Bruno Amp ??s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by John55, Dec 19, 2005.

1. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

Nope, never got that much OD.What guitar are you using? any pedals?

2. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

No pedals. That is straight into the amp with a PRS Custome 22. My Cowtipper 45 distorts every bit as much, but its LOUD as anything. (Just like the Super reverb) That is straight into G12H30 speakers. The UG 30 clip is into the Eminence 10s it came with. With the G12H30s, it overdrives even more. The "PRS BLUES" clip is the Ug 30 WITH a T Rex Mudhoney pedal. The guitar is in the single coil position. Its a killer combination!

3. Tag

I would love to try them sometime! My UG 30 is a 3\10 combo, but I have a 2\12 Bruno Cab with G1265s, a TwoRock 2\12 with celestion Blues now, and a 4\12 mesa cab with G12H30s.

4. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

The Maz is a good amp but not in the same ballpark as the Bruno.

The Balls however is. :D

www.ballsamps.com

Oh no Tag is gonna be lived. :jo

Balls M-18 2X12 Combo = extremely loud for an 18 watter

Massive Thump, Brilliant Cleans, no OD Pedal Dirty Solos.

Balls M-18 Head and 2x12 Cab = A home run

5. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Silver Supporting Member

I had an Underground 30, great amp. Beautiful cleans. Only downside is not much head room at all and very loud.
    I was very proud of it, took it to my friends house so he could hear it.
    He was impressed, then he brought out his '64 Fender Deluxe Reverb and it was all over. Needless to say, I now own that killer 64 Fender Deluxe Reverb and sold the UG.
    Im sure if I had sunk an additional chunk of change on tubes the UG would have stood up better, but the fender was an opportunity I couldnt pass up.
    If I had to do it again, I would try a different Bruno because of the headroom issue.

Moral of the story, see if you can try a couple first and pick the one that works best for you.

My .02 (Flame suit on)

6. Tag

Not at all! Use YOUR ears and decide.

Here is a clip of the Balls.

http://www.ballsamps.com/samples/trem_channel_blues.mp3

Here is my bedroom clip of the UG 30. (Second clip down from top)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=121826

Case closed. :D

7. Tag

I agree you have to try them for yourself! My UG 30 puts my 66 Super reverb, 66 Pro reverb, old bassman and Vibrolux reverb to shame. (The Super and bassman are sold because of it.) The Pro and Vibro I just keep for the vintage vibe, and they are the best two sounding Fenders I have ever played! I searched for YEARS before I found THIS Pro reverb!) Bottom left. I have the A/B box hooked up, and I do it all the time for friends. Not one has picked a Fender yet!
    I put clips up which IMO show this. If the Fenders sounded better, the Brunos would be gone. (Not really, because I would never have bought them. I A\Bd them first!) I LOVE Fenders! The HR Deville sounds killer, as does the Bassman RI, and almost ALL the vintage ones. To me, the Brunos just far exceed them.

[​IMG]

8. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Its all up to personal Taste and what you like.

As far as clips go me and Tag have had this disscusion before. I wont be buying any $400.00 bottles of Agave Juice based on what it Taste like through these little speakers hooked up to my PC. :NUTS

I do value Tags opinion though so he has some good points. :AOK

I havent listened to a Balls clip though have heard it through a Genuine set of G12H30's and I bought one. I think we all get excited about what we like but there are many choices out there. More than one to say the least.

Brunos are dang good amps.

As far as recording of Clips go let me please use an Example.

I have a guitar picker that I idolise that uses a paticular brand of Boteek Amps. His tone is to die for on the CD. It is to me as good as it gets. What does dumb me do. Go out and get one of those amps. What does amp sound like - nothing like the CD. I'm using same guitar , same amp and have plenty enuff good chops. Results = Tonal Arse. The worst sounding amp I've ever had. It does fit into the discription as advertised as being between this old Fender sound and that old Vox sound which just happens to be a sucking arse sound. Now this is just my 2 cents so take it for what its worth.

