Bruno CowTipper 45

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JackButler, Feb 1, 2008.

1. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

Ok guys, debating a CT 45, older model.
    Already have TAG's input!
    I had a UG30 and just didn't like it. I know, I know they are different. THE UG was nice, but I just didn't "get it". NOt for that $ at least. PLus it didn't have enough girth. I love big iron and huge lows.

I love that big BF clean tone. COuld care less about gain, but on the edge fo gain si nice, must take OD well.
    Tones I want in my head for this amp are chewy and thick.
    Thing is, I am also debating a '65 (real) Twin that sounds great but needs some work, it is $1800. To me the Twin is what I am seeking for this tone.

Soooo, which one ya think? WOuld the Bruno actually possibly be better? I don't want as good, I want better if that's possible. From my reading the Bruno might be thicker overall so I'm on the fence here.

I know, so subjective, just looking for your opinions to to tip the scales for me guys.

2. johnzias

johnzias Member

The Bruno might arguably have a bit more sonic dimension and better reverb. The Twin will still clean its clock where clean power is concerned. Both have great lows. IMO the CT45, though it may have a Blackface aesthetic to an extent, is really its own thing.

3. pjrhd28

pjrhd28 Silver Supporting Member

Big iron, low lows, and blackface cleans......

Well, you could give Smitty at Blueverb a call, but from what I understand, the wait is about 3 months.

MAybe a Vibro King???

4. JackButler

Yeah, I am looking for a VK as well.
    But, just looking for inout on the Cow. No bright switch, but I prefer darker tones anyway. Also, I never use verb, so that is not a concern either.

5. LVC

LVC Senior Member

Bruno CT
    Pure 64 Mean Street (I own this amp)
    Headstrong King Reverb

Also another I would check out (I am looking forward to playing one real soon) is the new Clean Machine from Fuchs ---

I think he is going to put out 75, 100 and 150 versions. I do not think it is available yet.

6. JackButler

No 6v6, just could never bond with them. I like the big lows.

7. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

I just played a Cowtipper 35 next to a mid 60s Blacface twin, and IMO, the Cowtipper ate it up, although of course a twin is going to have WAY more volume. It is also a much stiffer feel as it has a SS rectifier. bruno also makes a Cowtipper 90 that is line with the fender. Also take into consideratioon altghough I am a Fender freak, I have never loved the twins or deluxes. My least two favorite blackface amps. I was in a dealer a few weeks back who had all kinds of high end gear in stock, and lots of great sounding fender style amps, but the Cowtipper 35 was my favorite. Believe it or not, a "Pro tube" series Pro reverb was my second favorite amp there for cleans, and IMO, sounded better than any boutique there other than the Bruno. Cost? $650!!! I had it right next to some Carrs and a some Tonekings, and I liked the Fender more.

8. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

The CT 45 has great tones, just as you've described. It's somewhere in the TR zone (my point of reference being early 70s SF, which sound so good), but with a slightly softer, darker edge. BIG sounds. BIG lows. Were it not for the cost and weight, I'd probably have one now.

9. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

To the OP: I went through a similar dilemma just a few weeks ago. I was looking for a clean machine, but an amp that would give some breakup for pedals as well. I tried Pro Reverbs, a BrownFace Pro, a Twin RI, Victoria and Fender Bassman, and some Boogies.

I had the chance to buy a Cow90, but it wasn't local so I could not try it out. For the big cleans the Twin smashed all the other amps, but of course I couldn't get any breakup out of it at a reasonable volume. The Cow90 will most likely deliver the same types of tone as a Twin. You'll get your huge clean tone, but that's all you'll get.

From my experience, those of us that want BIG CLEAN SOUNDS need to have big iron- as you've stated. It seems unlikely (to me) that the Cow45 will give you the big sounding cleans you desire. It seems you really need to have a 4 6L6 amp, with big trannies to get BIG CLEAN tone.

Now a twist:
    So what did I end up buying to satisfy my desire for an amp with big cleans, and the option of breakup for pedals?

This may come as a surprise. I bought a Matchless HC-30 and matching 1x12 Matchless cab (G12H). I know I was damn surprised. A local dealer happened to have a used one so I checked it on a whim. I was blown away. Seriously. I thought there was no way an EL84 amp was going to deliver the BIG CLEAN sound I was after. But I was mistaken.

This Matchless setup has louder cleans than the Pro Reverbs, Pro, and the Bassmans I tried. Only the 100w Boogies and Twin had louder cleans. The advantage for the Matchless is that it will do the breakup sounds to make an excellent platform for pedals. Also get this- the triode channel (eq side) can actually be dialed in for BF type sounds. You can dial in the classic BF mid scooped, big bottom, bright top tones.

So there you have it. I hope this helps you out, because it seems we have similar desires in amps right now. Let me know if you have any questions!

10. Tag

Very hard to believe, but whatever works for you! My Matchless DC 30s bottom end turned to complete mush any time you tried to get loud cleans at all. as a matter of fact, ALL Matchless amps do. (That I have played) My Bruno UG 30 could do much better, and a Cowtipper 45 SLAYS that in terms of loud cleans.

11. JackButler

Thanks for the info guys.
    I might just keep my Two Rock.
    I just wish I had liked the UG30 better when I had it, I was basically just let down.

12. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

The ONLY way for you to know what is "better" is to try for yourself. "Better" is a very subjective term.

FWIW, I owned a Bruno CT35 Pro II 1x12. It did the 'big clean' thing VERY well! So I would only image that the higher wattage and bigger iron CT45 would have even more clean headroom, and sound even bigger using a 2x12 cab.

Also, FWIW, I am using a 4x6V6 Tone King Meteor II 1x12, and it does the BF Fender clean thing (and with a bit of hair using humbuckers) extremely well for my pruposes.

13. gweeterman1

gweeterman1 Supporting Member

oh come on! you know you want to do it! call me.
    peace, courtney:roll:Spank:dude:roll

14. GDking

GDking Member

I like my Cowtipper 45 with pedals and the cleans are warm and huge I really like them.

I do not mind cleans on a twin so much however with pedals, I find that the twins end up sounding like that metallic kind of lead tone, think the beginning of "house party" by J Geils I just do not like it.

The CT45 just sounds awesome and can really let your pedals shine a lot more. With a TIM in front of it and a honey bee I can go from Keef to awesome classic rock cranked tones or add a higher gain pedal to that and get the endless sustain leads.

Shut it all off and I get fantastic, loud, over the mix clean single note passages at stage volume.

15. JackButler

Must resist temptation. must resist...

16. Tag

I agree with this. My cowtipper 45 kills with pedals, and is LOUD. WAY louder than my 35.

17. johnzias

johnzias Member

I love my CT45 as well, but I don't find it to be that loud. In fact my BF Pro Reverb is considerably louder. I must be doing too many loud gigs, and they're finally getting to me, LOL!:)

18. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

Scott, when I sold you the UG30 I also had, and still have a CT45. I would not say that the CT sounds thicker. They both have pretty tight bass, but the UG had a fatter tone. The CT sounds heavenly with my pedals.

Favorites are Eternity or Mo'd or Zendrive into Boss DD2. You can stack a Timmy for some extra goodness. I can't say I've heard a better tone anywhere than with these combinations.

Unfortunately, it doesn't inspire me to play more. It's inspires me to search this site for more great pedals to play through this amp :AOK

19. lv

lv Supporting Member

I love Tony's amps, but you've said it all right here. Get the twin. If you want Bruno's version of a twin, look at the 90, imo the 45 is not going to do it.

Also, to my ears the Cow is much thicker sounding than the ug30 when played clean through g12h30s.