Bruno Cowtipper 22 Incoming!! Srv Freaks Look Here!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tag, May 19, 2005.

1. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

I went to Ultrasound Tuesday. I played a brand new Cowtipper 22 alongside my 45, as well as with a VHT 45, Matchless Chieftain, Marshall TSL, Marshall 600, Bogner Shiva, DR Z Maz Senior with verb, older UG 30 and older Cowtipper 45.

WHAT TONE!!!!!! Its the kind that makes you want to rip your cloths off and beat your head against a wall from pure joy!!!! YEEEHHAAA!!!!! :dude Its bottom end is HUGE and TIGHT. Even with my PRS Rosewood neck on the neck pup, it styed crisp and clear. In single coil mode, the cleans were crisp, the top end had that incredible Tony Bruno detail, with out ONE bit of harshness! Zip, Bagel, goose egg, zilch, Zero, none. :AOK

The amp is VERY different than the 45, while still staying in the Blackface arena. THIS is the amp the SRV heads NEED! It gives you the BEST blackface type cleans you can possibly imagine, and then turn it up, and THERE IT IS! Unlike the 45 which distorts like a Pro or Super reverb, the 22 gets that SWEET, BEAUTIFUL overdrive with no harsh tones at all. Crunch city!
    The reverb is.....one word....Bruno.
    That Bruno top end is magic. We were able to turn the treble up on the Cow and make it BRIGHTER Than the Chieftain, and still it sounded softer on the ears! How Bruno gets the tightness in the bass, the sweet mids, the detail in the high end, and no harshness is just incredible. All with that magical rubbery feel in the strings, that makes it CAKE to play dead clean. The mid and bright switches are voiced perfectly! Almost Dumble like with the mid switch on, and the bright switch just brings out more upper detail, with no harshness or overall change in the voice like the Fenders do.
    WHAT an amp! I ordered a 1\12 in White Tolex with Wheat grill cloth. THANKS KEN and Tony! :)

2. dave s

dave s Member

I'm looking for a smaller combo. Did it come with a price tag you care to mention?

thanks,

dave

3. Blueser

Blueser Member

Tag,

PLEASE keep your clothes on, but feel free to bang your head off the wall! :D

How does this amp differ from the tweedy pie? White tolex??? You should have done a cool hand rubbed custom wood cab. I am great at spending other peoples money! :D

We expect clips of it when you get it.

Enjoy,
    B

4. KLB

KLB Member

What speaker was in it?

5. Tony Foran

Tony Foran Member

That's quite an endorsement from Mr "I hate 6v6s". I'd still like to hear your opinion on a well tuned Jim Kelley.

6. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

What exactly has that to do with SRV?
    ANd don't tell me it sounds just like him, becuase 20 some watts don't project enough to even get into the same city as the ball park.

7. Tag

Hey Dave!
    I paid list price. (I think its $2,499, but Ill have to look). I pay full price. They do give me the NOS option since it is my fourth major purchase from them, and I have dragged many of my friends there, who have ended up buying amps. :) Ken and Gene are the best guys to deal with.

I warn you though, you may sell every other amp you have after getting one of these, and Bruno amps are 100% addicting.
    Each one sounds very different, and each is as great as the next! LOL!! It actually $ucks, because you cant figure out which one to buy first! What a money pit! Next I NEED a Tweedy pie 35!

8. Tag

LOL!! If I took my cloths off, Scott Lerner would NEVER stop chasing me around! :p

The Cow 22 is blackface based, but it is WAY different than a Deluxe reverb. It has FAR more bass, no nasal quality at ALL, and the usual softer topend. This is the ONLY 6V6 amp I have ever loved, and instantly! I feel bad, because I think many guys who have bought the COW 45, really wanted this amp instead. This is the one that distorts so beautifully. That being said, the TWEEDY PIE 35 distorts even better! It has less headroom though, and is voiced very differently. It does not have as much bottom, and is well...Tweed like!. Both unreal amps! :)

9. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

I got a UG30 from Ken and love it. But then I came across a UG22 (!) at UltraSound recently and wished I'd known about it before, more usable volumne... love that amp!

10. Tag

It was a G12H30. However, Ken told me that there is a new G1230 RI out, and that Gene LOVES them. I am going to let Tony put in the speaker he thinks sounds best. :)

11. Sam Evans

Sam Evans Compliance Officer Gold Supporting Member

Sounds great, Tag. Thanks for the heads-up.

12. Tag

Hey Ed!
    If you do not want me to tell you, Ill tell you anyway. ;)
    It sounds JUST like SRV. The cleans are like the Cow 45, and the breakup is pure sweet Fender Vibrolux or great Deluxe reverb like.
    Flip on the midboost, add a TS9 and you are there. The rest is in the fingers. I would LOVE to see you try one of these! Wait to hear that reverb! No wet dry rig needed. :dude

13. Tag

The ONLY 6V6 amp I have ever loved. I would NEVER have guessed it had 6V6s! Funny, from the same guy who makes the only EL34 amp I love the clean on. (Super 100, but the credit for that has to go to Dumble, its a clone)
    I would love to try a Kelley! Send me one please! :)

14. Tag

An UG 22 or Cowtipper 22?? I have never seen an UG 22! If there is one, I need to try it!

15. Tag

Hey Sam,
    I think my Fenders are going, and a Rottweiler will be coming up soon. :D Thats an amp that would fit well for me, because it sounds nothing like anything else I have.

16. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

well ship it to me already then! :)

Here's the deal SRV was norious ffor complaining that amps weren't loud enough.
    When he played the old THD Plexi, which is not a quiet amp he complaint about that.
    My point is that for SRV to be done convincingly there needs to be some air moved.
    Also a V-verb, V-lux or Deluxe won't fo the trick unless you add some high powered stuff. Like the marshall, or SSS or Dumbleland.
    Trust even though I don't sound like it I went through a pretty severe SRV phase.

17. jivebaby

jivebaby Member

I just picked up a used cowtipper 22 to go along with my custom 45 watt bruno. It came with amperex preamp tubes and RCA 6v6s :) I love the cowtipper, although I feel the cleans are better than the distorted tone. That may have something to do with the 6v6 tubes which I find to be a bit more harsh than others. That being said this is still the best combo amp I have ever bought. Reverb is unlike any other, which is good cause I never found a reverb I actually liked. It cleans up really well with just the guitars volume knob and it is loud and punchy when cranked. What is so amazing about tonys amps is the eq controls are useful and interactive. Like tag said you can cranck the treble and the tones are still usable without that terrible icepick sound. As far as pedals go it loves all my BJF pedals, my beano boost and the lovetone believe pedal. Its a great little bedroom, studio and small club amp. I can nail early smiths tones with it.

Mike

18. Tag

I never saw him live, :( so I am just going by what I hear on the records. This is the amp that does it. As you know, 22 watts is NOT quiet either. I was surprised at how little difference there was in total volume between the 22 and 45, but the 45 did have a lot more clean headroom before breaking up. I really never understood the power thing, as I would just use a PA and monitors. My Musicmann 50 watt 1\12 was way more power than I ever needed live, even in large and outdoor venues. I do not think I ever had the volume above 3 or 4 at the MOST! Thats with one power drummer who did not understand dynamics most of the time too. :mad: Mic it, forget it. :)

19. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

UG22!!! It's in room 'A' at UltraSound...

20. Sam Evans

Sam Evans Compliance Officer Gold Supporting Member

Head or combo? There's a 4x10 Rott at a dealer here in Austin. I've played it several times, and I love it. You may be able to get a good deal on it.