Bruce Marcolina...Philly guitar and amp tech

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by stratzrus, Jan 11, 2008.

1. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I just had some work done on my Korina V by Bruce Marcolina and I just want to recommend him to anyone in the Philadelphia area who needs work done.

He's a really great guy and went above and beyond the call of duty in helping me to get my guitar setup in time with little (really no) notice since I absolutely had to have it done before this weekend.

It plays like butter now and he also helped me troubleshoot my Vibrolux Reverb over the phone. A true gentleman, when the work was done he even gave me a lift to the train station since it was raining.

By coincidence we had hung out at the same teen coffeehouse during the sixties and swapped some wonderful stories about the music scene in Philly over the years (we both heard Hendrix at Temple Stadium in '70).

When I mentioned that I was a TGP'er and he had been recommended by dkaplowitz, he said that Dave and jimfog were both great guys to know and work with and appreciated the recommendation.

A dedicated and meticulous worker; I'd also highly recommend him to anyone who needs work done in the Philadelphia area.

stratzrus

2. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Member

Where is he located? I need to get a tele I put together setup.

3. stratzrus

He's in Chestnut Hill one block off of Germantown Avenue.

Hours are by appointment...he can be contaced at abm690@comcast.net

stratzrus

4. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Bruce is in Chestnut Hill.............and is the best of the best, as a person, player and tech.

His handle here is BruceM............should get you hooked up with him, otherwise, PM me.

- Jim

5. Kappy

Kappy Member

Bruce is good people. This thread reminds me I have to get out to Chestnut Hill some time soon and see him.

Dave

6. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Member

Thanks guys.... I am always looking for a new tech.

BTW we really need to get another high end gear store in the area. Medley has some cool stuff now but I want to see more.

7. Kappy

Kappy Member

Amen to that! Mike has helped turn Medley around as much he can, but they have a ways to go still and I'm not sure they're going to let him take it where he can. Remember when they were a Tyler dealer and always had a couple on hand? That's where I first got to play one. Still love those guitars!

West Chester Music's starting to pick up some, Dave is a TGP member and definitely gets the boutique stuff.

I just wish someone would bankroll a place that has insane variety of the good stuff... like a Fatsound or Destroy All Guitars.

8. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Yeah......there are NO decent boutique electric stores. They all seem to get one of this and one of that..........no chance to run the rack and find something special.

I hope someone moves in and starts doing it RIGHT.

- Jim

9. stratzrus

I think the problem is that people in Philly are so cheap that the market won't support a high end guitar store. I've been thinking about trying to convince Rich at Bluebond to become a Rivera dealer, but realized that a +$2k combo with one 12" speaker like the K-Tre could sit there for years without selling.

8th Street has some nice pieces but all of them are from large manufacturers.

It's sad actually.

10. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Member

Yeah but why are you veiwing it as a Philly thing. No store can just get high end equipment and make money. You need to have a web presence. There isn't one music store in Philly that has a good web based store.

11. jpervin

jpervin Supporting Member

+1

He did some work on a couple of my amps. Bruce knows his stuff and is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.

12. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

I used to own Bruce's Ampeg VT-40...Rocking amp, now owned by SoulOhio...shoulda never sold it....

13. Kappy

Kappy Member

I would think it wouldn't make good sense for them to be a Rivera dealer when there's one in Manayunk/Roxboro and one in Swarthmore/Springfield. As to the cheapness of the Philly area, I can't really speak to that. I see lots of high end pieces moving out of Medley (in the last 3 years I've bought a few pretty expensive pieces from them), they also have acoustic roots upstairs, plenty of REALLY expensive pieces moving in and out of that shop! And Cintioli's carries some pretty high dollar guitars and so does West Chester music.

That being said, most of my money is spent out of state --to avoid taxes or b/c the selection isn't happening here.

14. azimuth

azimuth Member

Rich's store is great, but it's become Peavey-land. I think they make most of their money from lessons and (excellent) shopwork.

He had a Rivera TBR (old school) used and the price was right, still sat for years.

15. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

I lived in Philadelphia for 10 years recently. I guess we didn't really have boutique dealers per say. However, the Cherry Hill GC is a top store, so a lot of nice gear flowed through there. And Russo Music is an hour away in Trenton. Cintioli's, Medley, various decent pawn shops, DiPinto's, Blue Bond, 8th Street, that place in Roxboro (forgot name), Swarthmore Music, Dtown Guitars (a personal fave). Probably Philly would do well with a Fat Sound guitars, but it ain't a wasteland I suppose. I'm cheap. And I lived in Philly, so I guess technically that's correct..he..he..he..

16. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

'Bout time Bruce gets some love!
    Old bud of mine as well.
    He is my amp mod guru
    Not to mention a player himself. I sit in with his band (Georgie Bonds Blues) from time to time

HJ

17. Kappy

Kappy Member

Roxy Guitar

18. stratzrus

I didn't know about the local Rivera dealers, good to know, and am not surprised to hear that some quality pieces are moving well in the burbs.

Philly proper may be another story though. I have seen the higher end pieces sit for months and even longer in the Center City stores.

The cheapness here is legendary though...some people still consider $.50 a proper tip for a taxi ride.

19. brucem

brucem Member

Thanks for the kind words Guys !

20. Bruce Jr.

Bruce Jr. Member

Bruce has been my guitar and amp tech for over 20 years now. Don't know what I'd do without him. Dad, you do good work !!! BTW, can I borrow the R8, R9 and R7 for my gig on Saturday? LOL!!!:roll:roll

Guess his own son won't be able to get an appointment now.

Harry J and Jim stop feeding his ego!!!