BRUNO COWTIPPER vs 1966 FENDER PRO REVERB

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tag, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

As most know, I am a blackface Fender and clean tone fanatic. I still own what to me are the best sounding vintage Fender amps. An all original (Yep, still does not need a cap job!) 1965-66 Pro reverb, and an early 70s Vibroluxe reverb. I sold my 66 Super reverb because it just could not stand up to these two.

Well, I have not been playing much lately, and yesterday a good friend and player stopped by to hang a little and play some amps! I hooked up my well used A/B box, and he did some serious playing! For once, I mainly sat and listened, and adjusted the amps as he played. We did this straight in and with a Fulldrive II. Bottom line, the Bruno amps (all three, Cowtipper 22, 45 and UG 30) all sounded FAR superior than the best Fender has ever offered in this style. The Fenders KILLED on their own, and let me tell you, I have played and or heard almost every boutique in this style out there. I have preferred the Fenders EVERY time. Not to the Brunos. These amps truly live up to the word "Boutique". They out performed the Fenders in EVERY area. They are richer, warmer, FAR more complex, and the biggest thing is the DEPTH of sound. The 3D quality of these amps is like nothing you have ever heard. Dialing in the closest sound between the Fenders and Brunos, then hitting the A/B box (switching from fender to Bruno) is a mind altering experience! How can something sound that much better than a GREAT tone? It is like you are kicking in some kind of 3D enhancer! On top of that, you get a FAR better feel, and it just makes you play better. None of that "You really have to have your technique together, because this amp will expose you" type of nonsense. They are just very forgiving amps. I have played and or owned the best from Victoria, Carr,Toneking, TwoRock, Fuchs, Blockhead, Matchless,Badcat,Komet, DrZ, Dumble, Trainwreck, Maven Peal, and on and on and on. I have preferred Fenders better cleans to ALL of them. Not with the Brunos! They far surpasses even the best Fenders.

Tony Bruno should be spelled Tone-y Bruno. :dude

VERY GOOD VERY GOOD!

2. n.j.

n.j. Member

Tag, I'm shocked (SHOCKED! :AOK) that you dig on the Brunos. But, I picked up a CT22 a few months ago after trying every BF Fender I could find in town, and the Bruno sounded better to me too. I kept my '64 Super, because they're different beasts, but yes, the Bruno kills. Maybe someday I'll pick up a CT45 2x12", but I'm happy for now.

3. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Tag,
    Which was closest in volume to the Pro?

4. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Tag... I believe you, *however* I have yet to hear soundclips that back up this claim. Now, granted, Albert Collins would sound great through a Pignose, but I have yet to hear a Bruno that sounded as great as Collins sound, or Muddy Waters sound, or SRV's modded Super Reverb sound etc etc yadda yadda

5. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

Tag,

We have to stop those murderous, blood hungry Bruno amps of yours before they "kill" or "eat" something again.

Congrats on finding the amps that work for you, now back to my Tweeds. As you know, I'm not into that squeaky clean, icepick, reverb drenched "surfin" tone.:AOK I prefer my cleans to have hair on them and be smooth and rounded off on the highs.

6. notpetrucci

notpetrucci Member

Anyone ever toss a CT on a 410?

-JA

7. Tag

That is a VERY easy question to answer.

You have never heard any of them through a Bruno. Yes, they would have sounded THAT much better.

8. Tag

The UG 30, which means the Cowtipper 35 would be the one. I do not own one of those yet, but I will!
    :dude

9. Tag

Just wait until you try a Bruno tweedy pie 35!!!! That may be the best sounding Bruno I have heard, but for my style, there is not enough headroom. I will own one of them too however. :AOK

10. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Evidently THEY didn't think so.... Collins and SRV were notorious tone freaks and gear-heads, and didn't choose a Bruno

11. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I'm sure that has nothing to do with the fact that Tony wasn't building amps when these guys were around... ;)

12. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Tony wasn't building in the late 80's? Oh, OK, well I must be mistaken then

13. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Since we're re-treading ground...

Brunos kill when you're looking for a "richer, fatter" sound.
    Fenders kill when you're looking for more bite, or maybe a little rawer tone.

YMMV

14. anyone

anyone Member

15. bluesbreaker59

Sorry, but if SRV was around today, I really think he'd be a Bruno guy. Of course we'll never know, that's just my speculation. I think he would've got bit by the boutique bug and got a few Vickys or Clarks and probably a Bruno to do the BF thing, again purely speculation.

Albert Collins, I seriously doubt he would've changed. That man liked to hurt people with that ******** piercing treble and splashy verb tone that you can only get from a Tele plugged into a BF or SF.

16. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Well, he certainly loved gear of all kinds and especially amps. He was already a Dumble guy...

that said, and to my previous point. I have yet to hear a Soundclip or Pro recording that represents Bruno's reputation of "greatness"

17. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Tag,
    Have you heard a CT35? I had a 45 and it was a bit too loud (I liked it on 2:00).

My Vibrolux and Pro Reverb sound great in a band format, BTW. The frequencies just fit. I found the Brunos to sound killer, even better when playing alone, but seemed to not stand out as well in a mix. I did not realize it until I took both to a gig and the Fenders just fit better. Just my 2 cents.

However, I've always wanted to try a CT35 with a mid switch.

18. bluesbreaker59

But I do "smell what you're stepping in"... Most get sick of the constant Bruno love of Tag, (like me), but hey the guy is happy, and likes his gear, just wished he could "tone down" a bit from time to time, after all no one likes urine stained corn flakes...

19. Tag

Lets make it simple... I would buy a Fender over a Bruno if I wanted an amp that was thinner, more 2D than 3D, more harsh on the ears, flubbier in the bass, and had a reverb that sat behind the note instead of surrounding it. :D Oh yea, also if you were in a band where everyone tried to be the loudest and drown each other out, no one understood dynamics, and you needed the amp with the most icepick highs, the fender may fair a bit better. Heck, in that case I would buy a Marshall and be done with it! LOL! :AOK

20. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Glad to hear your enthusiasm, Tag.

Have you ever played a Tamerlane Circa '63? I'd be curious to hear your (or anyone else's) comments on it.

- Thom