Bruno UG30 Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GregS, Jun 29, 2006.

1. GregS

GregS Member

If you have any experience with a Bruno UG30, please help me with this question:

How loud does it have to get in order to hear the amp start to overdrive? I understand that the clean tone is great and the overdrive isn't bad either. However, if I'm playing it at home, will I be able to stand the volume necessary to hear the drive tone?

Thanks.

2. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

It gets pretty loud before it really gives up the goods.

The volume at that point is certainly bearable, but I found it hard to gig with in smaller clubs, because of the level required to get the "nice" breakup...

3. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

My UG30 breaks up sooner the more I crank the Presence control. But I personally would never use mine for home practice when there are very nice 6-watt amps out there. Why buy an amp only hoping to "stand" the volume?

4. lv

lv Supporting Member

Greg, I've been enjoying mine for the past 3 or 4 months through a 2x12 with G12H30's. IMHO, no, it will be too loud for home use if you plan on driving the amp to overdrive. Turning up the presence will get it to break up earlier, but I think you'll need an attenuator. The amp is f'ing loud!

5. Stephen Landry

Stephen Landry Member

I'll echo what everyone else has said. The UG30 sounds glorious, but its LOUD. I play at pretty loud volumes at home, but I still needed an attenuator to get the overdrive happening. Great, great amp. Wish I still had mine.

6. HaloMaster

HaloMaster Silver Supporting Member

Does the UG30 have a master volume? Does the amp have 2 channels, and does the clean channel take pedals well? I love the sound clips of these amps, and would love to try one!!!!!!!!!

7. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

UG30s generally do not have master volumes, but Tony has installed MVs on some by request. Some have 2 channels: normal/bright, or normal/EF86, but not clean/OD. Mine has 1 channel (I assume bright). They are incredible amps. I've had mine for 6 years now and can't see myself ever selling it. But they aren't for everyone's taste.

They aren't the most pedal-friendly amps ever (for that I'd nominate the Rt. 66 or the KT-45), but mine works very well with my Hotcake.

8. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

Very Loud for home use if pushed into OD. But nice cleanish sound at home. I use a pedal for OD.
    Too loud for any place I play when cranked up, even with a couple of stops on the attenuator. But I can get a nice full clean with some juice and use a pedal for OD.

9. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Agree with everyone. The amps tones are unbelievable, but to get into serious drive, it has to be LOUD. However, the T.Rex Mudhoney into the amp seems to give almost the EXACT same tone and feel as when the amp is cranked, at ANY volume! It is a magical combination. The Fulldrive II works fantastic as well. One of the most insane tone machines you can buy. The amp just rips with a Strat, les Paul, or PRS. I have a 3/10 combo that is ultracool. The reverb is a must have as well.

10. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

I wonder if there is any wiggle room as far as tuning the amp for earlier breakup, might be worth an E-mail to Tony.

11. Mac Daddy 355

Mac Daddy 355 MilkBone Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Also consider the speaker you use , some are cleaner than other's & break up sooner of later

12. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

+1................Maybe the best Amp Combo on the planet. [​IMG]