Bruno Customer Service - Personal Experiences

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by zoooombiex, Mar 12, 2008.

1. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I'll bet that thing had tone for days.:D

2. voodoosound

voodoosound Funk & Grooven member Silver Supporting Member

(quote) I honestly didn't want to piss in Tony's beer by saying my Bruno sounded like ass but maybe I should have. I think a lot of what Gene said is total BS and is just an excuse to get the amp done in a timely manner. BUT with that said I've seen other gut shots of Bruno's and they looked just fine.......mine was the worst I've ever seen. (quote)

Just curious did it sound like "ass" before you opened it or did you open it and realize then that it sounded like "ass". I have to wonder if it looked nice and pretty inside if it might have sounded better to you. I see no issue with the amp. It is a bit sloppy but like another poster said take a look in a Dumble.

I tend to not worry about what my amps look like but rather what they sound like. But thats just me.

3. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Member

Yeah... you haven't seen horrible until you've cracked open a 60s Gibson amp. What a rat's nest! LOL!

4. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

I bought a used Bruno and Tony upgraded it to recent specs for a reduced fee, and was very very nice.
    Regarding the looks on the inside, I trust Gene and Ken (a friend for 33 years), and I listen to my Bruno, I don't look inside it. I know my wife is perfect for me and beautiful on the outside. I have no need to look at her MRI results for kicks.

5. BrentSP

BrentSP Supporting Member

Oh yeah that was da best dang sounding amp right dare but as soon as I pulled dem chassy the tone wit to hell......neva could fig that out. :rolleyes:

1) Bought the amp (actually got it in a trade)
    2) Amp sounds bad
    3) Pulled the chassis to see what was going on
    4) IMO it looked like someone other than Bruno got in the amp because it looked hideous.
    5) Emailed Ultrasound and Tony with a pic
    6) Gene from Ultrasound basically defends Tony's work confirming that my amp came that way from the factory
    7) Sold the amp

Its really not that hard to understand. Zooom asked for personal experiences and I did just that.

;)

6. quinnamps

quinnamps Member

This is not my experience with Dumble circuits. They are tied, bundled, and neatly routed. Many wires around the side of the chassis. Can't speak for Bruno amps but the Dumbles I have seen have always been very clean and tidy with very very few and very early exceptions.

Electrical tape?....:worried

7. studiodunn

studiodunn Gold Supporting Member

Ewww, well I can honestly say i wasn't expecting that.

I don't guess that pic will make it into the amp guts appreciation thread.

[​IMG]

8. voodoosound

Not all of them, especially the early ones.;)

9. BrentSP

So as long as they look beautiful but don't have a good heart, soul or brain its all good? Bad analogy bro.....but I know what you mean.

10. voodoosound

Maybe it would have been better just to say you didn't like the tone of the amp rather than come on here as a builder yourself and put down another reputable builders amp. Do you know for a fact that the amp had never seen someone elses iron? Did you try tube swaps? Being a builder I'm sure you know tube experimentation is key sometimes in these simple circuits. While I can understand you not liking the way the amp sounds surely "ass" is not very descriptive and really makes no sense.

11. quinnamps

quinnamps Member

Is that not what I said?

Picture worth a thousand words.

Here is a very early OD built into a deluxe chassis. Hella ugly...

[​IMG]

Here is a little later but still very early. Nice and clean, bundled, tidy, routed, many against chassis edge.

[​IMG]

So I stand by what I said.
    With exception of a very, very few and very early exceptions Dumble amps are clean and tidy.
    Also it was said the GREAT Dumbles amps do not have such clean and tidy lead dress.
    The first picture is a very early and very ugly amp and by all accounts is not so great! The second only a few years later perhaps and very very very clean.
    Anyway not dissing the Brunos build but I can and do take exception to saying it looks that way because Dumble did it that way.
    He did it that way maybe less than one dozen times some nearly or more than 40 years ago. Therefore I do not see the connection or validity of that claim.

12. BrentSP

It wasn't a tube issue, I tried that also. Do I know for a fact that someone else didn't get into it? That was my whole reason for emailing Tony and Ultrasound with a pic of the insides because I was SURE that someone else had done this before me. I figured a $3000 amp wouldn't look like this plus the amp just sounded stale and bloaty.

You read the reply that Gene sent me right? He saw the pic and in my email I told him that I thought maybe someone before me messed with the amp and if he could tell me what he thought. From the reply it looks like it came that way from Tony's shop........ but Gene was very polite about it, never did hear from Tony though. Honestly I think mine was just a hurry up, rushed amp that got over looked because like I said I've seen other bruno insides and they didn't look this bad.

13. BrentSP

See not all Bruno's were as bad as mine. I think Bruno makes a killer amp....honestly because I've played his CT and UG30 and loved them both but my experience with the LM100 was different.

[​IMG][​IMG]

14. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Well Duh - You probably have spent $40k in amps over the last 5 years. I guess you *WOULD* get persona service. ;)

15. riffmeister

riffmeister Member

CT35 Pro II was clean inside, too:

[​IMG]

Also a very low noise floor. And with no problems requiring a service call. :)

16. big e

big e Member

I bought a used Ug30 in the late nineties. It had an issue. This was pre Ultrasound or early into their relationship. After several attempts I talked with tony explained the problem. Ship the amp to him (my expense) he put new preamp tubes in it and said it was fixed charged me a few hundred bucks, a few days later I got it back again, had the same problem in less than an hour. I returned it a second time (my expense) and he changed the tranny, no charge this time. It worked fine from then on. I got the idea that he wasn't really diagnosing the problem, it was faster/cheaper to change parts until the problem was resolved. Guess that makes sense, just think that had he tested the amp the first time it wouldn't have taken a second trip to get it right. By contrast Greg Germino is a true superstar, answering emails unually within hours, sending parts to customers - sometimes at no charge, offering solutions, giving advise. Not slamming Tony, just have to say that my experience with Greg couldn't be better.

17. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Jack,
    I see the wink so I take it you are joking, but in case you are not, at the time of my purchase, I had a HR Deville, Bassman and E.Pro. The only amps I purchased other than a PV Classic 30 in a 10 year span. I went to Ultra and played all the boutiques they have, and the Brunos were the only amps that sounded better than my Fenders. To this day, other than the Dumble clones which are very tone specific, the Brunos are the only boutique amps that sound better than the major players production amps.

Unfortunately for the Leadman owner, there was most likely some kind of problem with that amp. I have played Leadmans several times, and as recently as 3 weeks ago. Those amps SMOKE if you are into high gain amps. WICKED overdrive tones in the Soldano family, but clearer and more articulate, with the same characteristics of all Bruno amps. I have played Brunos next to pretty much every top boutique builders amps spoken about on these forums, and they have never failed to sound at LEAST as good as anyones amps. Almost always better. For that reason, I totally buy into the Genes letter, as I have found on my own how great these amps sound. I own Brunos for one reason, they are the best sounding amps you can buy.

18. big e

big e Member

Tag -Some people only like chocolate ice cream but many of us like chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, peach, mint-chocolate chip........................:)

19. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

:confused: I dont like Ice cream at all.

20. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

Thanks for all the helpful responses. Most of them have been just what I was hoping for.

BTW, if you have an issue with someone's post you can always PM them instead of clogging up the thread. Thanks.