Bruno Underground 30

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TaronKeim, Aug 21, 2005.

1. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Just had a couple questions, hopefully Tag can help me out. Heard that it can have too much Bass in some applications, any way around this? 2 channels, one without the Eq, one with? And is it true Tony will be offering one of the channels now with an EF86 pre? And will it have a 5 or 6 position tone selector switch? And I heard something about a mod to lessen the bass?

...yep... think thats all... sorry for the big run of questions, but this amp has me really wondering:dude

-TJK

2. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

It is true about it being a bass heavy amp, well, I have found that to be true since I play Les Pauls exclusively into mine. I keep the bass at @ 8 o'clock, treble and presence at @ noon, problem solved.

Wot's a 5-6 selector tone switch? Is that like an EQ?

3. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

5 or 6 positions for different EQ settings, you got'er bang on. I guess EF86 pre-amps need a different form of EQ-ing to operate best, hence all the click channels on Matchless, Bad Cat etc... stuff. Thanks for the reply, I play Tele's and PRS's so it's good to hear you're still running it a little bit on, I've heard some people say even with the bass right off its too bass heavy.

-TJK

4. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Mine is perfect as is! I would not change ANYTHING. Listen to my "help the poor with UG 30"clip for a Les paul into the UG 30. I also use PRSs (CU22s,Cu22 rosewoods, and Artist IIIS) and find it perfect. With a Strat or tele, it is beyond belief. If you HAD to have less bass, Im sure that would be a piece of cake for Tony, but it does not have to much for me at ALL. The bass stays tight and never flubs like a Matchless.

I too want to look into the EF86 model, I know nothing about it. That or a tweedy pie will be my next amp! :dude

5. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

With my humbucker equipped guitars the non-EQ channel was hopeless (which was frustrating because I was looking for that straight in, short signal path thing). With the bass nearly off I could use my Les Pauls (PAFs, so low output) on the other channel but it was still overall too loud. With an attenuator, inefficient speakers and the EQ it worked well.

6. Tag

Go here http://www.soundclick.com/artist/6/tag101_music.htm

Bruno with chords is a LP 58 RI straight in. Help the poor with UG 30 is a 59 LPRI straight in. Also check out "blues with an UG 30" and "Matchless UG 30 dual". You can see how much tighter the bass is compared to a matchless DC 30. :) It has slightly more bass than my 66 Pro reverb, and slightly less than my HR Deville. these are all VERY close. The difference is the bruno does not flub. If you are use to a Marshall, all of these have a lot of bass. ;)

7. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

I'm starting to think the extra bass everyone is talking about might have something to do with Tony voicing the amp around two cele blues which as we all know don't have the best bass response, maybe that is why there is complaints from some, and not from others...

Tag, you try an Underground 30 Anniversery yet?

-TJK

8. phoenix

phoenix Gold Supporting Member

my Bruno Cowtipper 22 is bass heavy. My UG30 is only slightly. perhaps one number back on the bass setting. Must be a Bruno thing. matches my single coil strats perfectly. dial it back on the humbuckers. Hopefully it will straighten out when it 'Blooms' as Ultrasound puts it.

[​IMG]

9. Tag

I have a 2\12 with Blues, and i do not like my UG 30 with them as much as with my G12h30s or the 3\10 eminence. I actually like my Cow 45 with them more than the UG 30. Go figure.
    I am wondering if many of these UG 30s are different years, and are voiced differently. My clip "bruno with chords" was done with a LP, and I do a chord melody whicj will DEFINATELY show up and bottom end heaviness. Listen to it, its perfectly balanced. :)

My Cow 22 seems to have a touch less bass than my UG 30, but it could be the speakers, I have to try them through the same cab to really tell.

Yes I have played an anniversary a few times! I did not have a "normal" one to A\B it with, but it sounded just like mine as far as I could tell. Mine has the NOS option, so besides the Trem and hardwoods, I think they are the same. The amp smoked just like they all do. It just eats up everything at Ultra to my ear. :dude

10. Moods

Moods Supporting Member

Hey Tag

Is this clip an A/B comparison with a Matchless DC30 and a UG30 after the ding? I'm listening to the clip marked "Matchless blues/Bruno A/B. If it is an A/B which amp is first? Bass response or not the first amp sounds better in every way to my ears. Both sound good but the first one has a nice authentic tone with great balance and character. The second one sounds slightly muffled by comparison and it has less character to my ear. I dig Matchless amps but I've never liked using one for blues. I like the tone you are getting on this clip either way. Sounds like a strat not a bucker equipped guitar. What guitar were you using? Thanks for sharing.

<M

11. Tag

No! Sorry for the confusion. The clip titled Bruno UG 30 Blues is the Bruno, and right under that the one tiltled Matchless Blues is the matchless.
    Both clips with the same strat straight in, and trying to get the best tone out of each amp. Listen again and see what you think.

12. GM1

GM1 Member

I run my UG30 with a 2x12 Bruno Cab. It is a mix of a Blue and a G12H30 and I don't find a problem with the bass at all. I just dial the bass to the point that sounds in balance with the other frequencies of my guitars usally around 11:00 oclock.

I think the EF86 front end would change the UG30 to a straight ahead Vox. I remeber talking with Ken Volpe about this mod. His comments were the EF86 is a bit darker.

I think speakers have a lot to do with how the UG30 deals with bass. I have never played a UG30 I liked that had only Blues as the speaker.

13. Moods

Moods Supporting Member

I like both tones. The Bruno definitely has more/tighter bottom and a fuller/bigger/tighter overall sound as you said. However, the attack sounds slightly muted and the upper mids sound slightly scooped... which isn't typically my cup o' tea. A great tone none the less. I like things a little bit more raw for blues... ala 65 Pro Reverb.

I do like the Bruno's tightness (in a good way). I thought that sounded like a strat. I thought you origianally said it was a Les Paul.

Thanks again for sharing.

<M

14. Tag

No problem thanks for listening twice! The Matchless definately has a much "rawer" tone. I liked the Matchless (still do!). To my ears the Bruno just sounds a lot sweeter with none of the flub. :)

15. Mac Daddy 355

Mac Daddy 355 MilkBone Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Try putting the Bass lower & presents up @ 12 to 1 o clock or more
    the presents acts as a master tone control

[​IMG][/IMG]

16. Tag

PLEASE stop posting pictures of those stunning looking hardwood Brunos.

(As the smell of jealousy fills the air)

17. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

Man those are beautiful!!

Mine is in the hands of UPS, scheduled to arrive tomorrow.:D :D

I have everything set up and ready for arrival.