Bruno Amp ??s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by John55, Dec 19, 2005.

1. John55

John55 Member

I'm in the market for something around 35w and see that Bruno makes a Cow Tipper and the Tweedy Pie. I gather that these amps are his take on the BF and tweed Fender models.
    I've owned about every model of the originals and just never been really satisfied with the tone. The old tweeds get ratty and don't have enough focus while the BF models are too tight and scooped in the mids to suit. Of the two I prefer the tweed tone because it seems more earthy and warm with a fullness to the notes I don't hear in a BF amp.
    That said, what do the two Bruno models offer? I want a nice warm round clean tone that when pushed will turn into a good smooth overdrive that has some snarl to it w/ being harsh. Reverb would be nice but I can get by w/o it, but I'd really prefer the amp to be in head form only. Any comments appreciated!

2. John55

John55 Member

3. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

The Cowtippers have more mids, and just sound better all around than blackface amps. They distort exactly like the blackface amps, so take that into consideration. The Cow 22 has a much sweeter drive tone than the 45. (just like a Deluxe reverb compared to a super or pro reverb)

The tweedy pie 35 may be exactly what you are looking for. INSANE amp. I need cleans with headroom, so the Cows are better for me, but I WILL own a tweedy pie 35! The cleans are gorgeous and detailed, and the amp goes into a complex overdrive very early on. The only reason I would hesitate to recommend it to you, is that it has a loose feel like an actual 30 year old amp. Im not sure if you are saying you like that or not. In any case, Bruno amps IMO are unbeatable tonally speaking.

4. John55

John55 Member

Tag, thanks for the reply. I'm guessing that the 35CT is much like an old Vibrolux reverb in volume and feel? If so, I would imagine the TP35 would be a better fit even if the feel is a bit loose. I don't need huge amounts of clean headroom but I do need some, which is why I'm looking at a 35w amp and not a 20w.

5. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Don't mean to derail (too much), but the TopHat Super Deluxe 2x12 is a 30W amp with Tweed-ish Vox-ish tones in it.......defintiely a full-sounding 'mostly clean' amp which transitions into overdrive very smoothly.

6. hemlock

hemlock Guest

Don't rule out the Underground 30, either. Fantastic chimey cleans and great grind. Exceptional amp that loved my pedals, too.

7. GM1

GM1 Member

I just ordered a Cow 35. I have a Cow 45 and it has a lot of headroom...more than I need. After talking with Ken Volpe and some others the 35 is probably the right wattage for what I do which is small to medium club gigs. I have played out with 18 watt amps and there is just not enough headroom so I'm inclined to stay around 35.

I also have an Underground 30 and it is loud. Has a Fender front end and a Vox power section. Pretty cool amp. I love Tony's designs one of the main reasons is his amps sound great at low volumes, you don't have to turn them up to get a sweet spot you just get a different sweet spot wherever your volume is set.

8. Scott_F

Scott_F Gold Supporting Member

underground 30 is what you need to try...

9. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

NO DOUBT! This is the amp you want, trust me as I'm in the same boat as you in terms of the tone you seek.

If you really want to do a UG30 up right, put a Scumback speaker in it and if you can spring for them, Mullards (across the board, OUCH!) and it is really an unbeatable amp.

10. GM1

GM1 Member

OK you got me interested which Scumback are you recomending?

The problem with doing all NOS on an UG30 is it will cost you about $800.00

11. Tag

The UG 30 is a SICK,SICK amp! It sounds every bit as good as the Cowtippers, just different. I just put in a call to Ken to see if I could order another UG 30. This one will be custom, as I already have a 3\10 combo. I want the EF86 in channel one with reverb and a little extra gain. (on par with say a DC 30) Channel two will be the regular UG 30 reverb circuit, and it will have an overall defeatable MV. Tony will not do it if he feels there is ANY compromise, so I have to wait for Ken to talk to Tony about it. Then get it in some kind of cool hardwood cab. How am I going to sleep? ;)

12. GM1

GM1 Member

So with the EF86 front end you would have a more traditional Vox AC30 tone?

13. Tag

Im not really sure! I "THINK" its a higher gain tube, and I am looking for the basic tone of the UG 30 with just more gain available. I do not want to lose the basic sound and feel of the UG 30. If I wanted a Vox clone, Tony would make me one. Thats not what I am looking for. Just a real flexable UG 30. For sheer sweetness of tone, the UG 30 is my all time favorite. To have that tone, with the available gain of a matchless DC 30, and the Bruno reverb??....I can only imagine. :)

14. GM1

GM1 Member

I think the EF86 is the original Vox design and has a darker tone to it compared to the later Vox AC30's. Talking with Ken I remeber him mentioning Tony has built some UG30s with an EF86 front end, and that it was somewhat darker.

15. phoenix

phoenix Member

Even though Tony packed them both with old tubes, the Cowtipper was a goner when I plugged in my UG 30. It'll be up for sale after the holidays. Got a few extra matched sets of old tubes to boot. It is my one channel 'desert island' choice. I am looking forward to the A-B with my AC-30. Chimey is a good word. :BEER
    [​IMG]

16. John55

John55 Member

I'll have to try the UG30, it sure sounds like something worth checking out. While I'm on the EL84 amp circuit, how would a Dr. Z Maz 38 compare to the UG30? I ask this only because I've owned a Maz 18 and found it nice, but really not as well suited to humbuckers as I'd like. That's the one thing any amp I buy would have to do....handle a LP with hot PAFs.

17. Tag

Go here http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=121826

The clip titled "Help the poor ug 30" is a Historic 59 RI LP straight into the UG 30. The clip titles "Bruno tone" is a 58 Historic LP straight in. The clip titled "PRS BLUES" is a PRS CU 22 into a TREX Mudhoney, then into the UG 30. The BRUNO UG 30 Funk clip is a Strat straight in.In the "Pop bop with an UG 30" clip, I click on and off a Fulldrive II near the end. If you like those tones, you will LOVE the UG 30. :AOK

18. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

Somewhat - definitely darker than you are used to with a vox, unless you crank the presence (cut) up. Lots more bottom end than any vox

Good OD, but I like the OD on the 12ax7 treble/bass side too
    UG30 OD has it all over the cows' IMHO. In fact the cows are all about clean. Both the CT22 I had and the CT45 don't break up real well. It is almost like plugging into the low sens input of a Fender. But, the cows have a sweetness that I have not heard in an old BF Fender

19. Tag

See if yours sounded like mine. My Cow 45 and 66 SR sounded exactly alike when cranked. My Cow 22 sounds better than my Vibrolux when both are cranked.

Go here again... http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=121826 Scroll down the page. There is a clip called "Cow22 nailed", and right under it, a clip called "Vibro nailed". You can compare the two. Both are the amps wide open. Under that is a clip called "UG 30 crunch". Thats the UG 30 about 3\4s volume. You can hear the massive amounts of gain compared to the Cowtippers.

20. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Well, the tubes ran me @ $650... I got a good source if interested. The Scumback I went with is the SA12H30-75. Believe me you won't do better.

Tag: I know you're a fan of the G12H30 in the UG30. I liked that speaker a lot too until I got the Scumback. Seriously you really do need to try it, the difference is significant. WAY sweeter highs and chime - it just sounds more 'mature' now...