Bruno UG30-What a wonderful amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tclardy, Jul 28, 2005.

1. tclardy

tclardy Member

I recently purchased my Bruno UG30 head with reverb here from our very own tradarama.

I am very happy with the purchase to say the least. Oh man this is a sweet amp.

I have been playing through a Carr Rambler for the past two years. A wondeful amp in it's own right. But I had heard a couple of Brunos at the Dallas guitar show and knew I had to have one.

I looked for quite a while and finally got this one. I didn't spend big money on a cabinet. I bought an Avatar 2x12 with one G12H30 and a Blue. It sounds fantastic. Chimey cleans, nice distorted tones. Very punchy and articulate.

This amp is great with pedals too. I have not found one pedal out of my Tim, Ocd, Katana, and Keeley 808 that it doesn't love. Turn on the Java boost and it is Brian May type distortion.

You guys on this forum must have some killer amps from seeing your posts. I know the guy that sold me this had something he liked better, must be a killer amp cause this one sure is.

Thanks,
    Tim:p

2. cold_fusion

cold_fusion Suspended

So, how 'bout an A vs B comparison of the UG30 and the Rambler?...Bruno vs Carr!!!!
    tia

3. tclardy

tclardy Member

The Carr is pretty much blackface fender on the 28 watt setting and maybe a little darker on the 14 watt setting. Extremely nice clean on the high setting. Stays clean pretty loud. Needs pedals to get nasty. Lightweight. A real pedal Whore!

My dislikes are it is flabby and loose on the bottom and I am kind of burned out on the Fender clean tone. Everyone here in DFW seems to play on one.

I don't know what category to put the Bruno in. Chimier, much tighter on the bottom. Gets nice and dirty the more you turn the volume up. I love the way you can just use the volume to go from chimey clean to nice breakup. Works just as well as the Carr with pedals.

The clean is wonderful, nice and 3d and chimey. Distorted great too, with a little help you are getting some real nice lead tones.

Carrs are wonderful amps, but to me the Bruno is definately in another category. Can't imagine a much more versatile amp, great for rock, blues , jazz, whatever!

4. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

VERY GOOD, VERY GOOD!! Glad you are digging the amp. I think it is the best all around sounding amp ever made. :dude I agree with GP magazine on this one for SURE!! :D

"The Underground 30 was the solid winner in Guitar Player Magazine's Feb. 97 shootout of 23 boutique guitar amps. It was also awarded Guitar Player Magazine's highly coveted The Year's best Gear award for 1997 in their Nov. 97 issue."

If you want two KILLER overdrive pedals that work perfectly with the Bruno, try a Fulltone Fulldrive II and a T.Rex Mudhoney.

Now you have the tone, and all you have to do is PLAY.
    ENJOY!
    :cool:

By the way, I found the same thing you did vs. the Carrs. The Bruno is an entire level up when A\Bing them. The Carr sounds GREAT on its own, but next to a Bruno, very average sounding. :eek:

5. haslar

haslar Member

I was thinking about ordering a Bruno UG30 head w/reverb, but was put off by the price: $2899.00 !!
    Pretty high, and...
    ..as I live in France, I have to add about $350 for UPS, and add about 23% (import tax + VAT) !
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Pretty much out of reach from my financial possibilities, unfortunately.

There are not many boutique builders that charge over $2000 for a head, let alone for a single-channel amp. So I find myself looking at other boutique products (Germino, Aiken, etc.), at the risk of missing a great design.

I wonder if Tony Bruno has priced his products a little bit out of the market?

6. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Buy used whenever you can. That way, if you decide to part with it, you won't take a beating on the sale.

There are always a fair number of Brunos (and every other make) that come up on the For Sale market... you just have to keep an eye out and be ready to buy, when the time comes.

7. haslar

haslar Member

Dave: you are right.
    However, there is the voltage compatibility issue: 110V in the US, 220V over here.
    I can get a step-down transformer, but can't really get myself to doing it (they're usually big and heavy).

Aikens are great for that: there is a switch to adjust the input voltage, at the back of the amp. BTW I don't understand why this is not common practice among manufacturers. This would help guitarists who play on both sides of the pond.
    Plus, the manufacturer doesn't have to produce different amps for different parts of the world (the big guys have understood that for a long time!).

8. Dave Orban

If I were you, I'd wait 'til Randall is back up-and-running again.

That's what *I* will be doing... ;)

9. haslar

haslar Member

That's actually what I'm doing !! :D

(even though I'm GASsing for a Germino Club 40).

Those Aikens look like real-world, real-price, real-quality amps: I like that.

10. GasMask

GasMask Member

I'm not sure its fair to say it was "The" winner, but it was one of six they selected in the end as favorites. The Feb. '97 issue is in front of me and there was no single "winner." I know this came from the Bruno site.

That said, I really dig Bruno's!!!! :dude

11. Dave Orban

...besides which, a LOT has happened in the world of amps, in the 8 years that followed... ;)

12. Tag

Not sure about what is high priced or not, (Up to the individual) but IMO, taking into consideration the Brunos and TwoRocks are the only boutique amps that actually SOUNDED better than a Fender HR Deville, Mesa Tremoverb, SRRI, and other production amps I A/B them all with, I think they are well worth the prices! LOL! :)

13. Tag

Thats why I keep A\Bing my Brunos with everything I can find! Nobody has come up with anything yet! :D Remember too that Brunos amps have evolved a lot since then, although I will not even let him "upgrade" my "old" UG 30 because it sounds so damn good as is! :p

From a pure "price point", IMO, the Allesandro Working dog amps are very hard to beat.

14. Unburst

Unburst Member

15. ButchR

ButchR Komet Player Gold Supporting Member

The UG 30 at Ultrasound in NYC with the Bruno small 4x12 was incredible. I played that amp for a long time. The 4x12 is not much larger than a 2x12 cab.

16. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I love my UG30, the reverb is great, the cleans are great and crank it all the way up and it just sings. Welcome to the world of Bruno and prepare to be broke. I've had 5 and have kept 4.

I would love to hear that small 4x12! Is it in stock at Ultrasound? What speakers are in it?

17. ButchR

ButchR Komet Player Gold Supporting Member

I think it has 4 blues.

18. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

My Bruno UG30 1x12 combo is my favorite amp of all time. I find the overdrive tone on a bit lacking tho', so I kick it a bit with a Timmy and that is absolute perfection.

19. darko

darko Member

Richard, dont worry about the voltage issue, there are few wires on power trany which are allowing you to choose 220v. How I now? I live in macedonia (which is further away from france & usa) and when I received my UG30 one call with Tony solved everything. Wonderfull person, wonderfull amp.
    PS. dont feel too bad - I've paid ~800 usd to UPS + 40% in custom taxes...

20. Tag

I would love to try a TIM with mine. I would highly recommend you try a TRex Mudhoney as well. Its strange, but it sounds like a buzz box with my Cowtipper, but with the UG 30 it is friggin GREAT!. Its the box I used on "PRS BLUES" at my soundclick site below. Also, the Fulldrive II is PERFECT with it. Not sure which one I like better. The Fulldrive sounds even more "natural", but the T.REX FEELS GREAT, and sounds fantastic as well. Cant go wrong with either one. I tried the new Fulltone pedal (OCD or something like that), and I hated it. It sounded like a fuzz box. It was bad with every amp I own. Not what I expected at ALL.