BRUTAL noise in DAW, is it my old CRT monitor?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Blue Tile Fever, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Blue Tile Fever

Blue Tile Fever Member

I'm trying to record using Guitar Rig 5 VST w/Reaper but am getting this brutal background noise when i simply turn on record monitoring. It almost sounds like some kind of fan so i'm wondering if it's an internal computer case fan? I have the desktop on the floor, and the CRT monitor on the desk above it, with my monitors right next to it. Been reading up on CRT making more noise than an LCD, and also interference between them and monitors, especially when so close to each other. Any idea what my problem is? I've already tried a power conditioner and ebtech hum x which were both a waste of time. I can go in the next room and use my laptop noise free, but it's so obsolete i can't record without lots of latency and pops in the sound. I recorded a very short demo of this noise hoping maybe someone can identify what it is, please help!

http://soundcloud.com/bluetilefever/noise

2. mixwiz

mixwiz Member

A little deductive reasoning should work. Fire up Reaper, get it to make the noise and unplug the power for the CRT.

3. Scott Whigham

Scott Whigham Member

You might want to try an EMF meter and check around. Is that room/electrical outlet particularly close to the main power source for the home maybe?

I use this one - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015ENO6W. I bought it b/c we are "house shopping". I use it when I go to a potential home. I take it to what I expect to be the studio and test the room by walking around. There are a lot of things I can "fix" in a studio but rewiring/rerouting electrical would be too much work and I don't want to do it!

4. shawntp

shawntp Member

I have noticed some devices get noise at times when the USB cable for that device are wound up and too close to power cables/mic cables/etc. Specifically having the mic cable with phantom power wound up with the USB cable and possibly too close to others gave me noise.

Try separating things out and keeping the cables straight/etc. This might have nothing to do with what you are seeing but its worth checking. For me the interference/magnetic noise field/whatever was getting into my mic cable it seemed.

5. jbltwin1

jbltwin1 Member

Had something very similar to this when I tried recording with a dynamic mike in conjunction with a phantom powered condensor. Don't know if that's the case here but my Tascam sure doesn't like the combination.

6. Blue Tile Fever

Blue Tile Fever Member

Seems like it was a combo of my CRT and the monitors amplifying the noise even more. LCD to be bought on Monday, now i need to figure out where to place the monitors

7. jb4674

jb4674 Member

post a pic of your setup..