Browns - slow time of year and off season drama.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Dave Shoop, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

Duke Johnson wants traded, said he won't change his mind after Browns signed Hunt. Duke said there is nothing the Browns can do, he wants out now. Dorsey made off hand comment that Johnson wasn't on the block yet when the move was made. (first step by Dorsey that I shook my head at. It seemed unnecessary to say that ) I think Johnson legitimately has a reason to feel disrespected. I would have preferred they just kept Johnson and not signed Hunt. (Although it could turn out well in the end) Hunt has been doing well and paid a price for his bad behavior.

After listening to Johnson's presser, Mayfield said the trains moving, you either get on it or get out of the way. Mayfield feels strongly about commitment. Maybe he could have stayed out of it but his belief is you are committed to the team and work 100% for the goal of winning or he has no use for you.

Now Johnson's agents husband 2 live crew rapper Uncle Luke (?) posts this comment.

“F--- Baker Mayfield for saying that dumb s--- about Duke Johnson,” tweeted legendary 2 Live Crew rapper Luther Campbell, husband of Johnson’s agent Kristin Campbell. “I guarantee you be the one to divide this locker room up. You are not in Texas at Cracker Barrel.”

Explain to me the Texas Cracker Barrel reference.

Mayfield - is he ok speaking his mind about what he expects from fellow team mates or should he keep a low profile and stay out of these things ?

fretless likes this.
  2. SmilingDave

SmilingDave Supporting Member

Mayfield wants to (and needs to) establish himself as leader, so I wouldn't expect him to keep a low profile. He has always spoken his mind, like it or not, and that's one of the things I like best about him. I have no issue with what he said.

3. onyxrhino

onyxrhino Member

The Browns should be fascinating this season. So much talent, so much potential for an absolute trainwreck.

I wonder if Mayfield's perspective would be the same if he was a lame duck on a team that had signed or drafted his eventual replacement? It's easy to make "it's all about the team" type statements when the franchise is catering to you. Would he say the same if he was getting benched? Didn't he leave his Texas Tech team because he didn't like how he was being treated?

4. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

It's exactly what he is saying and what he did. He didn't want to be at the college that disrespected him so he moved on. I think he is consistent with that. He told Duke to move on just as he did in college if he didn't want to be with the Browns.

5. onyxrhino

onyxrhino Member

Isn't that what Duke is trying to do? He can't just walk and enroll somewhere else. He has to be released or traded.

6. Fatherflot

Fatherflot Member

My wife (who is from Lake county) got an on-campus interview at Baldwin-Wallace last year, but it went, as it always does, to the internal candidate. If that had gone a different way I'd be in position to provide some eye-witness stuff.

7. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

True, I guess it's Duke's agents husband who is stirring the pot. Duke speaking out in pressers makes it harder for the Browns to move him now. Lowered the trade value when everyone knows he wants out. I wonder if this can be patched up or too much damage has been done.

8. Relicula

Relicula Supporting Member

Duke should have been given the door a month ago.

fretless likes this.
  9. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

I'm with Mayfield on this.
    Don't want to be here, move on.
    He said it respectfully, and didn't question anyone's talent.

Dirty_Tones likes this.
  10. zep41

zep41 Member

Dear Duke Johnson: becoming a standout back on a 1-15 and 0-16 team is not really anything to get on your high horse about.

Get this clown off our team, he is an un-needed source of negativity.

Dirty_Tones and fretless like this.
  11. Old Possum

Old Possum Member

They have little drama boy Beckham, wait until he throws one of his little fits, and he will.

Uncle Bob, jiml and fretless like this.
  12. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

I have a feeling their egos will get the best of them and the Browns will be a huge disappointment. They remind me of Jacksonville last year where they think they just have to show up to go 18-0.

SUPER BOWL

Giants 73
    Chiefs -14

Eli Manning: 28-30 567 yards 9 touchdowns. Also has a sack, recovers a fumble, runs a punt back for a touchdown and saves a falling child from section 238 E.

Retires after the game.

Daniel Jones proceeds to help them win 8 more Super Bowls in a row.

Madguitrst, jiml, Carlo and 3 others like this.
  13. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

He did an interview the other day and was very impressive. Not at all what I expected. Winning will solve all problems. If they start out losing it might get funky fast. Hope not.

Old Possum likes this.
  14. ChrisVereb

ChrisVereb Member

I'm not super into the NFL, but I live in Cleveland (moved here from out of state a few years ago). Every summer "this year is different". Every winter....that year was the same.

15. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

lol, but this year really is different.

ChrisVereb and fretless like this.
  16. Old Possum

Old Possum Member

They guy just thinks he's above the rest of the team. but here's his chance to change that, maybe he can.

17. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

I'm a Giants fan and never had a huge problem with him.

Everyone said he practiced hard and played hard. It was just the off the field stuff that bugged NY because they like Barkley as the face of the franchise.

But his off the field stuff wasn't that bad. I just think they got sick of the ego.

Dave Shoop likes this.
  18. AudioWonderland

AudioWonderland Member

1-It doesn't matter how Mayfield would feel about it until that time comes. 2- as you pointed out, he left and didn't hang around pouting like a little bitch. He moved on and fix something about it..

19. dave s

dave s Member

A bit of backstory on Duke Johnson. He's a good football player - runs well, catches ball well from RB position. However, his touches during games and number of plays on the field have diminished in recent seasons. Duke saw his lowest production year in 2018. And that's on a team that went 3-33 over 2.5 years with Hugh Jackson at the helm. This says to me that maybe Duke Johnson has a much higher impression of his capability and value to a team than the rest of the organization.

Fast-forward to recent events cited by OP. Browns and Duke Johnson are both in a lose-lose situation right now. Duke is under contract for at least another 2 years, maybe 3. He's being paid top-15 running back money. Not huge, but worth more as a productive piece in the offense than his low trade value, (probably a 6th or 7th round draft pick) on the open market.

Browns started the trade talks with other teams as Duke stated in his presser. Other teams know he's available and Duke validated the situation in his interview last week. This means NO team will trade anything less than bare bones minimum for Duke Johnson right now but some will hold out hopes that Duke gets an outright release sometime between official training camp all the way through to the trade deadline. He'll be traded or released and the Browns will get next to nothing for him.

I like that the NFL as a whole is very good at assigning 'fair value' to players.

20. zep41

zep41 Member

The only important note here is that Duke thinks he is way more valuable than he really is.

It really annoys me that we are still talking about this average player right now, with so many good positive things to talk about in the Browns organization.

Seems like this is the new normal in pro sports - you aren't happy as a player? whine and complain like a baby and you will eventually get your way because normal adults don't want to deal with your crap.