Brownie - Marvel Drive - Pinnacle - King of the Britains

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Figaro, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

Can someone that is familiar with all of these MIAB pedals please give a comparison of their sounds?

2. King Rat

King Rat Member

I have the King of The Britains, the one with the boost and lots of knobs...

I owned it when I went through a MIAB phase.. I like it more than the Shredmaster, drivemaster, guv'nor for the OG marshall boxes.

I like the OCD better for cleaner settings for that vibe but the KOB is pretty great! I find it to be PIXIES IN A BOX for the most part and so much more.. it's often the only pedal I'll take for some sessions.

3. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

Thanks. Anyone tried all these?

4. Defendant

Defendant Member

I've tried pinnacle, brownie and KOTB and of the three IMO the most authentic and amplike is the KOTB. Great pedal.

5. alguit

alguit Member

Out of those, I like the Menatone best.

FYI, beyond that one, I've come to prefer Weehbo's JTM and JCM drives even more.

6. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

Thanks! Anyone else tried any?

7. WhoJamFan

WhoJamFan Supporting Member

I thought the Marvel Drive was pretty exceptional, definitely worth trying if you have a chance to.

8. JesterR

JesterR Member

I want to add, that I had 4 knob KOTB and now I have big 7-knob one. And they also sounds pretty different.
    4-Knob has more aggressive and upper-mid boosted sound, with a more pronounced high-end
    7-knob is smoother, lower gain. With a little boxy sound.

9. Nystuss

Nystuss Member

The Marvel has a permanent place on my board. Anything from Hey Joe-esque clean plexi sparkle, to AC/DC crunch, to Van Halen 1 sustain is totally covered. There is nothing better. I slam it with a Rockett Archer in front to take it to later VH/Slash levels of gain. Nothing is more authentic for Plexi tones.

10. scotty31

scotty31 Supporting Member

i haven't played the marvel, but the other three are up there with some of the great MIAB pedals.
    Im a valve convert these days and its a Kingsley Jouster for marshall crunch

But of the three, i really like the KOTB for amp-like response and versatile tones. The Pinnacle is great for that hot rodded crunch tone (esp when you push it some more). The Brownie i tried a long time ago and i remember liking the MI Audio Crunch Box a little more. but both were close.
    I replaced them with a BJF Dyna Red, then a Lovepedal COT. Then an OCD for a long time until the Kingsley came out

I like Nystuss' description of the marvel (and the idea of pushing it with an Archer - klon style boosts into a plexi are pure rocknroll coolness). It sounds like a great pedal.

11. BrandonAy

BrandonAy Member

I will never sell my Marvel drive. Haven't owned any of the other ones, though.

12. tochiro

tochiro Member

The Marvel is far better than the Pinnacle I had.