Bruno UG-30 Appreciation

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fuzzyguitars, Jan 16, 2008.

1. fuzzyguitars

fuzzyguitars Supporting Member

I recently got my Bruno UG 30 back from Tony.

He and Ken were great to work with. Basically they rebuilt my amp after a shipping incident.

I plugged into it and was blown away by how great it sounded.

It sounded like a the best ac-30 you had ever heard that had been juiced up with steroids.

It has chime and sparkle that was very pleasing without any hint of harshness. 3D harmonic complexity. Crunches up very nicely and cleans up well with the volume knob.

Sounds like God on the single coil neck pickup!

Lets put it this way. I live for high gain, but this amp sounds so sweet and plays and feels so good clean that I didnt even stomp on an overdrive for about 45 minutes!

Lets talk reverb. Very nice! SOunds a lot like my old boss rv-2!

Takes pedals like a champ. Barber Burn Unit sounds very Dumbley through it as is my fave. the DD makes it growl like a plexi too.

I played it through a 3/4 OS Bogner cab loaded with CL-80 and EVM 12L. I tell ya, you gotta have a speaker that can handle bass, because it has tons!

2. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!! maybe the best all around amp ever made IMO. WHAT tones!!! :eek: If you want an unreal Dumble flavor with that amp, I mean almost DEAD on with an actual Dumble, pick up an Ethos pedal. INSANE!!!
    :BEER

3. fuzzyguitars

fuzzyguitars Supporting Member

where is the bruno love?

4. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Supporting Member

Your timing is good...just got through with my daily amp circulation...today's choice was the UG30...had a blast.

Usually I play it without pedals, but today I thoroughly got into using a Fulltone OCD with it. It was an experiment to see how good I could get the amp to sound at 9 o'clock volume as opposed to the normal level I use without pedals (3 o'clock). It was an astounding success! So perhaps I'll start using the OCD more since normally at 3 o'clock kit's just a tad loud in my studio/office.

Anyhow...yes

very 3d, reminds me of the cleans on my old TR CR Sig
    killer edge tones, as Ken always promised me
    and with the OCD, this thing cranks out the led zeppel and ac/dc
    and when you roll back from those tones, you still can get nice sounding clean tones.

Loving this amp....

5. bluessyndicate

There was alot of UG30 love a month or two ago..maybe everyone is still enjoying the warm afterglow....

6. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

One of the top 3 amps in the world, and dumble and trainwreck are sorta unavailable.

7. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

I love this amp!! Got a custom one with an EF86 preamp on one channel...I doubt I'll ever get rid of it. It is sweet!!

8. lakesider

lakesider Member

I bought an UG 30 used about 9 years ago after playing one at a benefit show for a musician who had no health insurance at the Mercury Lounge in NYC. Amps for the show were provided by Tony Bruno.

It was the greatest amp I ever heard..... till it blew up.

After it blew up I tried to contact Bruno and was directed to his main rep Gene at Ultra Sound in NYC who told me that Tony Bruno's minimum bench charge for repairs was $500.

$500? To repair a Bruno?

Why the high min. charge I asked?

He said "You bought it used. Tony never made any money from you"

I bought the amp from the original owner.

Gene repeated "So what. Tony never made any money from you".

I was not looking for "warranty repairs" or anything for free. I just wanted to have this special amp repaired because I really enjoyed playing it. I was very willing to pay for the repair. I've never heard of a $500 min bench charge.

After the attitude and the "So what, it's $500 to have Tony look at it" I dumped the amp.

9. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

10. bluessyndicate

I would have enlisted the original owner to help out somehow.

It's a tough call, $500 seems ridiculous, and many amp builders would have done it for free for the pride of keeping their stuff working....on the other hand if you are a business man and your scarce resource is time, and time is money and you can either spend an hour building a waiting customer an amp, or give repair to someone that never did business with you, I guess you have to make the call. That kind of charge will certainly weed out the real problems from the people wanting a once over. But it sure does seem like an excessive charge.

11. The Pup

That policy turns my stomach...I'm selling my Bruno in protest and ultimate support of the dissuaded proletariat!

12. GDking

GDking Member

The caveat to that is that you are directly fostering this dilemma on your buyers once you sell it to them.

You better hang on to them :)

13. The Pup

Blimey!

14. lv

lv Supporting Member

Sounds exaggerated to me. Sorry, but I find it hard to believe this exact exchange took place, perhaps you forgot what was said 9 years ago. ;)

15. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

Fuzzy...Awesome! So glad to hear she is back with ya!

16. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

Agreed....I'd be inclined to want to hear that from Ken/Gene myself. Ken shows up here occasionally, maybe he can comment?

17. Tag

I would LOVE to hear one of those!
    :drool

I am going to take a trip to Ultrasound soon and maybe they will have one!

18. Tag

Agree. And why do these posters always have such low post counts? Bruno put a MV on someones amp here who bought it used for something like $110.00, and offered to Upgrade mine (Bought used) for around 100 bucks as well way back when I had only 1 Bruno. If he was really back ordered at the time, it MAY make sense to me. However, on top of that, that does NOT sound like Gene at ALL.

19. lv

lv Supporting Member

Exactly. "Tony never made any money from you" Come on.

I think it is pretty well documented that Tony isn't crazy about working on amps bought used, but $500 and what Gene supposedly said just sounds like bs.

20. lakesider

lakesider Member

I'm sorry I don't have lots of posts on this board.
    I do have a pretty good reputation as a professional musician, studio owner and record producer.

I stand by what I said about my experience w the Underground 30 and Ultrasound.

and I'll sign this note with my name.

Eric Ambel