Bruno UG 30 one input or two???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by oldfart, Aug 8, 2005.

1. oldfart

oldfart Member

Okay, you fellows that know all, here is a question for you. Most UG30's seem to have two inputs, a Hi and Low I assume, but some have just one. What do you know about that and what opinions do you have about it? Many thanks in advance.

2. scottcw

scottcw Low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

The latest version, within the last year or so, eliminates the channel without tone controls and has only one input.

3. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Greatest sounding amp made besides the Cowtippers! :dude Make sure you get it with verb.

I think you can also order it now with two channels, one with an EF86 in the front. I am VERY interested in one of these, but have not looked into it yet. :)

4. scottcw

scottcw Low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Opinions? I liked having both channels, but some have said that the non-reverb channel without tone controls is useless. I found that channel to be a great contrast to the reverb channel with tone controls.

The one big problem that I had with the amp was that any OD, fuzz, distortion pedal sounded horrible going in to the reverb channel. Something about having the reverb first in line before the pre-amp.

This is the way that I used it... Guitar > A/B/Y box > Channel A - OD and fuzz > non-reverb channel; Channel B - trem, delay, phaser (any time based effects > reverb channel.

The one thing that many have complained about is that it is LOUD and I agree.

5. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

FWIW, I actually liked the input that bypassed the tone stack...

6. Tag

I use an A/B box and use both channels. I have been using a Boss RV2 into the non reverb channel, and the amps natural reverb into channel 2. I use to be a guy who would NEVER EVER use a pedal for overdrive. The UG 30 changed all that. It takes pedals better than any amp I have owned, and I have owned a LOT of them. WAY to many. I just bought a very rare bruno stand alone reverb unit, so now I can use that into the secon channel as well, and also have a stand alone reverb in front of my Cowtippers if I choose that. The UG 30s reverb is in front of the amp, while the Cowtippers is after the preamp section I believe. (Like the built in fender units).

You can hear the UG 30 with a TREX Mudhoney pedal in front of the reverb channel here. It is the clip called PRS Blues, and IMO, is the sweetest tone imaginable. You can also hear the amp with a Fulldrive II in the clip "pop bop with an UG 30". I step on the box about 1\2 way through for more gain. Go here for the clips. http://www.soundclick.com/artist/6/tag101_music.htm

SMOKING tones! :dude

7. oldfart

oldfart Member

Well, thanks for the answers guys. This oldfart is now the owner of a Bruno UG30. Just got to get the shipping charge then I'll pay for it and it'll be on it's way. Can't wait.

About a year ago I bought and sold a Two Rock CR within a month because it didn't match up to my $500 Ampeg VL503. I will soon know the truth... does the UG30 stand up to the VL503 clean channel or will it be on its way too???? We know the build will win, but will the tone???? The answer soon. :D :D :dude :dude :cool: :cool:

8. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

Yep.I have that one. The EF86 side screams like an old vox but with more finesse. It is a liitle bit bassy for me at times though

9. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

So, for those of us that prefer less bass, does Tony have a mod that reduces this?

10. Tag

I wonder if its just that natural lower end heaviness that EF86 amps seem to have. In my DC 30, I always seemed to prefer the 12ax7 channel more for that reason. The 86 channel just seemd a bit lower mid heavy all the time. I would be willing to bet Tony could mod that channel anyway someone wanted it with no problem at all. Unless the two channels share the eq, because the regular channel on the UG 30 is so perfect. I would not want it altered at ALL. Do the two channels share the same eq?

11. Killa-B

Killa-B Member

EF86 tubes require a different type of tone control circuit. Does it have the 6 position click thang?

12. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

I don't think so. I think it is the basic voicing of this amp

It is actually mid-bass to my ears. nothing real low

in answer to the post before Tag, I have talked to Gene about having a revoiciing on the ef86 side, I would indeed like a kind of click option. I may scrape the $$ together and get it done soon. It really is a fine amp with a wondefrul feel, an airy quality and great note separation in OD mode.

See, TAG is just like a broken clock, he is right every once in a while ;) ;-)