concert?

2) Bias modulation trem like an old Gibson or a Brown deluxe?

2. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Monster Effects Swamp Thing and also the Diaz Tremodillo but that one is hit or miss and the new ones do not sound good at all.

3. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

You can get the vibrato from an Austone Vibrostomp, amoung others I am sure. But the brownface bias trem in a pedal is allusive. That has more to do with the magic of power tubes, and a pedal isn't going to get you all the way there. Even the Swamp Thang and Tremodillo, both of which I have owned, aren't the same thing.

4. opdev

opdev Member

Thanks.

Looks like I am going to get a Swampthang to start but I am having a reverb brown trem unit built by a local amp guru!!!!

5. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Opdev: I just had an in-amp trem rewired to be bias-vary. It's a Sano 250R. Trem was crappy sounding before. Now it's great. Really surprised me when I heard it. My amp tech he can do it with other amps. Don't really know what's involved, but it was worth the trouble. I've heard nothing quite the same as that in a pedal, though some pedals have their own cool trem flavors.

6. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

+1. Once you hear a brownface style trem in person, all pedals pale in comparison. That said I have had many trem pedals and love them. There is always one on my board. There just isn't a substitute for actually affecting those big power tubes. Pushing a variably attenuated signal into the front end of the amp just will never sound the same. Cool, but not the same.

7. johan

johan Member

Try the Auralux Trem King.

8. dirtypool

dirtypool Member

Amersfoort, near Amsterdam, the Netherlands, Europ
    I have that one and I love it:BEER

9. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member