My Point is it sure sounds good on the clip (cd)!

9. katuna

katuna Silver Supporting Member

I just got a CT 45 head and, both through high headroom Two Rock 12-65 speakers and through H30's, I got plenty of overdrive by just turning it up to about 2 o'clock on the volume knob. Very cool, reasonably gritty, but still sweet overdrive. Mine has both the treble and mid boost switches and I like it best with them both on. I'm using a Les Paul Jr. (really a Koll, but...) and no pedal to get this. It is loud, but hey I like it that way.

10. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Silver Supporting Member

I just listened to that Balls clip - sounds like a good example of 18w tone.

There is something about 18watters tho' that just sounds a little TOO compressed/nasal where it get a bit cartoony for me... I know that is blasphemous to say so!!! Oh my! But I that is just my 2 cents... the Bruno is a far more versatile instrument.

11. Liquid Ranger

Liquid Ranger Silver Supporting Member

I have owned two UG 30's, both of which I loved ...strikes me as a mate of a great Tweed sound with that of a great Vox sound...but still unto itself.. yummy!! If it's BF tone and aprox headroom you are looking for however, the Cow's 35/45 are the way to go as they respond and thicken just like a good BF should...and more. The UG 30's definately give up serious goods pretty quickly( in comparison to the Cow's ) and in a sense they are decieving...lemmee explain....they do have a BF sparkle to them, lush tone yet do not possess the low and mid girth ( to my ear ) that a big bottle 6L6/ BF circuit would. If you can live with that onstage then the UG 30 is a wonderful take on ..like I said...Vox Meets Tweed, plenty of upper end, stringy complexity. The UG also get's LOUD quick before it REALLY breaks and you may choose to use an attenuator with it . B

12. GM1

GM1 Member

So I take it the SA12H30-75 is a 75 hrtz G12H30 type speaker?

13. Glowing Tubes

I think I just found a very special Deluxe Reverb to be honest. I really did love the UG 30.
    The abundant low end really was great with SC pickups.
    Think I'd like to try one of the cowtippers sometime.:AOK

RC

14. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Silver Supporting Member

Yes. :dude

15. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

Bob, you hit it square on the head

16. Tag

Richard,
    Were you using your UG 30 with that purple cab I bought from you, or did you have a combo? The reason I ask, is because the G1265 speakers are horrid. There is zero sparkle, and mud\flub low end. You should hear the difference between the G12H30s and those 65s. Its insane. Maybe you had a different cab, and this makes no difference, but I honestly think there is something wrong with those speakers. No matter what amp I plug into them, it sounds DOA. I need one more G12H30 to put in that cab and I am SET! :)

17. GM1

GM1 Member

Hey Tag

The 1265's probably will work best with the E Pro especially the lead channel, the Brunos...forget it.

18. John55

John55 Member

Tag,
    Just finished listening to some of your clips, very nice playing and the tone on all of them was excellent. The UG30 clips you mentioned really didn't show me the snarl and bark I want to hear, but the "UG30 Crunch" clip got me part of the way there. The single notes sounded very good, nice body to the notes and great sustain. The power chording wasn't as good as it sounded a bit too much like a buzz saw. That's a EL84 trait, IMO, and is why I wanted to stay away from the EL84s this time. Overall, I can tell the Brunos definitely produce some classy tone, especially for someone wanting to play clean like you are doing. Not sure the OD tones are what I'm after.

19. Glowing Tubes

Hey TAG,
    Sorry you didnt like those speakers, :(they sounded pretty great with my Guytron but I only tried them for a little while. Got the cab from GAT loaded that way and he seemed to like the G1265's too. I had been using my UG with G12H30's in another cab but it was closed back. I had tried it with several different cabs, always sounded good but in the end I sold it as it wasnt totally speaking to me as it does to you. The gear circle keeps on turning...
    Im running Scumbacks now which sound awesome!

RC