BRUNO COWTIPPER 22 OVERDRIVE....Clip too

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tag, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

The Bruno amps and the Cow 22 is just MY sound. Boy I love my Dumble style overdrive tones, but I am just way more comfortable with the Brunos tonality. Its a softer, and more controllable sound to me. I just love tube rectifiers and the feel that they give. Elastic!! The T.Rex mudhoney retains that sound. The same backing as the Fuchs clip, and I think my comfort shows in the phrasing. The tone is much more rounded, with far more bass.

Its the second clip down here, right under the Fuchs clip. Both great tones! Same guitar and speaker miced dead center. I hope the link works.
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=121826

2. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

thanks for the clips , Tag. I didn't expect to , but liked the Fuchs tone more. The CT22 w/pedal seemed like it didn't know what it was trying to be. I DO know that the CT's sound great w/ pedals, so in a sense you're preaching to the converted anyway. Have you ever tried a Cornish G2 with a CT?

3. Moods

Moods Supporting Member

I too liked the Fuchs clip better. I don't normally go for the Dumble/Ford thing but that amp/guitar setup has nice definition and character. Nice tone. I thought your playing sounded better on the Fuchs clip. Of course YMMV.

Thanks for sharing!

<M

4. Gary Shetler

Gary Shetler Guest

Tag,

You know very well that I really like my Bruno UG-30!! I think it's a great amp.

BUT ....

Your tone on the Fuchs clip is clear, defined and smooth as glass. When you play the two clips back-to-back it almost sounds like the CT is muffled.

The CT tone may be your favorite, but I would bet that 90% of those of us that listen will favor the Fuchs tone.

AND .... your playing is absolutely stunning on both of those clips!!

:dude

5. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

Yep.... the Bruno tone is good but your Fuchs tone is on a different level. OF course it should be said that I feel any time you put a pedal in front of an amp, no matter how well it takes pedals, the inherent tone and character of that amp is degraded. As for the Fuchs, it's been a long time since ANY amp has impressed me as much as the Fuch ODS. And most amazing is it's unbelievable versatility as many have seen now with the recent clips posted in several different styles. All I can say is it very well may be the only amp I would have if I could only have one!:eek: And given the ridiculous pile of gear in my music room that's saying a lot.

And Tag you sound good with no matter what rig your playing but the Fuchs is your best yet IMHO.

6. Tag

Thanks for listening guys! You guys are all gain freaks..LOL! The Fuchs clip has TONS of gain, the Cow is just a hint of bluesy type of gain...really two different animals. I am a clean fanatic as you know, and the Dumble style amps just do not have great cleans. They are pretty good, but not anywhere near the level of a good fender or even better, the Brunos. The Fuchs is a cascading gain amp, which just has a totally different feel. Dont get me wrong, I LOVE it! Its just I love the organic feel and clarity of the lower gain amps. That being said, my Fuchs is freaking incredible, and has me playing and approaching the guitar very differently. Ill have to post another clip. :) I have to mix it down first, but I played it for ole dog ears and he really liked it. :D

7. trisonic

trisonic Member

Well, I prefer the CT22.

The Fuchs track is too smooth for my taste - I like the attack of the Bruno better.
    Great playing on both Tag, but you sound a little "tense" somehow.....

Best, Pete.

8. Tag

Thats cool, because I am a very tense person. :) I will never sound relaxed, because I never am. I grind my teeth when I sleep and everything. :dude I just accept it now. Fighting it made me............... even more tense. :cool:

I like the Cow 22 more as well. It is now my favorite amp ever made in the history of the universe. :D That being said, DAMN that Fuchs is SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. trisonic

trisonic Member

You sound just like my brother.......my wife grinds her teeth too, aargh.

I like the Fuchs too - I just don't think that style of amp suits my playing at all, the Bruno has tremendous character and may be the best model he makes (from my viewpoint).

Best, Pete.

10. slide man

slide man Member

I like the Cow 22 Nailed best.

Slide Man

11. rkstarr

rkstarr Member

know what im sayin....
    great shi* lately

12. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

I agree with the Cow 22 Nailed thing. I AM a gain freak, so I thought that Fuchs clip was absolutely stunning (not gain freak like way-high-gain, but just a big fan of moderate OD/high OD). I usually don't go for clean tones very much, but my CT22 is killing me with awesome tones.

I've been learning "The Wind Cries Mary" all day, and I just kept playing through it over and over and over again. The CT22 just makes you want to play. It makes you want to keep those notes ringing, and it really rewards the right touch (sadly, the right touch is ever-elusive)...

How can you use pedals with this amp, man? Like someone else said, it's like putting ketchup on a $75 filet mignon.

13. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Member

Tag was that you playing on the Fuch's clip? I thought the phrasing on the CT clips sounded like you, based on your other clips I've heard...but I thought the phrasing on the Fuch's clips sounded different.

As far as the CT 22 clips...is that the max gain out of that amp, or did you have it dialed back any?

14. Tony Foran

Tony Foran Supporting Member

Hey Tag
    Sounds killer! What power tubes does it have?
    :D :D

15. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Hate to say it, dude....but, the Fuchs KILLS the Bruno, is this case.

Not even in the same ballaprk, really.

One sounds like an amp, with a pedal......the other sounds like a cohesive statement, tone-wise.

No doubt no one will change your mind, but seriously.........for that type of tone, you have IT with the Fuchs.

- Jim

16. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

I personally like the Fuchs tone better, but I have been digging that type of tone since I first heard Larry Carlton with the Crusaders 30 years ago.. However, it sounds as though you are MUCH more comfortable with the Bruno - regardless of tone differences.

The first few seconds of the Fuchs clip sounded as though you were trying to "find yourself" - and almost sounded as though you were tiptoe-ing around due to the amp. It took awhile before you found your groove and your playing really took off.

However, with the Bruno, it was obvious that the amp was much more in personal your tone wheelhouse. Your playing was more fluid and relaxed with the Bruno.

While I - and a few others apparently - dig the sound from your Fuchs, the more important issue is: Which amp do you like more? And I think you answered that question with your playing.

By the way, I am not a jazz cat, but I really enjoyed both clips. Nice choppage.

17. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

I am not a gain freak, and don't like fusion or RF tone at all. Still liked the Fuchs better in those clips.
    My Cornish G2 through a CT sounds really , really good, BUT nothing sounds good for low gain bluesy break up as an old amp turned up.

18. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Tag,

I think the CT 22 clips are horrible, you should get rid of that amp ASAP!! Call me.... ;)

19. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Tag,

I know it is the same guitar but are the pickups setting different? Sounds like a brigde pu on the Fuchs clips and a middle/both or neck setting on the CT clips.

20. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

the tones are pretty different, not in quality really, just that they are 2 different TYPES of tones. I don't think one really beats the other because it sounds like a different approach.The bruno is way less gain, softer attack, more lows. It also sounds like different pickup settings, the CT sounds like the neck or mostly neck, while the fuchs sounds like mostly if not all bridge. (my little mono internal computer speaker at low volume is not too revealing).
    I can say for sure your playing is better on the bruno clip, just much more confident and locked in, more developed ideas,etc. I think that tone is better for playing those longer lines with lots of 16th notes and be-bop inspired phrasing. With the gainier fuchs tone I want to hear more long tones, shorter lines, bends and swells. Just different types of sounds really, hard to say one is better or not.