Bruno Cowtipper 22--Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Ardis, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Ardis

Ardis Member

I've been considering Deluxe Reverb-style amps (1 X 12, 6V6, Fenderish tone) and the CT22 has risen to the top of the list. But $2500 is a lot of scratch (for a new one, that is). I'm certainly no stranger to spending more money on gear than I should (I've owned many a "boutique" amp), and I don't foresee stopping this sick habit anytime soon. But still.

So what do you guys think? What does the CT22 offer that other amps of its ilk don't? Or should I just come to my senses and get a DRRI (I had one in the past and it didn't sound half bad)?

Many thanks in advance for your input.

2. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

im gonna let Tag chime in here......

3. Ardis

Ardis Member

Yup. Looking forward to it.

4. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Check out the Tone King Imperial, does a great Deluxe Reverb tone. Knoffler uses one, along with a Komet.

5. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I have no experience with these amps but I've heard nothing but positive reviews. I'm sure you'd be happy with one.

However, if you find the price tag a little too much for your wallet, check out www.griesamps.com

Dave makes a 1x12 6V6 with reverb, bright switch, vol, treble, bass, mid and master for $1299

There's a sound clip on a thread here now. Look for Gries 20.

Good Luck. I can't imagine you'd be unhappy with either of these amps.

6. phoenix

phoenix Gold Supporting Member

I love my 22. Amazing reverb. The only reason I'm selling mine is I have old Fenders and a way freakier Bruno so it will never get the time. I love that he matched old tubes to make it come out exactly dialed to his ear. I cant quite put my finger on why his amps seem so well built to me, but it was immediate.

7. lv

lv Supporting Member

Compared to a Deluxe reverb...

Bigger low end. Smoother top. Nice feel.

I've played through DRRI and they don't sound bad at all. Toneking makes a nice amp as does Carr, and Allen. Lots of great choices for BF DR tones.

8. Ardis

Ardis Member

Ah, n.j., so I'm not the only one thinking about this. Many thanks to everyone here for the comments and suggestions. Keep'em coming.

9. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I haven't owned a CT22, but I have owned the Carr, ToneKing, and Allen versions, and all are very nice! The Allen Accomplice + ext cab with Cele Blue is a GREAT way to go!

10. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

In this one I am biased. I am a HUGE Fender fan, but I just do not like Deluxe reverbs or twin reverbs. If you want a deluxe reverb, step up a little, and get the Vibrolux reverb. I paid $750 for my SF Vibrolux R, and it is one of the best sounding Fender amps I have ever played. It actually has the best overdriven tone of any Fender I have heard. Now saying that, my Bruno Cow 22 still sounds better. just as Lou stated. Bigger and tighter bottom, sweeter top end, and a better reverb. Is it worth 2-2.5 times the price? For me, yes it is. Does it sound 2.5 times better? No way. But it DOES sound better! It also feels better, which is very important to me. I am not a big 6V6 guy, but this one I love. It is not as huge sounding as the Cow 45, but I guess that is to be expected. It is also not as clean, even at very low volumes. The 6V6s always have that slight fuzziness on the top of the note compared to a 6L6 amp. I guess thats what makes them sound a bit "sweeter". I have played the Tonekings and Carrs as well, and they are nice too, but I would take a Fender over them.

I say "pony" up the green, grab the "bull" by the horns, and order the Cow!

:dude VERY GOOD VERY GOOD VERY GOOD!!!:dude

11. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

+1

If you like smoooooth, the Cow is the way to go. If you like the edge of a Fender for something like surf or funk or rootsier rock, I don't think you can beat a Fender.

12. Ardis

Ardis Member

All very informative comments. Thanks to everyone! Question: Are the size and weight of the CT22 1X12 about the same as those of the Deluxe Reverb (about 40 pounds, about 24 inches wide)?

13. Jerrod

Bruno is bigger and heavier.

14. mprvise

mprvise Member

About 40lbs, 24 and 3/4 inches wide. I'll just echo what others have said here - the CT22 is like the sweetest DR you've ever played. I run mine anywhere from 1:00 to dimed and it just sounds fantastic. I'm quite sure there are other amps (some mentioned in this thread) that are 90% of the CT22 - you pay a lot for that extra 10% but to me it was worth it. :AOK

15. Aint Life Hell?

Aint Life Hell? Member

First: I need to mention that I played a CT22 once and it was great little amp, sounded AMAZING.
    Second: Ken at Ultrasound is seriously generous with his time and a pleasure to deal with. I spoke with him at length this weekend and really appreciated his demeanor very much. Mucho proffessional.
    -MG

16. phoenix

phoenix Gold Supporting Member

Ken picked out the walnut and basketweave I went with on my UG30.

17. davros

davros Member

I have a CT22.

I describe it as having a 'rolls royce' of a tone - big, rich and smooth. As Tag says, it has a big bottom end and a very sweet top end. The reverb is excellent. The breakup is very smooth.

It loves the RC Booster and Lovepedal Eternity I use with it.

If you can afford one and the tone as several of us have described is what you're after, I would say go for it - I doubt you will be disappointed.

18. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

Another CT22 owner chiming in. It's amazing. Mine is voiced to stay clean pretty much all the way up. It's absolutely heavenly to play/listen to.

19. Jerrod

For what it's worth, while the Cow is cool, I kept my BF DR. Different strokes.

20. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Any clips of both A/Bd?

My 66 Super reverb is gone, my 66 Pro revreb never gets played, and neither does my Vibrolux. I keep them around just to show how much better the new Brunos sound. :p