Bruno CT 22 questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by AJ Love, Feb 16, 2006.

1. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

What does the Bruno CT 22 112 combo weigh? Is this amp plenty loud enough for a loud blues band? Best speaker for SRV type blues tones?

Thanks in advance....

2. mprvise

mprvise Member

Not sure of the exact weight but I would guess it's somewhere between 40lbs and 50lbs, probably closer to 40. I'm a skinny ass dude and have no problems carrying it. For comparison purposes I gave up carrying my Matchless JJ-30 (70lbs) to gigs after hurting my back twice.

As far as the volume it really depends on the band. I use mine for small to medium club gigs with no problem running the volume at about 2:30 - 3:00. At that volume the tone is pretty dirty with the guitar volume all the way up. For larger/louder club gigs I bring a 50W amp.

My CT22 came with a G12H and it sounds great to my ears (and the ears of all who've tried it). The overall tone of the amp is Deluxe, but like the best Deluxe you've ever heard. Not sure if SRV ever used a Deluxe.

3. mprvise

mprvise Member

Forgot to mention the other guitar player on my current regular gig uses a BF Vibroverb. He can easily overpower the little Bruno if things get rowdy.

4. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

I'm not in a band, so I can't answer that question.

However, it's a light amp. It's probably in the 40-45lb. range. I'm 6'2", 150 lbs. of skin and bones and I can pick it up with one hand with no problems or even straining. Good handle, too.

Oh, and it sounds killer. I was playing around with it tonight with my Suhr doing jazz chordal stuff... awesome, fat, warm clean tone (but still sparkly!). AMAZING amp.

5. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Thanks much for your responses. The Bruno CT 22 has bypassed the Fuchs ODS/TDS amps on my GAS list because of it's portability and "Fender from Heaven" tones... hopefully if I save my pennies right I'll have one by summer

(not to say I won't someday save up for a Fuchs, also!)

6. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

The amp is PLENTY loud enough, as long as you do not mind it breaking up. You can roll down your guitars volume to clean it up, but it will not do REAL loud and clean. What a friggin SWEET SWEET amp!!! Get it with at least the bright switch. The mid switch I rarely use, but its still cool once in a while. Also, the G12H30 speaker is PERFECT for it. VERY VERY VERY GOOD!! :dude :dude :dude

7. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Price is subjective, but to me it is. Right off the bat, the Allen uses a two spring reverb, Bruno uses the 4 spring. Some one posted clips of the old flame, I have them somewhere Im sure. It sounded nice, but nothing special to me. On top of that, the allen is twice the price of my DeVille, which I prefer over the clones I have played costing 3-4-5 times more.

8. lv

lv Supporting Member

I owned an older CT22 and also had a couple Old Flames. The Bruno is just a bigger sounding amp, with a smoother top end. When played next to each other, the Bruno makes lots of amps sound small - includinga Fender Vibroverb Reissue w/ 15" speaker. Get the bright switch, the amp has very little sparkle without it.

9. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

thanks Tag! Thank you Lou... time to start saving pennies now... I'm thinkin' a Lentz Tele into a Bruno CT 22 will be all about taking that Vintage vibe and tone well into the 21st Century and beyond...

10. jivebaby

jivebaby Member

I would consider the cowtipper 35 or 45 for a loud blues band if you want loud cleans. I run a custom 45 watt bruno for my base clean tone and then add pedals for dirt sounds. Easier to get the volumes right with this setup. My custom bruno has a flatter eq than the standard cowtipper series. I told tony to build me a lower gain underground 45.

Also, dont worry about the treble switch if you see a cowtiper used without it, just run a beano boost or some other treble boost. The Brunos seem to love pedals.

Mike

11. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

I've developed quite a bit of CT 22 gas, thanks in part to this forum. Has anyone compared it with the Fargen Blackbird?